Ppl Who Transferred To UW With Or Without An AA-DTA, How Were Your Credits Evaluated?

Hello Everyone, I hope that all of you are having a good day today.

I’m here to seek guidance and advice from you all on whether I should transfer to UW without completing an AA-DTA or complete it first and then transfer to UW.

Please let me briefly explain my situation. I am a Washington state resident at a WA community college, and I already have 88 credits so far. However, I still need to do four 5-credit classes to be able to graduate with an AA-DTA at this college. ( I transferred a few credits to this college from a university that I attended before, so that’s why I need to take more classes at this current college to satisfy their requirements). I know that UW only recognizes 90 credits for lower division courses, and I already have 88 credits now.

My goal is to apply for an open major at UW. Currently, I’m torn between transferring to UW without completing an AA-DTA or just completing it and then transferring to UW.

I’m torn because:

1. I already have close to 90 credits
  2. I’m just not sure how UW evaluates students’ transfer credits, I don’t know if completing an AA-DTA means that more credits will get counted toward the undergraduate degree or if UW evaluates transfer credits on course by course-by-course basis regardless of whether the student completed AA or not
  3. I’m also torn because I may need to relocate somewhere else soon, and I may not be able to go to the CC for a quarter. So, if I want to complete an AA first and then transfer, this whole process will take a long time.

So, I was wondering if there’s anyone here or someone you know who transferred to UW from a Washington State community college? Did you (or someone you know) transfer with or without completing an AA-DTA? If so, how were your credits evaluated? Did most of them count toward satisfying the general education requirements of your undergraduate degree? Was there a huge difference between transferring with an AA or without an AA but with 60, 70, or 80+ credits?

I hope that I explained everything clearly. Thank you so much for reading thus far, and please don’t hesitate to share your wisdom and guidance if you feel like it. THANK YOU!

Transfer credit policies | Office of Admissions has University of Washington’s transfer credit policies.

WA CC Equivalency Guide | Office of Admissions has a list of course equivalencies for various Washington community colleges.

It shouldn’t matter whether or not you actually complete your AA.

I would highly encourage you to login to UW “MyPlan” and click “Find CTC Transfer Equivalency.” It will automatically pull over all your CC courses. This will give show you exactly how your credits will transfer and what gen ed requirements your courses will meet. You can also use the degree audit tool in MyPlan to determine how your CC courses will satisfy your UW major requirements. https://myplan.uw.edu/

Finally, I highly recommend attending a UW “Transfer Thursday” admissions presentation and meeting with an advisor afterwards. It’s super helpful and will help you make sure you’ve got all the info you need.