Pre-Law Program/Law School Admissions

<p>A couple questions…</p>

<p>Firstly, can anyone give me any information about the Pre-Law program at Bama? I’m looking at the website, but just wondering if anyone here has had personal experience with it. Specifically, is it normal/possible for students to join the program later (maybe before their sophomore year) as opposed before their freshmen year?</p>

<p>Secondly, does anyone have any information in regards to Law School admissions for UA graduates? I know that UA has an excellent law school of its own, but if I were to decide to attend law school elsewhere, how is UA’s track record for admissions? Obviously one’s GPA and LSATs are the most important factors, but the university from which one is coming matters too – is a top ten law school a realistic goal for someone coming from Bama?</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>Pre-law isn’t a major. A student can major in whatever he/she wants. You can decide to be pre-law whenever you want. A pre-law student doesn’t even have to take these classes. Law school admission is largely dependent on LSAT score and GPA in whatever you majored in.</p>

<p>Info from Undergrad catalog
[University</a> of Alabama Undergraduate Catalog 2010-12](<a href=“Page Not Found | The University of Alabama”>Page Not Found | The University of Alabama)</p>

<p>The pre-law program works with students who are interested in law as a career to plan the courses and experiences that will best prepare them for law school, to decide which specific schools are best for them, and to complete the application process. Students preparing for law school may pursue different disciplinary interests. Several departments in the College of Arts and Sciences, including the Department of Philosophy, the Department of Political Science, and New College, offer pre-law programs of study, but many other departments offer courses that prepare pre-law students. Student organizations, visits to the UA Law School, shadowing, and internships are important parts of the pre-law experience.</p>

<p>Unlike some pre-professional programs that require specific courses, the pre-law program emphasizes the importance of broad liberal arts preparation. Courses that require substantial writing are good preparations for law school, as are those courses that require logical thinking and the construction of arguments. Appropriate courses range from English and history, to economics and mathematics, to communication studies. Examples of appropriate pre-law courses include the following.</p>

<p>Courses Hours
EN 101 3
EN 102 3
COM 123 3
PSC 101 3
EC110 3
HY 101 or HY 203 3
HY 102 or HY 204 3
PHL 101 3
PHL 104 3
PHL 225 3 </p>

<p>The pre-law program advisor is the primary advisor for students who enter the University as pre-law until they declare a specific major. After that and for other students who have an interest in pre-law, the advisor is available as a secondary advisor to assist specifically with issues related to pre-law preparation.</p>

<p>Secondly, does anyone have any information in regards to Law School admissions for UA graduates?</p>

<p>those in Bama’s Honors College have some kind of preferred admission.</p>

<p><a href=“http://www.law.ua.edu/admissions/honors-program/[/url]”>http://www.law.ua.edu/admissions/honors-program/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>UA does have a very good Law School and there is nothing wrong with going to Undergrad and Law School at the same institution. However…law schools base their admit not only on your GPA and LSAT but also on letters of recommendation and your personal statement. I happen to know that the latter two (Letters and statement) hold as much weight as the LSAT and GPA and in many cases are the deciding factor in whether a student is admitted or not . DH did both his undergrad and law school at the same institution of higher learning. This did not hinder him from finding a job at a top firm when graduating. I will tell you now that attending a top ten law school does not guarantee you a job at a top tier firm when graduating. Jobs in the “big” firms are quite competitive, most of them going to the top tier individuals in a graduating class (think top 5 individuals). Realistically now days being in the top 20 is imperative for jobs in big firms in major cities. Things like Law Review and summer clerkships contribute greatly to where you may gain employment. We have been on both sides of this fence…DH and I were married through law school and then he went on to be the partner in charge of the summer clerks for his firm for quite a few years.<br>
If you are truly interested in this path I would suggest you go over to the law school after you are settled into school. Find a professor in the field you might be interested in, meet with him and develop a relationship…it will help you in the long run. You might also look into the programs that have been mentioned above. DH found the honors program quite interesting.Good luck!</p>

<p>Would it be possible for a student in CBHP to work with a law professor? If so, that would be a great way to develop the relationship aphimommy describes.</p>

<p>I think anything is possible. DH began a relationship with two different law school professors as an undergrad. He helped with research for books and articles both were working on. During law school those relationships grew and both professors asked DH to help more extensively with books each was writing. DH actually got credits in both publications. His work on the UCC Code actually led him to his path of employment after law school and has continued to foster a very successful career. One of those professors currently teaches at Alabama! So I am sure knowing how wonderful the Honor college is and what a fantastic Law school faculty UA has…anything is possible…you just have to ask. What’s the worse they can say …“no” and I doubt that…they will try to make it work.</p>

<p>Thanks, Ahpimommy (sorry for butchering your name earlier). Sounds like a plan to me. Got a few obstacles to clear, namely finishing the junior year strong, having that state cut-off for NM not go up, getting into Bama HC and CBHP. Just trying to watch the road and look ahead at the same time. ;)</p>

<p>Good luck…when you get to the part that you are on your way to Bama let me know and we will see if we can arrange an “introduction” to our friend at the law school :slight_smile: Also just a suggestion…my DH helped several boys who were in our sons high school graduating class to obtain , for lack of a better word, “internships” with a large global law firm in town. Not sure where you live but if you are truly interested in law, calling and asking if this type of opportunity is available would not hurt. Like everything else in life networking is to your advantage! Good luck am keeping fingers crossed that it all works out! Don’t worry about the name…I answer to lots of different ones :)</p>

<p>My DS is double majoring in Finance and Political Science and minoring in History and planning on going to law school. If you graduate with honors and are a resident of Alabama, you do not have to take the LSAT to be admitted to UA’s law school. Nice perk…though my DS plans on taking the LSAT anyway. My oldest DS just took a Kaplan course and raised his LSAT score 10 points!!! He has (so far) been admitted everywhere he has applied and is finalizing his decision. He would have LOVED to have had that UA perk of no LSAT!!!</p>

<p>Regina, my son also intends to go on to law school. He is majoring in History. He’ll be in Riverside East, near where you’ll be.</p>

<p>Matchmaker, matchmaker, make me a match…</p>

<p>(Only kidding!! I can carry this Helicopter Mom Thing just sooo far…)</p>

<p>Thank you everyone…my father, who is an attorney himself, has been trying to talk me out of a career in law due to the current job market – I’ve tried to stray away and think about other career options recently, but being a lawyer is the only thing I’ve ever really wanted to do. I will certainly head over to the law school when I arrive at UA this year and try to make some contacts with professors there. I would be beyond thrilled if I could find a way to get involved in something related to law during my undergrad.</p>

<p>LadyDi - LOL! I am not sure about this whole matchmaker thing, but I certainly wouldn’t say no to a friend who lives near me and has similar interests! Feel free to PM me if you want my Facebook or whatever.</p>

<p>reginaphalange: My son and two suite mates are considering law school. They have a variety of majors from chemical engineering/political science to political science/journalism to mathematics/economics/political science. So there is no limit as to what a student can study to prepare for a career in law. The great thing about many law programs, including UA’s, is that a student can also earn a masters or doctorate in another discipline while attending law school. This would further prepare a student for a career in the corporate or government world.</p>