Pre-Med at CUNY Baruch

<p>Is it a good idea to transfer from a private university to a Cuny? I am currently going to a top 50 national university but the costs are extremely high. I don’t mind staying here but if cuny baruch gives the same education, why should I pay private university price. Does anyone have any experience with Baruch? I am planning on transferring in the spring 2013 semester pursuing premed with a business major. Any advice/ tips would be greatly appreciated.</p>

<p>I currently go to Baruch. PM on what school you go to and what major you are planning to do at Baruch. I’ll give you a more detailed and my personal experience at Baruch through PM</p>

<p>I’m sorry @nycdave. I would not recommend transferring to Baruch. It is simply not worth it. I would advise considering SUNY Geneseo, in addition to OOS schools that give lots of aid (WUSTL has a great pre-med program, and a good business school; Vanderbilt gives tons of aid, USC same as WUSTL, etc.).</p>

<p>I agree with yakov. But I also think you should consider SUNY Binghampton in addition. And besides the education issues I think it’ll be a big shock to go from a top 50 to a CUNY. You might be very unhappy during your time there, IMO.</p>

<p>check out SUNY Stony Brook, great pre-med program. Nearly everyone is pre-med.</p>

<p>I started out at SUNY Stony Brook and transferred to Baruch. Contrary to what was said, I loved Baruch a LOT more than Stony Brook and found that getting good grades was a bit easier than that of Stony Brook. Of course, when I was at SB, they had a strict bell curve.If you are apply for pre-med, your GPA is CRUCIAL and NOT the school that you attended. Say that five times!</p>

<p>Taxguy…we are talking about premed and based on you name, we can assume you went to Baruch for…business. I would have to agree with others here that while you can get a good education at all of the 4 year schools in CUNY, there are better programs for premed (I think Queens is far better for premend, you go to Baruch for accounting). This does not include the many fine private schools in NYC with super high med school placement rates. I understand the SUNYs are really strong for pre-med: Stony Brook, Albany, BIghamton and Buffalo. Keep in mind Stony Brook and Buffalo have medical schools.</p>