Pre-med Shadowing Opps

<p>Attention Pre-Med Students:</p>

<p>This is to inform you that the UMC Shadowing application is now live on our Prehealth website under the “Resources” tab! If you are interested in shadowing with UMC in the Spring please go online and fill out the shadowing application. You can access the application here <a href=“UMC Shadowing Application – Prehealth Program”>UMC Shadowing Application – Prehealth Program</a> . The deadline to apply is August 20, 2014. Sophomores and Juniors will be given priority.</p>

<p>Please indicate all blocks of time you are available to shadow. You must be available from 8:30 – 12:00 or 1:30 – 5:00. You will be placed in a University Medical Center clinic one morning or one afternoon a week based on your and the clinic’s schedule. You may leave up to 30 minutes early if you have a class conflict, but you must be available at the start of the clinic and must shadow for at least 3 hours. </p>

<p>Rob Larocco
Academic Advisor, Health Professions
College of Arts & Sciences
The University of Alabama
(205) 348-1643
<a href=“mailto:rrlarocco@ua.edu”>rrlarocco@ua.edu</a></p>

<p>How can would a student know when they would be available in the Spring now?</p>

<p>I agree it would be hard. The shadowing is one day a week, so I would look at last spring’s online course schedule and try to figure out when I would and wouldnt be in class for next spring…based on the classes that I would be taking. </p>

<p>I am guessing that students will be trying to either have mornings off or afternoons off on either MWF or T Th.</p>

<p>for students who just cant fit this in, they can shadow doctors in their home-towns over summers or locally in Ttown.</p>

<p>Can new students do this? I don’t have GPA yet.</p>

<p>Paul - You would have to know your Spring schedule. You don’t even know your Fall schedule yet!</p>

<p>And you’re doing Emerging Scholars in the Spring, aren’t you?</p>

<br>

<br>

<p>Frosh can apply, but as you can see, you won’t have a priority.</p>

<p>Paul, if you will be doing ES, then that will take a lot of your time, and is super important for your resume.</p>

<p>Thanks @dodgersmom‌ and @mom2collegekids‌
But if I had a choice to do either one, which one will be more important? ES? or UMC health shadowing?</p>

<p>Why do you have to choose? You are lucky enough to have been selected for Emerging Scholars (when many, many other applicants were not!), and you can do premed shadowing your sophomore, junior, or even senior year. Why do you feel like you need to do it NOW???</p>

<p>But it doesn’t really matter anyway. You do NOT know what your schedule will be in the Spring, so there’s no way for you to sign up for shadowing now, even if you want to. Predicting your schedule will become easier in future years, and that will make it easier for you to sign up for shadowing.</p>

<p>By the way, I find your question an odd one. Which is more important - ES or UMC health shadowing? Important to whom? If you’re trying to plan your college career to please someone else, it’s not going to be a very happy four years. Do what interests you. If your goal is to continue on to med school, there are a lot of ways to get from here to there. Once you’re on campus, you can meet with the premed advisor and come up with a plan that suits your personal goals and interests. It is NOT “one-size-fits-all”!</p>

<p>It is MUCH better to do the ES thing. Med schools are going to be more impressed by any research you do then following doctors around. Yes, you will need to do some shadowing, but that can easily be done later. Do the research opps when you can.</p>

<p>Is your mom going to move to Tuscaloosa next summer?</p>

<p>Thanks @mom2collegekids‌ and @dodgersmom‌ .
I know that i am interested in both but i want to do the one that will make me more prepared for med school…
Yes most likely.</p>

<p>@paul2752‌ </p>

<p>I know it is important not to have many/any missteps as a premed because med school admissions is so crazy. However, the ES program will look far better on your med school app than add’l shadowing. </p>

<p>As for mom…
Hopefully she can move here by the end of April/May 1 of next year so that you can transition from dorm to her home (no point in wasting money flying you/your-stuff back to the west coast, only to have mom move here later in the summer.). Living here next summer will also open up shadowing opps that you can do here over the summer. </p>

<p>Do you know when you will get your green card? </p>

<p>As soon as you can, apply to tutor at UA tutoring center. I think that tutoring Bio and Chem will keep those subjects fresh in your head for when you take the MCAT.</p>

<p>When I will get green card will depend on when my mom gets it. She just applied, and her case is really simple:" invitation" from a child 21+ old(my sis) Assuming there isn’t a jerk in Immigration department who hates my mom(lol) she should be able to get it by lets say, at the latest next May or June.</p>

<p>Then I will apply. If I consider the time to do paperwork etc, I will get it like,2.5 years later from now on? Probably when I am like Junior or Senior. Pretty sure to get it before the time to apply for UAB med school. If not, I will be REALLY screwed up. </p>

<p>?
Can your sister only “invite” your mom? Can she invite you now as well? If so, that would be better. </p>

<p>I wouldnt take any chances, because if you dont have status, your chances of getting into a US MD school will plummet. </p>

<p>Nope. This is how it works:</p>

<p>If a child over 21+ invites parents, the parents will definitely get green card within 9 months.</p>

<p>If a person over 21+invites a sibling, he/she will get it in 7 years.</p>

<p>The time may be a bit shorter than 7 years in 2nd case but it’s definitely longer than a case which a citizen invites parents… So: Sis invites mom -> mom invites me when she becomes a perm -> me becomes a perm within 3 years from now -> some time before applying to US MD. </p>

<p>What sort of visa have you all been on up until this point?! I thought you have been in this country 4 years already. </p>

<p>F-2 visa during high schools.</p>

<p>How long one lives here is just one of many requirements. Even if I applied during high school, I would get a green card 6-7 years from then anyway. That’s like my junior year in college.</p>

<p>fingers crossed that this all works out in a timely manner!</p>

<p>Thank you</p>