Pre-med?

<p>How is the pre-med track at University of Wisconsin - Madison?</p>

<p>Physician here. There is no prescribed “premed track”. Premed is an intention, not a major. You choose the major that most interests you and take the required for medical school courses. The ones chosen depend on your interests- for example a chemistry major could choose Chem 115-116, others may choose Chem 109… or 103-104… to meet chemistry requirements. Whatever you choose try to challenge yourself and get the best undergrad education you can- not just to look good but to get used to studying as well as including courses you won’t have time for later. Choose your college based on the best fit- people get into medical schools from many diverse schools.</p>

<p>Another physician here. Wis75 is absolutely right. I’ll add a couple of more thoughts. </p>

<p>You might be tempted to chase down stats like percentage of UW grads that get into med school. Don’t. There are plenty of colleges that are “med school mills.” They attract students that see only one goal in life. Every ounce of energy is spent padding a resume or making others look worse. The cut throat mentality changes your soul. And, not for the better. </p>

<p>What I am saying is that you should not limit your college experience to the study of science and the acceptance to med school. The best doctors are those that think critically and with compassion. You don’t get the fullest understanding of what I am talking about by focussing on med school like a laser. I was one of those laser guys and I have spent a lifetime trying to see the world and my patients in a broader sense. I wish I had spent more time in the liberal arts. I think that I could have made a greater impact on my patients as a more understanding and sensitive physician. When all is said and done, it is not the position you hold or the respect from your peers that matters. It is the feeling you get after a long day at work…the feeling of knowing that you have done good. </p>

<p>I am certain that UW is an excellent school for a pre-med program. Not just because it offers the best professors and plenty of research opportunities, but because it offers a wide scope of experiences. My advice to you is to consult with an advisor and to take all the prerequisite courses. But, make sure you broaden your academic scope. Embrace literature, history, art and all the humanities In the end, it will make you a better med school candidate and a better doctor.</p>

<p>And that’s all I gotta say about that.</p>

<p>Etherdome has excellent points. My physician husband is from India, where he got a good medical education but only the medical degree with no time for the other courses I was able to take by first getting a bachelor’s degree from UW, then doing medical school. Art History, Symphony, Fantasy and Science Fiction… room in my schedule for those and many others, with no regrets, along with my first love, chemistry. Physicians include many science, especially biology, majors in the ranks but ask around and you will find those who followed their passions for both medicine and nonrelated fields. It is tougher to fit in the required premed courses when choosing a nonscience major- but it can be done and worth it to follow a second passion while you have the time.</p>

<p>Thanks Ether! That’s great. From a decidedly non-science UW Grad my world was blown open by Tim Allen in Botany and the ILS program series on science. </p>

<p>One of the world’s great historians and UW Professor wrote this and I just love it. Good stuff for the young. His ten point list is I find, a stimulus for life long learning and continuous improvement.</p>

<pre><code> http://www.williamcronon.net/writing/Cronon_Only_Connect.pdf
</code></pre>

<p>Medical school faculty member and admissions committee member here. I do not like to hear pre-med. I like to hear someone pursing an education and a major they feel will prepare them to help others as a physician, and be able to tell that story well and with sincerity in an essay and hopefully in an interview. The “track” you follow is what you make of it. Your RIGOROUS courses (we can see through soft courses) and your enriching experiences. You have the opportunity to build this at a school with a great reputation in the sciences like Wisconsin, but you need to take advantage of it. Do find out about the health professions advising available early and make use of it, and not just when you think you are ready to apply. It is a big plus to have a fantastic medical school right on campus in Madison, a great resource, but you need to find out what is available to help you determine this is the right path for you and to give you the experiences to show you know what you are in for.</p>