UW - madison does/does not have pre-med?

<p>So, I was looking at colleges that have pre-med and I live in WI so Madison was an obvious option, but I heard that madison doesn't have pre-med, but pre-health courses. Is that true? and if so, what is the difference? Which is better? Isn't the point of pre-med to prepare you for the MCAT?</p>

<p>they dont have premed as a major, but they have a course schedule that will set u up for med school.</p>

<p>Which is better? Course schedules for med school or having pre-med as a major? Which is more beneficial towards the MCAT?</p>

<p>You might want to look at the Pre-Med forum:</p>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/pre-med-topics/[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/pre-med-topics/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>physician here. Premed is NOT a major, it is an intention. You are best off taking the prerequisites for both a major of your choice and to get into medical school if that is your goal. Many students change their mind about medical school once they begin college, or they don’t get in. You can start your freshman year taking some of the courses that will meet medical school requirements, check with the premed organization for more help when in college and go from there.</p>

<p>One of my freinds majored in Indian Studies and took some extra science classes on the 5 year plan. Went on to UMInn Med School and is now a surgeon in LA.</p>

<p>The above is an example of choosing your major for your interests- it works. Definitely use your undergrad college years to explore topics that interest you- no time in grad/med school. A well rounded education, not just job prep/getting into the next level school, is important. Skip any anatomy or other classes in an effort to prelearn medical school material- it won’t impress anyone, you will be able to learn the needed material in medical school and you will waste time you could spend on courses you can’t take later.</p>

<p>btw, you can go to any college undergrad, but- medical schools do take the college you attend into consideration and you can get a more challenging curriculum at the better schools (UW is the best school in this state, including privates).</p>