Premed

How is cal poly for premed. I am mostly concerned on how rigorous premed is at cal poly. I have talked to some students and some students talked about how rigorous some classes were at cal poly. The reason for the rigour was due to a lack of a class curve in math classes and some science classes. Can anyone give more insight on this?

There is no pre-med per se at Cal Poly. How departments grade is all over the map. If I recall, Chemistry and Math can be pretty tough. Search Reddit. Someone usually posts a pic of departmental grade breakdowns.

Is it true that many engineering majors are easier? The grade breakdown shows that most engineering majors have a very high percentage of As and Bs.

Easier is a matter of how you qualify it. Some engineering majors like BME have a very high percentage of As and Bs. BME hovers around 90%. It attracts VERY highly qualified students though as it’s super competitive to get in. The subject material is very complex with much more math and physics and then courses that apply those concepts than a typical pre-med would encounter. ME on the other hand is one of the toughest grading majors at the university, hovering at 60% A/B and 10% F. Long story short, ease and grading are different. I’d contact the pre-health career advisers and query them about which majors place the highest number of grads into professional programs (medicine, dentistry, optometry, podiatry, etc.).

https://prehealth.calpoly.edu/medicine