Preparing for scheduling @Bama Bound?

<p>Son is scheduled to attend Bama Bound later this month at one of the Honors College sessions. Looking for suggestions on what he should do to be adequately prepared heading into the scheduling session. At this point he plans to major in English. We have gone through to see what credits he has based on AP’s so far. Not sure if he will have current AP exam scores back by then. Would like for him to be as prepared as possible for the session with some backup courses in mind.</p>

<p>Thanks for the help.</p>

<p>Randy</p>

<p>I’m doing the same thing and I have a preferred schedule planned, and I know what classes I would like to take in case I don’t get into everything I want. You can see your required classes by going to DegreeWorks. Then, go to “look up classes” on MyBama and search for classes your S might want to take. Keep in mind some of the UH classes are good options too. Is he doing AA/OA?</p>

<p>There is a way to pay extra to get the AP scores early by phone. I’m not sure of the date, but it might me worth checking on.</p>

<p>I’d make sure you have a few schedules planned out as options and I’d also recommend walking the schedules when you are on campus to be sure they work as far as getting to and from the different buildings in time.</p>

<p>July 1st is the earliest you an get the scores by phone, so no, you will not have them end of May, unfortunately. </p>

<p>My understanding is that you just guess on the score. If you are wrong, then you can change the schedule once scores come back. </p>

<p>From what I have read, it is not uncommon for students to make a number of changes to their schedules after the initial bama bound registration.</p>

<p>From another post…</p>

<p>They should come to Bama Bound with a Weeklong Grid that has these options listed (including the CRN numbers to plug in).</p>

<p>So, create an Excel file with 6 columns across…Time, Mon, Tues, Wed, Thurs, Friday. and, many rows below marked in half hour increments starting at 8 am. In each time allotment, put 2-3 options. </p>

<p>TAKE CAREFUL note of any classes that are only offered in the Fall or Spring…especially if that’s a pre-req for another class.</p>

<p>2) If they already know what AP credits they have, then they can apply those as needed and plug in other classes in those spots. If they don’t yet have scores, they can either guess that they got the needed score and select the higher class, or retake the class. </p>

<p>3) & 4) Bama doesn’t have “honors advisors” like a smaller honors college might. There are just too many kids and too many majors for a few honors counselors to know all the req’ts. The selection of honors classes is really up to the student. Bama can’t really require that a STEM major take Honors Chem or Honors Bio, since that section might not work with a schedule or the student may have AP credits. </p>

<p>If a student needs a Fine Arts Core Req’t, then he can choose one of the Honors FA offerings. It’s really up to the student to make his selections.</p>

<p>Students get approval from the advisor of their major. If they have a question about a particular honors class, an Honors College administrator can answer the question.</p>

<p>Keep in mind that while an advisor signs off on a schedule, the student has the freedom to later change, add, remove any class he wants. Kids tweak their schedules many times over the summer after Bama Bound. An additional signature isn’t required.</p>

<p>When a kid registers, he needs to go to the Add/Drop link and just plug in the CRNs at the bottom of the page…there will be little rectangle boxes at the bottom for each CRN.</p>

<p>If one class is nearly full, just do that one, register, and then go back and plug in the rest.</p>

<p>Hi M2CK,
You must be a mind reader, as I was just starting to panic that my son and I are not prepared adequately for the May 31 - June 1 Bama Bound session. Michael will be bringing in 30 credits due to a heavy AP schedule so we can afford to be creative in thinking about his schedule. As always your information is amazingly helpful and much appreciated.</p>

<p>I’m stressing out about this, too…but can’t really do anything more until S is done with AP’s and one last project for World History. I’ve put together some tentative ideas for schedules but I don’t think we can finalize anything until we see what classes open up between now and Bama Bound.</p>

<p>Hi RTRMom2,
Yes, stressful times, but exciting as well. This is our first going off to college, and everything seems a blur right now. All we are 100% sure of is that the single most important decision, the school, was the right one! We love UA.</p>

<p>I thought the students registered at Bama Bound. Do the advisors not assist with class selection?</p>

<p>The students do register at BB. The advisers can and do help with selection.</p>

<p>It would be less stressful to have a plan in place. Imagine 200 kids running to input their class numbers when the hold is lifted. You want to be prepared and to have backup classes in case one of your classes is full.</p>

<p>Thanks for the advice. I looked at the classes, but many of them say closed. Will they open spaces later?</p>

<p>Cuttlefish - is it 200 kids per BB session?</p>

<p>I looked up the number of frosh from last year and they totaled 5772. So there are 19 BB sessions. </p>

<p>5772/19 = approx 303 students per BB. So I will amend my previous post. :)</p>

<p><a href=“YouA moves from Youtube - The Crimson White”>YouA moves from Youtube - The Crimson White;

<p>pblack: I do believe they hold back spaces in freshman classes and release them at each BB. It is a great idea!</p>

<p>Cuttlefish - thanks, I had no idea how many kids there would be and have been wondering what to expect. </p>

<p>I would advise you parents to sit down with your kids now and go over the course list. Also there are some great threads on here that will give you a lot of information. Read everything you can before you get to BB, it will be worth it.</p>

<p>Thanks, Cuttlefish. This forum is very helpful.</p>

<p>*Thanks for the advice. I looked at the classes, but many of them say closed. Will they open spaces later?
*</p>

<p>Most of the frosh classes are closed right now to prevent upper classmen from taking those spots.</p>

<p>Thanks…so should my son write some of those class numbers down as choices? We were confused.</p>

<p>pblack: Thank you, I love to help out. I guess that is paying it forward. I received so much info last year and the year before from these kind people on this forum. M2CK is definitely the reason we found UA. </p>

<p>Your S should make a master schedule with the classes he wants and needs. The class scheduling is only this nerve-wracking at BB. Once your S registers for classes in the spring he will just do it online. He will have some priority registration if he has AP credits or DE credits.</p>

<p>Thanks, Cuttlefish123. Your information certainly helps us in preparing for BB. We will take your advice. I am relieved to know that it will become easier as we go.</p>