Presidential for 2017-18

[QUOTE=""]
We don't know how many of those remaining OOS students either received no scholarship awards, or awards that were small enough that their net tuition cost was still higher than instate rates. <<<

[/QUOTE]

So, are we to understand that any tuition cost that is greater than the AL resident tuition cost is considered “full pay”?

I can see saying that UA OOS full pay would be less expensive than private but not much more than in-state? If that’s true I am glad I don’t live in one of those states. Because 40,000 is way to expensive for us…

In our case, SUNY Binghamton is the benchmark, if he is accepted. They rarely give merit-aid and we won’t qualify for need-based aid, so full price is around $24,000/yr. This will be the price against which we will measure all other packages. So in the case of UA, with room and board around $12,000, if we can get UA tuition and fees down to $12,000 or below, its a better deal. Which means he needs to get at least a 29 on his ACT (based on 2016-2017 scholarships).

@MichiganGeorgia, Penn State, in state, has a COA of $35,000 a year. (Pitt is $34,000, Temple $32,000.)

Is another $5,000 worth it to a family whose student who would like to go to school in another/warmer/Southern state and/or didn’t get accepted to University Park? If they can afford it (and many can), you betcha. Same thing with NJ residents, where Rutgers in state is $31,000 a year.

Forty thousand was way too expensive for us, too, but we know lots of people who are full pay at privates, shelling out $60,000 a year.

<<<
But, given the automatic scholarships, it would seem that the full pay OOS students would have an ACT of 26 or below. Are these the students desired by UA to raise its stature? OOS wealthy students who are not the top students?

How many is a WHOLE lot?
<<<<

@IlliniDad18 Very large schools have all sorts of majors. Most of those majors do NOT require students to be ACT 30+ type of students.

You seem to under the impression that most/all successful folks are the brainy ones with high scores. Not necessarily. Some majors and careers are better suited for the right-brained person who may not be a great test taker, but is certainly a smart person who will excel. Those with ACT 25 and 26 are around the top 80-83% of test takers. ACT 27 and 28 students get such small awards that they’re almost full-pay, and are the top 87-90% of test takers.

One of my friend’s DDs had an ACT 26…full pay OOS. She got her undergrad and grad degrees at Bama and is now a successful licensed dietitician. that’s an admirable career that requires “smarts” but not rocket-scientist smarts.

<<<
So, are we to understand that any tuition cost that is greater than the AL resident tuition cost is considered “full pay”?
<<<

No…but those who are paying, say, at least $16k per year in OOS tuition are probably helping pay the light bill.

@LucieTheLakie Your points are right.

When my kids were at Bama, I met 10 families from one Calif high school at Family Weekend. I asked them why they were paying full freight at Bama. they said that their kids didn’t get into UCLA or UCB and they wanted the full college experience and football…and couldn’t get that really at the other UCs. They said that paying for Bama was worth it…and not all that much more as long as they opted for standard doubles dorms, instead of suites. They didn’t mind the doubles because at the UCs, the frosh often get triples.

UA OOS Scholarship page is now updated to 2017-2018! Now has new SAT score req’d.

PRESIDENTIAL SCHOLAR

A student with a 32-36 ACT, 1400-1600 old SAT score or 1450-1600 new SAT score and at least a 3.5 GPA will be selected as a Presidential Scholar and will receive the value of tuition, or $107,800 over four years ($26,950 per year). Students graduating with remaining tuition scholarship semester(s) may utilize these monies toward graduate school and/or law school study at UA.