Question on Presidential Scholarship SAT score requirement

<p>A question for all of you long time posters/Alabama gurus. My DS and I visited the campus this summer and he fell in love with everything about the place (his “take it with a grain of salt” "ol man as well). His 1st try at the SAT (he’s a Junior) just received his scores this morning, netted him a 1430 combined CR and Math. I realize that this (with other requirements, which will not be a problem) place him in the catagory of qualifying for the wonderful Presidential Scholarship (keeping fingers crossed on the PSAT scores out in December as well). Does anyone in the know have a gut feeling as to if the SAT score requirement component of the scholarship has a chance (good or bad) of changing/modifying as he plans to apply this summer. He’ll certainly retake the SAT, possibly several times before the application process in hopes of increasing his scores. I just wanted to get a feel for if we should be jumping up and down doing the “Touchdown Dance”, or have a quite confinence about the whole situation. Did I forget to mention that he loved the place?</p>

<p>I’ve love to hear the answer to this, as well as a ‘history’ of the Presidential Scholarship SAT/ACT score requirements for the past few years.</p>

<p>My daughter was fortunate enough to score high enough on her first ACT so she is signed, sealed, and delivered to Alabama for fall 2014! Roll Tide!</p>

<p>Congrats on your dd’s success! I’d love for my son to join her and all of the other talented students at Alabama…hopefully someone will share their sage prognostications with us shortly…Roll Tide!</p>

<p>No one knows yet what the class of 2018’s scholarship offers will be. You’ll just have to wait it out until next August (think it’s August) when they announce what the requirements will be. Sorry.</p>

<p>The request here was for an educated guess based upon history of the scholarship…I do realize we have to wait to be sure…</p>

<p>I think things are changing at UA and not sure we can use the past to predict the future. My “educated guess” is that it will give you at least 2/3 tuition. I do think there will be a point where the bar will be raised a notch or two - I think the only question is when that will happen.</p>

<p>Hopefully the needed scores will stay the same. Just the same, tho, he should retest.</p>

<p>Congrats!!!</p>

<p>Thanks for the reply…</p>

<p>Don’t forget for him to try his hand at the ACT too!</p>

<p>And BTW, congrats on the already very fine score.</p>

<p>Thnx Latte…he wants to stick w/the SAT and announced today after school that he’ll take it a few more times to increase it (the score)…has high hopes that he did extremely well on the PSAT in Oct. (fingers crossed)…seemed to be walking on a cloud when he got home from discussing it w/classmates today…hope it all works out for him…thanks to all for the input/insights</p>

<p>I also have a junior son who would love to head to Bama. He has quite a ways to go though to get his ACT score to the 32 and hopefully that won’t increase. He plans on testing this February and April and then could still try a couple more times if needed.</p>

<p>Best of luck to your son in all of his attempts linnylu…</p>

<p>if he killed the PSAT then might he be a candidate for NMF? if so, then he won’t need to raise his score for the presidential.</p>

<p>That was the plan all along…his High School selected about 25 students that had shown promise on their 10th grade PSAT scores to put them through a rigorous PSAT tutoring program spaning the last quarter of 10th grade and the 1st quarter of 11th (about 8hrs a week and practice testing every Saturday for 2 1/2 hrs) at the end he was getting scores in the 225-230 range…with the Oct. PSAT out of the way…he wanted to take the Nov. SAT with all that knowledge swimming around in his head (I think he was a little burnt out on the whole process though) …he gave it a shot with no work on the essay (which he didn’t do very well on) and got the positive result…he can’t wait for the score to come out in December…he feels like he’s playing with house money now…will continue to try and increase his score on a more sane pace and if he gets the qualifying PSAT, all the better…maybe the 1430 will hold up?</p>

<p>Even if one gets a high PSAT, the SAT/ACT score must be high enough to “confirm” it before the NMF is awarded, so it makes sense to continue testing to improve the SAT/ACT scores.</p>

<p>i know that, but there is a pretty good change he will already have the score to confirm.</p>

<p>He scored in the 2100’s on this 1st try (1960, I believe is the confirmation score) and all other reqs. are in order (weighted GPA 5.2 -as listed on his school transcript) no C’s Grades 9-11 (or ever) and no demerits of any kind…I think that covers all of the bases if he gets the score. TXArchitect, I believe we’re in the same line of work.</p>

<p>He already has his “confirming score”. Students only need a 1960.</p>

<p>D accepted but ACT a point off for PS. She can’t take test again in Dec
Does anybody know if latter date accepted for scholarship?</p>

<p>Did she sign up for the Dec SAT?</p>

<p>Bama website says that Dec is the latest date. In the past, the latest dates were Oct & Nov…Bama extended to Dec this year. </p>

<p>When would the next ACT be? February?</p>

<p>What’s her major?</p>