Presidential Scholarship and FAFSA Application

DS has received Presidential and Eng. Scholarship and will be a freshman in Fall. I know we should probably complete the FAFSA application but we have not done so yet (I know our EFC will exceed room and board fees). I just wanted to be sure that submission of the FAFSA application is not required to receive the Presidential. I am aware the scholarship is merit and not need based, but just wanted to double-check. Also, if we don’t complete the FAFSA for next year and our financial situation changes in the future, a FAFSA application can be submitted for future years. Is that a correct assumption? Thanks!

You are correct the FAFSA is not required for Presidential and/or engineering scholarship and the only reason to complete it would be if you want and/or need federal loans. If you do decide to get a federal loan, the FAFSA can be completed later, the deadline does not need to be met to receive loans.

You are also the FAFSA can be completed each year and if your financial situation changes dramatically not completing the form this year does not impact future years.

^ correct on all of your assumptions. If your S plans to apply for any additional, outside scholarships, however, many will ask for figures from the FAFSA, so that might be a good enough reason to complete it anyway, even if you don’t need it for UA. It does not take a lot of time to complete.