Finalized Financial Aid Package

I have received my scholarship package but I am wondering if I will receive federal aid (i.e. work study)? I don’t know whether the package is finalized or when I can expect mine to be finished? Thanks

You qualified for the Presidential plus the eng’g scholarship.

[QUOTE=""]
Income Bracket: ~150k

[/QUOTE]

What is your EFC?

It appears that you dont have any need. WS is need based aid.

@mom2collegekids Do you know what the Out-Of-State Scholarship (Presidential) application entails? I tried to access the page, but was blocked. Are there essays or other extras involved? This question may be answered on a different thread so my apologies. Thanks again for all your great info!

The scholarship application is very brief and includes drop down boxes with a very limited character count for leadership positions, community service, honors and awards, etc. There are no essays and it takes only a few minutes to complete.

I don’t believe the scholarship application is even required for the guaranteed scholarships, but iit s highly recommended. I would verify this with scholarships though.

@Loosabelle Perfect, thank you.

I’m somewhat confused by this discussion.

STEM2017 you probably cannot see the scholarship page because the deadline for scholarships has passed. (Of course those applying for fall 2017 will be able to see the application once admissions re-open sometime in the summer 2016.)

Second, students most definitely DO need to submit a scholarship application for ‘automatic’ awards. (NM might be different, but not ‘Presidential’, etc.) See here: http://scholarships.ua.edu/freshmen/index.html. As Loosabelle points out, the application is simple and brief, but it does need to be submitted.

I’ve actually seen that link, Aeromom. I called about it because it seems to contradict the FAQ section at scholarships.ua.edu which is where you’ll see this:

Eligibility

To be named a Capstone Scholar, Collegiate Scholar, Foundation in Excellence Scholar, UA Scholar, or Presidential Scholar, do I need to submit my scholarship application by December 15?

No. Students only need to have the completed application for admission, application fee, official high school transcript (grades 9-11), and official ACT or SAT scores submitted by December 15. A submitted scholarship application before December 15 is still encouraged, as it allows a student to be considered for additional scholarships through academic departments and the National Alumni Association.

I called the scholarship office and was told it was strongly encouraged but not necessary which agrees with the above. That’s why I suggested she verify it herself.:slight_smile:

SMH, right below that FAQ is this FAQ:

Q: “By applying for admission to UA by the priority deadline does that make me eligible for the Capstone, Collegiate, Foundation in Excellence Scholar, UA Scholar or Presidential Scholarships if I have the test score and GPA requirements?”

A: “Meeting the priority deadline requires submitting a completed admissions application and scholarship application, application fee, official high school transcript, and official test scores (either ACT or SAT).”

These two FAQ answers seem to contradict, or at the very least, confuse. I take it that the ‘priority’ requires both applications (and other things, of course). I’m wondering if at some point UA may have thought that those who submit after Dec 15 may not receive these merit scholarships because they would run out of funds? Many schools have firm merit scholarship deadlines, even for ‘automatic’ awards. I’m surprised that UA does not.

“These two FAQ answers seem to contradict, or at the very least, confuse.”

I agree. The person I spoke with was Beth Adams in Scholsrships. That was a year ago.

@aeromom I was simply asking what the scholarship application entails. Asking if there are additional essays involved. I was not asking why I couldn’t access the application. I was just looking for some insight.

@STEM2017, you, yourself said the page was blocked. (post #2) I’m just offering a reason why you could not access it.

@STEM2017 do you have a child who will be applying this summer or fall?

While the scholarship says that the app must be filled out, in the past, it hasnt really been required. To get the Presidential, you don’t have to do any essays…just have the req’d stats and apply by the scholarship deadline.

@mom2collegekids My S will apply this fall. UA will be near the top of his list, thanks to the generous scholarships. He just needs to get his ACT up to a 32. I was sad to learn that the college of engineering scholarship is ending this year, otherwise an ACT of 30 would have guaranteed him full tuition…assuming he is accepted.

Thanks for the info about the application (and everything else). He’s already groaning about all the essays, glad UA doesn’t add another.

have your son also take the SAT. Getting a 1400 on the M+CR (or whatever will be how the new SAT is scored) may be easier if it’s just two sections that he has to practice for.

If his ACT is hurt by his Science Reasoning score, then taking the SAT can be a blessing.

The $2500 is ending for engineering?

No…the 2500 is not ending

The 1/3 supplement for an ACT 30 is ending for the next app year

Even with the 1/3 supplement going away. A student with 30 - 31 ACT here in IL would still be better off going to UA. Annual COA (Tuition/R&B) at UIUC IS $31K vs $20K at UA. No brainer!

Agree @CyclonesGrad. We are from Illinois and that’s exactly why we are looking OOS. . .that and the budget impasse in illinois

@perch1024 The best schools to look at are ISU, OSU, and UA. I would add UMN but they are in process of significantly raising OOS tuition. You would need Gold National from them to bring the tuition to IS level.