Private Dorms...Apartments...Lakeside???

<p>I don't think there's a more complicated housing situation (at least from my angle) then Wisconsin Freshman Housing. I don't plan on visiting again and didn't take much notice first time.</p>

<p>First (correct me if I'm wrong) On campus dorm housing is only Guaranteed in in-state freshman. But most frehman can get in </p>

<p>-There are a number of "private Dorm" options that read more like apartment living (heard from these profiteers before even receiving my official Wisconsin mailed acceptance) Someone on CC had said that a lot of OOS freshman chose this option (FACT/FICTION) are these building mostly freshman so it'll be social like a dorm...or are they packed with upper classman as well? This new building "Lucky 101" intrigues me</p>

<p>-Dorms are either Eastside (downtown) or Lakeside (pretty) and it's pretty much a lottery where you end up. Better ones they charge more for???</p>

<p>Question (especially current students) If money is not much of an object, and you like privacy but want a really social atmosphere and you don't want to leave it to chance...are these "private dorms or student apartments" viable for a freshman like me (closet space is an issue as well)</p>

<p>I am much obliged for any insight or color commentary</p>

<p>Private dorms are very viable for freshman and hundreds use them every year--some prefer them to the public dorms as they have more single rooms, better food, and great locations. They are very social. Many of the kids are a bit richer and more are from out of state.</p>

<p>Lucky is more of an aprtment project. the private dorms have food service and Lucky will not I believe and you'll have to either sign up for a university meal plan or cook yourself.</p>

<p>I've heard that private dorms are very anti-social and filled with snobby rich kids. Public dorms seem like the better option to me because they provide more of the complete experience ;)</p>

<p>"better food"???? locations? they are often further from campus places. Plenty of OOS students in Res Halls, go for them if you like.</p>

<p>That's what I hear. They are very close to east campus liberal arts and business buildings, union and main library as well as State Street and the lake. I know you don't like then but as an OOS kid many of us prefer them for many reasons.</p>

<p>Welcome</a> to University House Statesider - Madison Apartments! Student Apartment Communities, Affordable Student Housing, Campus Apartments</p>

<p>Sounds like a lot of upperclassman too, don't like kids with attitude let alone floors filled with kids with attitude (DO LIKE MORE CLOSET SPACE THOUGH) I'd love a single that's part of like a "mod" grouping, like lots of rooms that share a living/study space but since I'm a really LIGHT sleeper I don't have to worry about someone elses sleeping habits. That Lucky place looks sweet, but your right it is aprtmenty (that a word?) and thus probably DOES have lots of upperclassman. The actual "Private dorms" look kinda tired and dated. Do any of the campus dorms have layouts like I described?</p>

<p>I appreciate everyones input, but this housing thing does make me nervous</p>

<p>Smith Hall--one year old too.</p>

<p>University</a> Housing - Smith Hall</p>

<p>We received a packet from University House the other day. Their off-campus apartments look great. The Statesider is a freshman apartment complex very close to campus. However, they really are quite a bit more expensive than residence halls, so that's definitely something to keep in mind.</p>

<p>For example:
University House Statesider - Basic Double, $7416
University House meal plan - Silver (the mid-range plan), $1800
Total per year for University House room & board - $9216</p>

<p>Elizabeth Waters residence hall - Double room, $5812
Typical amount per year for residence hall food - $1108
Total per year for Residence Hall room & board - $6920</p>

<p>Quite a cost difference.</p>

<p>Location, location, location. With Res Halls your discount through your housing account for food can be used at any of the Res Halls food service locations on campus- will you have to return to your off campus private dorm to eat, will you be charged for missed meals? Do you want a room on noisy State St.? Do you want to mingle with the instate students? I have seen private dorms with availability the summer before classes start, prices may change (lower?) when checking online the past two years. Doublecheck the amenities, sometimes they list the ones available to all UW students, regardless of where they live. Of course, the public dorms will fill- I'm not sure why I am bothering to "sell" them, those of you who choose elsewhere will only insure a spot for others... Remember Res Halls has a no smoking policy, do the others? You are lucky, you have choices- I have read CC posts about old, crowded dorms in some of the elite private schools.</p>

<p>bump-to-top</p>

<p>Hey bud,
I'm a freshman right now. From what I can tell you, private dorms are almost exclusively out-of-staters, especially those from the West or East coast. The public dorms are almost all WI or MN kids. But I am from CT and I live in a public dorm and I love it. People say the private dorms/coasties are snobby, but being from CT that is just the way people are back home, so it's really not like people are snobbier than they are in CT, NY , CA or anything like that. Midwest kids are definitely more down to earth, though. Anyways, I like the public dorms.</p>

<p>Expect but only guaranteed for instate.</p>

<p>Guaranteed for instate- if do it by March 15th (I suspect the state law regarding this was passed at a time when a number of instate students couldn't get in the dorms - remember the primary mission of any state school is to educate the state's residents). Date of application and residency status will not influence the chances for your choices of dorms. One big consideration is location- some of the private dorms may look good on paper, but who wants to live with all the State St noise? Definitely list all the Lakeshore or all the Southeast dorms first if the area you live in is your top priority.</p>

<p>You think it is tough to choose a living space? Just wait until you decide amongst the thousands of courses when you register next summer...</p>