Private Residence Halls

Hey everyone!

I’m going to be an exchange student at UW-Madison starting fall 2019. We just got an email saying that there is no space for us in dorms, so we have to figure out our own off-campus housing (great!)
As I am not in the US currently, I think that living in private residence halls will be the least hassle to figure out, as opposed to trying to rent an apartment.
I’ve had a google around but can’t really find much info and the accomodation team are not being very helpful. Can anybody talk me through the private halls available around campus and maybe some pros/cons, or give me a recommendation?
I’ll be a junior, so I don’t know if I want to live with a bunch of freshmen, but I’m super outgoing and would love to live in a social environment as close to dorm experience as possible (just for that good old traditional american college experience).
Any advice would be appreciated!

Thank you!

Towers and Statesider are privately run dorms/apartments central to campus. Lucky is another private dorm/apartment about 2 blocks from campus, with a very good grocery store on the main level so very convenient. Look for furnished apartments – many of the higher end buildings are furnished with the basics – bed, desk, dresser etc. Another option might be Pres House – practically on campus, run by a non-profit, and emphasizes student community. Keep in mind, almost all apartments in Madison have a year long lease so if you are there for the ful academic year, that will work okay. If you are only coming for the fall semester, that will be a challenge. There is a Facebook group for housing exchange info, “New UW Madison Sublet and Roommate board” – you can ask to be added to the group and then read the postings of people looking for roommates or someone to sublet their apartment.

Enjoy your time at UW!

Thank you for replying! Yeah, I’ll be there for the full academic year. My biggest concern is missing out on the dorm experience and not being able to find friends, would you say not being in dorms will have an impact on that, and the classic college experience in general?

I am a parent and I live in Madison. I would recommend Lucky in a heartbeat. You will be in the middle of campus living in luxury housing. I’ve toured Lucky and it’s beautiful.

Lucky has the feel of an upscale dorm. You will meet plenty of friends living there.

Look at location- nearness to campus. btw- even on campus UW Res Halls dorms can be further than off campus places to live.

Your experience could never be that of an incoming college freshman so don’t even think about that aspect. Mainly freshmen choose to live in UW’s Res Halls, very few past their second year. Current campus culture has most then choosing apartments and the like. Being in a private dorm likely best suits your needs. Be aware that different costs come with different family finances- the more luxurious dorms, ie that cost more, will likely have richer residents than others. Do not worry about this. You will meet plenty of students in your classes with common interests, regardless of income.

Private dorms mentioned above seem to be good choices. Agree that an apartment could be isolating and you do not want to risk the unknowns of roommates in a nondorm situation.

Lucky has a kind of resident advisor system for 1st year students living there, to recreate more of the “dorm” experience. Statesider offers 2 person bedrooms which are more like traditional shared dorm rooms than apartments, though I’ve never been inside so not sure how it works. I understand from my UW grad that the private dorms, like the ones mentioned here, are very social so you will meet people easily.

@midwestmomofboys - did any of your children live at UW?

@Kimo1999 Yup, my UW alum lived in Sellery first year – loved it, then off campus after that, first in the apt buildings down Park, across from Smith and then off Landgon St. In Sellery, his hall became his family for pretty much the whole year, though they drifted apart after that first year as their interests evolved. But he loved having 25 kids to go to games with etc.