Probability theory before AP Stats

Hey y’all, considering taking probability theory this summer along with multi and diff eq. I’m doing multi and diff eq thru JHU CTY, and will take linear algebra through them in the fall. However, I’m taking AP stats @ my school during the regular school year. Can I take probability theory? If so, any suggestions on where? I’ve seen the Roger Williams continuing calculus program but any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated, especially those which are accredited without breaking the bank

the real question is, why in the world will you be taking AP Stats?

AP statistics would be too low level for you after you take calculus-based probability theory.

Sorry for late reply, but simply, I’ve ran out of math courses (or courses in general tbh) at my school lol. I took BC as a junior, and this is all that’s left in the math department. I’ve taken both AP comp sci already. Stats is supposed to be pretty light work-wise so it should make for an easier senior year. Conceptually and material wise this course is gonna be a joke. I’ve covered way too much statistics due to taking 14 unit online math courses for ALG 1, ALG 2, and Geometry that was just grasping at straws for things for me to do and such had at least four units each covering probability and statistics. The 14 units weren’t needed but to make it look rigorous they added a bunch of unnecessary statistics lol. My school’s actual curriculum might cover 5/14 units in most of these courses so it’s not even comparable.

Wouldn’t your school count your other classes toward the number of math units you’ve achieved twds graduation?

It makes NO SENSE to be taking AP Stats after you took the classes you listed, it’d be like taking Algebra2 after taking calculus.

Just curious, but why is AP Statistics considered “too low level”?

Probability theory is only one subset of a broad statistics curriculum.

Students aren’t exposed to statistics in other AP or math classes, but they are necessary for research fields. I say this as someone who judges science fairs every year for AP students, most of whom have not taken AP Statistics or another statistics course.

or, why take probability theory? What is your goal? What is the value of taking the math classes during summer prior to your senior year, when you could be out doing something else?

fwiw: if you think elite colleges will be impressed, and it will improve your admissions chances, you might think again.

1 Like

Probability theory usually refers to a calculus-based mid-to-upper level course for statistics majors. Someone who takes probability theory would typically follow it with other mid-to-upper level statistics courses for statistics majors, not a non-calculus-based introductory course for non-statistics majors (that AP statistics emulates).

A somewhat analogous example would be a student who has taken real analysis taking AP calculus afterward.

Isn’t real analysis an upper level undergraduate pure math course?

I’m talking about the branches of statistics that aren’t included in a pure math curriculum, up to and inclusive of AP Calculus. Beginning competency in those practical applications of statistics is included in AP Statistics but not progressive pure math classes or AP science courses.

Not trying to hijack the conversation- just confused by the feedback being given re: AP Stats.

I’m not aware of a high school that accepts JHU CTY classes for credit to replace graduation requirements. Are they seen as for-credit classes by admissions departments?

ETA: I just went to the website and saw that a few of the math classes are NCAA-approved, but not diff eq. I couldn’t find probability theory listed on the site so that might be something to check into before deciding against a math class at OP’s high school. Most schools I know will not recognize CTY classes as replacement credits for a fourth year of high school math. Maybe NCAA-approved classes would be accepted with special permission, but it’s not typical.

Yes. It would be somewhat analogous to probability theory for statistics.

1 Like

OP has already completed HS math AND the beginning of an applied math major.
AP Stats is a great class (I actually believe some level of statistics should be mandatory rather than precalc/calc in an either/or situation) but it is completely pointless for someone who’s already well past that math level.
In addition, most schools consider that reaching Calc BC when no upper class is offered completes the 4-year requirement - OP’s HS may not but in this case it makes no sense and may even have a bad impact on college admission.
@CollegeMusic-Math: aren’t your other math classes sufficient for you to fulfill your HS graduation requirements? Does a nearby CC offer calculus-based statistics at least if not a more advanced statistics class?

I don’t really understand what my HS is doing tbh but I initially signed up for the JHU math courses as they told me that only these courses would fulfill my senior year math requirement, as that is the program the few (2-3 a year) students who have taken calc BC as a junior have done. AP Stats was supposed to only count as an elective rather than fulfilling a graduation requirement. I’ve been informed now it does. Also whatever math IS I do could count towards my GPA @ my HS (obviously will be included when applying to college), providing me with a reason to do the IS. My interest with probability theory is a) I want to do an application of Calculus b) look good obviously. I’m aiming at two schools: one is HYPSM and the other one is a state school with a 70% acceptance rate. Tbh even if I get in the HYPSM school I might not go. At the state school, I’m looking at double majoring pure math and classical voice performance, to keep my options open. If I do all these courses, I will have enough credits that I might only have to take one math course per semester max at the state school. I’d be able to really enjoy my time in college. Regarding reason A, I tried to take AP Physics C but had to drop it bc of a course conflict. That’s why probability theory is enticing to me. Regarding reason B, stats certainly counts towards my GPA at my high school. In order for a course to count towards my GPA at my high school, it must be “taken” during the school day, listed as one of seven periods. AP Stats is an easy A+. However, probability theory is more challenging and I haven’t done that much in high school. I’ve done like a lot but not that much math-wise, and I want to show off my strengths in math. I still don’t know if the math courses during the day count bc the district hasn’t made up its mind on whether IS counts or not. I just gave up lol. I’m definitely taking AP Stats in the fall but would adding probability theory this summer look negative or positive?

When you apply to colleges, all high school and college courses you have taken or are taking while in high school and any grades in such need to be reported to the college you apply to, regardless of whether your high school puts outside or transfer courses in its transcript.

Neither. What’s your intended major(s)? Why probability theory? I assume the course is an introductory to the probability theory. Have you taken a course on combinatorics?

Yeah, but I like the idea of having a high GPA at my school even if it doesn’t mean anything :sob::sob::sob:

My intended majors are pure math and classical voice performance, mainly depending on what happens with the latter. Probability theory came up bc I was looking for applications of calculus as I really enjoyed it. I was scrolling through my state school’s math courses, found probability theory which looked interesting, and found a program that does it online (Distance Calculus @ Roger Williams). I haven’t checked out any combinatorics courses yet but I certainly will. Do you know of any?

The term “pure” math can mean different things to different people. Are you trying to differentiate it from applied math? But you also said that you were looking for applications of calculus. Applied math has greater use of calculus than “purer” math. Probability theory has some “pure” math component, but an introductory probability course is likely to be more “applied” than a formal and measure-theoretic approach to probabilities (i.e. measure theory). Probability theory also deal with both discrete and continuous events. Discrete probabilities don’t rely on calculus, but combinatorics would be a prerequisite. Since you haven’t taken a course in combinatorics, I’d strongly suggest you take that course instead. There’re many such courses (including from the JHU CTY program, I’m sure).

1 Like

For pure math and classical voice, THE college is St Olaf.
https://wp.stolaf.edu/music/
https://wp.stolaf.edu/math/
You can “demonstrate interest” (very important at private universities) here:
https://admissions.stolaf.edu/register/mailinglist

What do you want to do with Math (PHD, work in a business/an industry, teach…?)

What’s your current unweighted GPA?
What courses are you taking beside Math?

See your GC to know whether 1° CC or CTY courses would appear on your transcript 2° whether you have 4 years of Math for graduation purpose.

It sounds like Probability Theory isn’t the right class for you and AP Stats certainly isn’t. Does your HS accept current students taking classes at a local CC (called DE/Dual Enrollment, CiS, PSEO…) and does that CC offer a “Calculus based Statistics” class - typically under “statistics majors, requirements”?

1 Like

I agree. I think a combinatorics course would be better than probability at this stage.

Also, I see that you are taking multivariate calculus and differential equations this summer. I hope you are taking differential equations after you finish multivariate calculus as it’s a prerequisite.

1 Like