Public Dorms: Southeast vs Lakeshore

<p>I'm an admitted OOS from MD. Just read an old forum from 2009 talking about which dorm is the best dorm to live in. Can anyone provide any updated info. Public housing vs Private. Southeast vs Lakeshore. Pros and cons? Is the sconnie vs coastie thing real or just inflated on this forum.</p>

<p>Parent here. Lots of threads on personality of lakeshore vs. southeast. As parent of midwest, out of state kid who lived in southeast - coastie thing is not a real bias or a common experience. My son is friends with lots of WI, MN, and east coast/west coast kids. There may be kids who stick to their own, but he hasn’t met them, and he lived in a dorm with a 1000 kids. </p>

<p>When we first visited campus, I loved the peace and serenity of lakeshore and the possibility of running the trails. My son gagged at lakeshore and loved the bustle and more urban energy of southeast. To each his own. Don’t try to pick a dorm based on proximity to classes or buildings – both parts of campus have great dining halls and you will be walking/biking/taking bus (in bad weather) wherever you live to get to somewhere else…</p>

<p>Congrats on being a Badger. </p>

<p>Thanks Midwestmomofboys, which dorm did he live in and did he get his first choice?</p>

<p>BTW, the housing website states that you have an equal chance of getting your first choice as your last choice.</p>

<p>Another parent and alumnus (refuse to use gender for Latin) here. You can’t go by which is most popular. You need to choose based on your list of priorities. I lived on Lakeshore eons ago despite good college friends choosing Southeast. Son chose lakeshore, but was in a different part. Getting one’s first choice can be the luck of the draw. Do not pay attention to those chances when you rank your dorm choices. A dorm holding 1000 students can be more “popular”- as in favored by more- than one holding only 200 or so.</p>

<p>Sconnie vs coastie is not an issue for the vast majority of students. It may play a role for those who chose to live off campus with people from their part of the country. YOU choose whether to make it an issue. The campus is large enough that it doesn’t matter what a small group of students choose to do, or even if a majority does. You lead your life as you choose and will find those who have common interests. This is not HS with all of that social dynamic. 6000 new students have unique experiences every year.</p>

<p>Welcome to Wisconsin! As far as the university and Res Halls are concerned it does not matter where you come from, aside from in/OOS tuition.</p>