Purdue Class of 2027 Official Thread

What would you like to know about honors college? My D is graduation in May and has been in HC since the beginning. It’s been wonderful!

2 Likes

Ee were deferred during EA and accepted now

AI is brand new, so there’s no track record of transfers in or out.

Iirc, the plans of study vary by 5 or 6 courses, and the AI plan has 8 Elective slots. So even if transfer isn’t possible, I would think AI majors still have registration preference for CS* courses (as all AI courses are CS*).

If anyone has an easier time transferring, those in the department already would be it.

My daughter is a Freshman in the Honors College right now. The dorms are very nice and her favorite courses so far have been the two HONR mini-courses.

She was a bit concerned about her first 15 minute Honors advisor meeting, as she’s quite introverted. She ended up spending 45 minutes and was invited to join a research team that matched her interests.

3 Likes

For deferred students, if you didn’t get a decision by now, does it means a rejection?!! I only see acceptances so far… does that mean rejections are the next round?

probably. I think it’ll be a mix of waitlists, rejections, and acceptances, with a heavy majority of it being waitlists and rejections. Not sure though. Could be wrong.

This cycle has had way more RD acceptances than in years past so who knows. Hang in there!

Accepted after deferral on 3/17
Major: CS
GPA: 4.4
35 ACT, 10 Aps
OOS

Good luck to everyone else!

2 Likes

Congratulations!

Did you folks get the admission notification last Friday?

1 Like

Yup, but I got the email on Saturday

2 Likes

Do they offer minimum scholarships got honors students like most honors colleges. NJIT / Rutgers

There are no guaranteed scholarships for honors college. Purdue has focused on keeping the cost of attendance fixed for the last 11 years for everyone.

3 Likes

I didn’t get an email from them, but after being deferred from them EA, I got a decision in my portal last Friday apparently and got accepted.

@momofboiler1 my son was accepted last Friday to engineering at Purdue. We were pretty surprised and had kind of crossed it off the list. So now we are wondering what sets it apart from other engineering programs? I know your child loves it there.

I should probably look back at your posts and will do so as well but if you have any specifics to make it worth all the flights and rental cars and such? It is 10 hours from home.

He’s also considering Penn State, Rensselaer, Pitt, and Drexel. We have a daughter at Pitt for bioengineering and she has really loved her program there.

Thanks in advance!

Congrats to your son!

IMO, what makes Purdue engineering unique is the the first year engineering design class that all freshman take (such a great hands on class!), the career readiness focus of classes, and the strength of the career center. There are fabulous partnerships between the university and industry leaders. Labs and maker spaces are fantastic. Plus there is the whole Big 10 sports vibe which really brings a special kind of energy to campus (and my daughter wasn’t big into sports but she ended up going regularly to football, basketball, and volleyball games).

My D has a number of coop colleagues and friends from Pitt and she has visited a few times. She feels that Pitt and Purdue had a very similar vibe, despite the difference in location.

RPI felt like a smaller version of Purdue to my daughter.

PSU felt to big to her and Drexel too urban and she didn’t want coop mandatory (even though she did end up doing a co op at Purdue and loved it).

Your son has great options. No wrong choice! Congrats and feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.

1 Like

Anyone from Seattle area accepted to CS here ?

Thank you SO much for the summary!! I think you are right- no wrong choices!

How is this known?

Just reading about the RD acceptances here. When my D applied in ‘18 there were no RD acceptances to the popular majors and they were completely closed out after EA. There were also almost no deferrals in EA. People were either admitted or rejected.

I look forward to seeing the common data set for this cycle when it’s published next year.

3 Likes

My son was admitted EA to his 2nd choice major Applied Physics. And though, he’d be excited to attend Purdue and loves physics, he’s weighing whether he should accept an offer at another college where he’s already been admitted to Aero Engineering. The 1st year core curriculum is nearly the same for Applied Physics and FYE. Plus Purdue has so much more to offer in aviation if he wanted to dabble in Aviation Management.

Has anyone heard how likely it is that you can transfer into Engineering after the first year? Any stats?