***PURDUE University CLASS of 2022 Admission Thread

We had a great visit focused on engineering on Friday. We went to a FYE orientation presented by 3 students, followed by en engineering tour an then a specialized tour of biomedical labs. The school is larger than I expected with 16 different engineering buildings. Unfortunately, much of the campus looks the same so we got a bit lost at times.

We were very happy to see such a variety of places to eat off campus, including poki! My S18 was relieved to see more than pizza, etc. and that the town doesnā€™t seem as small as we thought it might. Everyone is very welcoming of Purdue students. Really good visit by S hasnā€™t made a final decision yet.

No final decision here yet, but DS is leaning toward Wisconsin over Purdue and Illinois for ME.

Heard some rape incident there? Is that true?

Every big university struggles with the ugly reality of sexual abuse @deb_prath. Iā€™m sure Purdue does all it can to prevent as much as possible.

ā€œHeard some rape incident there? Is that true?ā€

I havenā€™t heard anything in about three years. The last incident I have heard of took place at a fraternity house and involved a guest, not a student. There was another incident a year later where a girl claimed to be assaulted but later the next morning admitted she made it up. I havenā€™t heard anything recently. My D is a 5th year senior and has never had any issues.

I sent Purdue my housing contract last week and I was wondering if I should wait for a reply before I sign up for a learning community.

Anyone going to Purdue from the NY metro area? if so, what are you majoring in?

Hi Everyone:

Not really relevant to any specific topic, but I am a Junior at Purdue majoring in ME. So as college decision deadlines approach feel free to post away or dm me with any questions and Iā€™ll try to provide whatever help I can!

@philliesphan08: Okay, here you go ā€“

(1) What is the best advice that you can give an entering FYE who wants to major in mechanical engineering?

(2) What is the one thing that you have liked most about Purdue during your time there?

(3) What is the one thing that you have liked least about Purdue during your time there?

would you take the Calc 1, 2, etc even if you tested out? How about physics?

Well (albeit late) here I go:

Classes: If you are confident in your knowledge of the material go ahead and take the credit and move on. How you asses confidence is up to you. Also calc 2 is a bit of a mess here as is phys 172 so its nice to avoid those.

2-3) Itā€™s a large university. That is, you can definitely find yourself/friend group/what you want to do here. However, you have to go out and find that. If you only keep to yourself and never take a chance and put yourself out there, whether that is just going out for a club or getting lunch on a whim with someone you just met in class. Overall, the size of the place can be daunting and frustrating at times but is also what makes Purdue great.

1. ME: First and foremost, take the time to experience the FYE process. You might discover you want to major in something else and that is fine. However if ME is and remains the thing for you I would say this. Study hard, you have to do well to get in and stay in. Also the better your GPA is, the more your resume will be picked up and the more opportunities will open up for you, internships, grad school, etc.

Going off of that, while GPA is important it is not everything. What really matters is who you meet, how you treat others, and what you actually learn (not just a number that attempts to measure that).

what is your stats?