Quantity/Quality SAT IIs for UCs?

<p>Hey guys.</p>

<p>As the title states, I’m curious as to whether the quantity of SAT IIs taken (with decent score, say…700+?) or quality SAT scores (few 800’s) would make me more competitive for top UCs (UCLA/Berkeley, USC). Any input would be nice.</p>

<p>So far, I’ve received an 800 in Chemistry, and am absolutely sure I can get an 800 in Math IIc. Would this be enough to be competitive for the schools I listed? Or should I take two more and (I’m pretty sure) receive semi-decent scores (like…720+)?</p>

<p>Oh, while on the topic of SAT IIs, does the AP Physics C course cover enough material to recieve a 700+ on the SAT II Physics? If not, how much self-studying would be necessary to accomplish such a feat?</p>

<p>THANKS IN ADVANCE!</p>

<p>AP Physics C covers most but not all of the SATII physics. SATII physics is much more similar to physics B and has a larger smattering of topics but they are pretty easy (optics, relativity, modern physics, thermo). </p>

<p>Just buy a review book and study those extra topics. You should do fine.</p>

<p>I’m not sure about the other stuff.</p>

<p>2 high score SAT II test is fine. Work on the other parts of your app.</p>

<p>I agree with BusyMei. It’s going to take more than test scores to get into the top UC’s. Countless kids with top scores and grades were turned down this year. Work on other areas of your application.</p>

<p>The rule for UC’s is that you have to take two of them from different subject areas, meaning, that you can’t take two tests in one subject area. For example, you can’t take the US History and World History subject tests and expect that to fulfill your SAT II requirements. It has to be from two different subject areas, I took the US History and Spanish subject tests and that fulfilled my SAT IIs requirements because US History is considered a social studies subject and Spanish a foreign language subject. For engineering, I think you have to take the MAth 2 subject test but idk if your required to take the physics and chemistry subject tests (I doubt that you do). And taking only 2 subjects test is fine. I originally signed up for 3 but the day of the test I changed my mind as I didn’t feel prepared for the Biology exam and though I would do poorly so I decided not to risk a poor score showing up in my testing records (UCs require you to send all scores). I am sure taking 3 subject tests doesn’t hurt and if you think you can score high on a lot of them, give it your shot</p>

<p>As ProteinMan says, the tests must be in two different areas - Math 2 and Chemistry satisfy that requirement.</p>

<p>The UCs will look at your two highest scores (in two different areas) and ignore other test results. If, as you predict, you will have 800 on two tests there would be no reason to take more, and the additional test scores would not be considered by the UC. With the volume of applications received at the UCs (50,000+ at Berkeley and UCLA), they will not be looking at your other scores. [University</a> of California Admissions](<a href=“http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/admissions/undergrad_adm/paths_to_adm/freshman/examination_reqs.html]University”>http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/admissions/undergrad_adm/paths_to_adm/freshman/examination_reqs.html)</p>

<p>

I just noticed this in your question. Just to clarify, USC is not a “UC.” It is a private university with an entirely different application procedure.</p>