URGENT College Admission to UC Schools SAT I vs SAT subject tests

<p>I have a dilemma and I cannot make up my mind. Apparently, UC schools are not requiring SAT II’s but top tier ones such as Berkely, LA, etc. recommend them. I think i have above average GPA (4.3 sophmore ave and 4.8 junior ave), taking AP courses such as, Bio, and AP world history in soph scoring 5’s on the AP exams, and hoping to do the same for my ap classes (chem, apush, apel, ap psych) in junior year which i feel pretty confident about.</p>

<p>My SAT I score on the other hand is mediocre as a result of lack of studying. I got mid 1600’s which i feel i can raise to at least a 2000 with some decent studying, but i feel i should take the SAT II’s coming up in June for i may score well. I want to be able to take both SAT I’s in june and october to ensure a good score but at the cost of having no SAT II’s. Or i can also take the SAT II’s in june and take the SAT I in October with only one last shot to improve my score.</p>

<p>I was thinking, which route should i take saying i take the Math 2 and Chem subject tests. Do the subject tests/score of those tests, have that much significance in college admission? to the point to it risks an SAT I score? I am also of low income if that makes any difference with varsity sports and significant amount ofcommunity service. </p>

<p>i have until june 8th, thats when i sign up for the sat’s I or II. please help! thank you</p>

<p>Or, since you have already taken the SAT on e, why not take the subject tests this spring, take the SAT again this fall, and also try the ACT? Many people score better on the ACT than the SAT. I know someone who scored 1880 on their SAT but 31 on their ACT, which apparently translates to about a 2040. </p>

<p>For UCs, I don’t think a mediocre subject test score will jeapordize your chances at all. you’re probably good if you score above 600. I know people who were accepted into some of the better UCs with scores in the 600’s range.</p>

<p>actually, this is simple. You should take the ST’s when you take the AP’s. Thus, you should have taken the Bio ST and the WH ST this year. Don’t make the same mistake next year. Take the Chem ST and USH ST in May.</p>

<p>btw: for an unhooked candidate, your SAT is big flag to Cal and UCLA. While test scores aren’t as important to UC’s as to private schools, a 1600 is too low.</p>

<p>You’re much better off with high GPA and meh SATs than other way around. I had 3.9 UC, 8 AP/honors with 4’s 5’s, 2260 SAT1 and near perfect Math II and perfect Lit SATII and the scores couldn’t even get me in to Davis. I wondered if they even looked at SAT this year. BB is right, much better to take the SAT2 while you’re studying for AP’s in the same subject. Get your SAT up to 1900’s and I bet you get in anywhere. And have someone beside a family member read your essay to make sure its poetic enough.</p>

<p>BB are the SAT II’s that important for schools that don’t require them? Like you said a 1600 is too low so should i disregard the SAT II’s to make sure my SAT I is good? I don’t feel comfortable taking this coming SAT II in May for chem and math 2, partly because i have not studied for math 2 yet, but hope to take both in June, but that would in turn take the place of my SAT I, which i wont be able to take again until October. </p>

<p>i admit i did make a mistake, i did not know much about how the testing system worked and as of recently found out the II’s and I’s take the place of each other… =/</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Last time I checked the AP tests are in May…If you study for the AP you study for both. Consider the ST is just a 45 minute warm-up for the big one. If you scored a 5 in Bio, you can do well in Chem. </p>

<p>But yes, I agree that the SAT needs to be raised, and that should be your priority.</p>