Question about Cost of Attendance (California Resident) [incoming freshman]

https://www.admissions.purdue.edu/costsandfinaid/tuitionfees.php

Hey guys. I am a California resident who will be attending Purdue this fall.

The website linked above says the approximate cost of attendance for non-residents is $41, 934

However, it says that room/board costs $10, 030

https://www.housing.purdue.edu/housing/docs/508_RoomTypes2018-19-2018-201920180103.pdf

In the pdf above, a standard double dorm (without AC) is close to $3.5k/year

The standard double dorm without AC was my first choice dorm.

So assuming I do get my first choice dorm, would housing only be $3.5k for me, making the total cost of attendance close to $36-37k?

I’m super grateful that my parents are willing to pay all the fees, but honestly, only having to pay $36-37k as opposed to the $42-43k per year would be sweet.

That’d be paying close to the amount we’d be paying for a UC.

Housing assignments come out next month but I believe you are right that if you get your first choice dorm, your costs will be less. Log into your mypurdue portal and go to the bills and payment tab. There is a financial estimator there where you can put in your hoped for dorm to see your cost.

But you need to add in board (food).

I’m not sure you can totally count on getting your first choice dorm. Maybe, if you turn in your housing info as soon as you can. My daughter is in the Honors dorm, and I was assuming that she would be getting the $4800 room, but she got assigned to the upgraded $6400 room. I am not super happy, since I’m not sure that a little extra space is worth the extra $1600.
When you apply for housing and sign the housing contract you don’t know exactly what you are going to get. So, caveat emptor, and know that you can live off-campus freshman year if you want.

@Josie5 I did get my #1 dorm fortunately.

It will cost $19k per semester in total all together for me

Not bad for an OOS school (only 5k more per year than a UC or CSU - I’m from California)

And so sorry it didn’t work out for your daughter. Hopefully she can get scholarships or at least a more affordable dorm next year.