question about package delivery

<p>How do students in the dorms receive a package shipped to them via UPS? It appears from the Tech Website that the residential mailroom only supports delivery of packages from the US post office but not FED EX or UPS. Just curious if the student is contacted by UPS or if it is left at their door if they are not there?</p>

<p>On the little tour my RA gave, he said they deliver directly to your room, and if your not there a neighbor could sign for it.</p>

<p>I get packages shipped to me all the time and both UPS and FedEx deliver directly to your dorm room.</p>

<p>Yeah, they always brought stuff to my room.</p>

<p>Here are the facts:</p>

<p>1) Mailrooms such as ones in Pritchard and Newman only support USPS. If you ship a package via USPS, they will leave a slip in students mailbox and they just simply hand in the slip during hours, and show their hokie passport. </p>

<p>2) For FEDEX and UPS, if signature is required, then signature is required and I know that it is UPS’s policy to attempt 3 deliveries before returning to sender or just keeping it at their facility. I’m sure FEDEX has a similar policy. Now, FEDEX’s facility is closer by, I believe in Christiansburg. UPS’s is a humongous hassle as it is in Roanoke. Though, if they can get another dorm person to sign for it, then they will do that, but they won’t just leave it on the ground.</p>

<p>3) If signature is not required, and you are unable to receive your package, they will most likely leave it with your neighbor, either next door or across the hall.</p>

<p>It’s pretty simple, never had any problems. If you live off campus and signature is not required, they will more likely leave on the front door, vulnerable to theft.</p>