Question/Advice Help

<p>Hey guys, I just got my schedule and I have some questions I would like to have some advice on. Before I start I am thinking about majoring in Chemical or Mechanical engineering but leaning towards Chemical. I got my schedule and I will not be be taking Chemistry 103 in the fall this year. Reason being because my algebra section for math on my placement test fell 10 points shy for the Chemistry requirement which is I guess is really close. After explaining my situation towards the chemical consultant he still would not let me join Chem 103 because of average math and science background with okay math act score(26). Both of those can be explained because I am incorrectly placed in my math and science classes because I averaged like a A+ in each one junior to senior year( I took Pre-Calc senior year and Chemistry junior year.) As for the okay ACT math score of 26 I am not a good timed test taker because I go through math problems slow and meticulous and simply rsn out of time. Unfortunately I did not explain any of that to the Chem counsaltant because I thought he would not change his opinion. So at this point I can't take Chemistry my first semester for a major that is very geared towards chemistry.</p>

<p>I then talk to my engineering advisor and she recommended in my case to take Chem 103 in the spring then Chem 104 in the summer. I agreed to this. All I am worried about is not to fall behind and hopefully to be caught up with everything. On top of this I am an engineering student and I am in Pre-Calc not the recommended Calc 1 in this fall. Once again my placement score fell short. I scored a 540 in trig which wasn't good enough ( and anyone know the score you would need on trig to get into Calc?) So with all this if I am not happy with not being placed in these classes, I could retake the math section of the placement section again in Madison. For the first time I took it I was a month and a half out of school and did not study whatsoever. So what is your advice and opinion on this? Should I study hard and retake the test so I hopefully can be places in these classes? Or should I wait it out and follow the schedule I have now recommended by my engineering advisor? Or something else? Thanks for reading.</p>

<p>Advisors and placement tests are only there to guide you. It’s your education, you are paying for it. Here’s how I would play it. Take both Chem 103 and Calc 221. If you cannot handle one or both then drop them and prepare to be ready for them next semester(either by adding pre-calc or preparing on your own). Be warned this is risky, if you go past the drop deadline you could mess up your gpa assuming you are doing poorly.
The majors you are considering are very strenous and its natural to feel worried about falling behind. College classes move at a much faster pace especially math ones. Instead of one chapter one test, it is six chapters one test for 30 percent of your grade. Some professors also design their tests so where most of the class will not finish. I’m not trying to scare you here but just telling you what you are in for if you go with what I suggested.</p>

<p>I do not think that a placement score can hold you out of any class. They are just to give you an idea of where you are. I think this is correct unless there are prereq scores for some classes; somebody else can clarify because I’m not sure.</p>

<p>I disagree with the above advice. You state you are slow with math problems and that hurt you on the tests. If you continue at your pace during these courses you will not do well, you may as well not waste your time attempting them and not learning the material. You are better off following your advisors’ (both) advice and really learning the material and adjusting to the college pace before taking the courses that will be fast paced for you. You did not miss the mark by a point- it was 10 points, plus other test scores. Your HS may not have been as rigorous as some and gave you the opportunity to learn what they presented- this may not have been as much as at some other HS. Taking and dropping 9/10 credits will put you behind- you may as well use the semester to make forward progress and prepare best for those courses.</p>

<p>Yes, advice is just that, but it is foolish to ignore two professionals and follow a student who only has what you told us here for information. You could restudy the material - practice on speed as well- and retake the tests if possible. If you qualify it would justify changing your schedule and I’m sure your advisors would be happy to change their recommendations. Restudy the material this summer as it will help you regardless.</p>

<p>I think you had a “rude awakening”/shock with your tests. That is why they administer them- to see where you are really at close to the time you take your college classes. You now have time to adjust to the realization of how things are- psych yourself up to meeting a new, higher standard for yourself.</p>

<p>Take the courses you signed up for. By mid semester you will have made the adjustment to the faster pace of UW and will also discover more about yourself. You will be better able to plan your future, including if the program you think you want now is what you should pursue. Most freshmen do change/decide their major while in college- what you thought of in HS gets reevaluated. You will want good grades in subjects for your major- you need them to be admitted to the major. Plus, math and chemistry do build on what is learned in previous courses so you want to start with a firm, not weak, foundation.</p>

<p>What is the difference between Math 221 and 211? My S got 3 on his Calc AP. His intended major is either Bio or Business. Do you think Math 211 will be sufficient for his requirement?</p>

<p>Probably not. Read the reqs for each major. More flexibility with the 221 et al series.</p>

<p>For Business, he needs either 2 semesters of calculus, (211 and 213, or 221 and 222, or 221 and 213) OR 1 semester of calculus (211 or 221) and the second semester of business statistics (Gen Bus 304), unless he is a Finance Major in the business school, then he needs 2 semester of calculus (211 and 213, or 221 and 222, or 221 and 213) AND the 2nd semester of business statistics.</p>

<p>Math 211 is generally thought of as calculus for business majors and is not as difficult as Math 221 (engineering majors, science majors).</p>

<p>Thanks for the advice!</p>

<p>Some business majors may require the 221 series (actuarial science perhaps)- any potential business majors should think about that. Many going into business will have 221, it is not only for math/science majors (economics majors may want the 221 series as well). The message is that business majors shouldn’t think they need to take 211 instead of 221, especially those who are good at math.</p>