Question for those accepted to Engineering at TAMU for Fall 2017

What were your overall stats? Particularly your SAT/ACT, class rank, and if you took AP/IB Physics and Calculus along with scores. Thank you.

You can check peoples stats and admission status in the following thread.

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/texas-m-university/1921073-tamu-class-of-2021-engineering-admission-decisions-p1.html

My son was admitted to COE General Engineering(MECH)
31 ACT
Top 18%
AP Physics
AP Physics C
Pre-Calculus
AP Calculus BC

Class Rank: 1/27
ACT: 32 (31E 35M 30R 30S)
35 Dual credit hours
350~ community service hours
Varsity Golf
Peer-to-Peer
Minor touch on computer science and STEM related programs and courses
Taken dual credit math up to Calc 1
High school physics

MechE acceptance

@TxSker Yeah I look at that thread frequently as well. The reason I’m asking is because I’m a junior right now and while I’m not worried about my SAT or rank, I’m not scheduled to take any physics in high school and people (specifically @Thelma2) have said that admissions to TAMU COE are largely based on “readiness” for engineering. I’m taking Calculus BC this year and IB Math HL next year so as far as math goes I’m fine but not taking physics worries me. I’m interested in knowing if anyone got into the COE without physics.

My daughter’s boyfriend’s brother got in without taking AP physics. (He took regular, on-level physics his jr year) He’s taking AP Calc AB now. He did take AP Chemistry & AP Biology. He’s a biomedical engineering admit.

Kohlithebeast - As you are still a junior, I would highly recommend taking Physics and as much as possible. Historically, engineering weed-out classes the first year include two Physics classes. My two engineering students (one a recently graduated Mechanical Engineer and the other an upper-level Civil engineering student) took Physics 218 on campus but took AP credit for Physics 208. I would even recommend auditing a Physics class at a community college, if there was no other way to get Physics into my senior schedule. Just a thought.

Remember this. Even if you are accepted into the COE without taking physics in HS you will be competing with other students that mostly have taken physics and most have take higher level physics in HS. You will be competing with these students for admissions into your engineering major and not having taken physics in HS will put you at a disadvantage.

Especially your SR year I would take the highest level math and physics you can. By that time your GPA and Class Rank is set at the end of your JR year and taking those classes your SR year will not impact your stats for college admissions. Don’t worry about getting A’s in those classes as a SR just worry about absorbing and understanding the material because most likely you will want to take those classes again in college instead of taking the AP credit for them. Every student is different so your milage may vary but this is the route my son took.

I would definitely take a physics class at a JuCo in summer. if you do get accepted to engineering, while Phys 218 is heavily calculus based, it is not a beginners physics class, it is an engineering physics class and considered a weed out class. The class will be geared towards you having knowledge of physics, not introduce you to physics. There are two types of engineering physics classes. University physics and don’t panic physics. University Physics involves numbers and given formulas while Don’t Panic is pure calculus and variables. In Don’t Panic, you’re shown how to derive everything. It is said, so take it with a grain of salt, that University physics is the better class to take for a better foundation you will need for 208 and as you go in engineering classes for your major.

Once you register at NSC, I would head over to A+ tutoring while you are still in CStat and buy your season pass for Phys 218 ($170). Passes sell out after the first exams in September. You can buy a single ticket to each offered session, but they are only open to seat availability. Most tutoring sessions begin at 8pm or later. Math 151 all semester was from 10-midnight. Tutoring sessions are for certain days/times over two week period leading up to exams. They are not every day of the week.

This is what this weeks schedule looks like. toggle over to the next week to view that week. http://www.aplustutoring.ws/schedule/index.php

Thanks all. According to my counselor I could take physics at my local CC over the summer for college credit so I will probably do so. Would my GPA and credit in the class transfer to university once I graduate?

@Thelma2 Is the tutoring you’re talking about at TAMU? I still have a while before that lol

I agree that you should get exposure to basic college physics if at all possible. My son took his AP Calculus and AP Chemistry credits. He did not take AP Physics in high school but did have honors physics. He had to work extremely hard in Physics 218 and 208, but ended up doing very well. FWIW, he took the Don’t Panic track from Professor Erukhimova, and really liked it. He preferred learning concepts and deriving formulas. He’s in his junior year in Aerospace Engineering now and already thinking about graduate school! (Time just blows by!) Dr. Erukhimova remains one of his favorite teachers so far at A&M.

@Beaudreau I’ll definitely take physics at CC over the summer. I didn’t even consider that an option before. Are the University physics and “Don’t Panic” physics different physics classes at TAMU and you have the option to take either?

@Thelma2, I googled the “Don’t Panic Physics” and found that but nothing came up when I googled “University Physics”

I am confused. Are these two different way of learning both 208 and 218.?

Also, could one take AP credit for 208 or 218 and take the other class at JoCo to avoid the weedout classes at A&M?

@KohliTheBeast - They have the same course numbers, just different approaches. My son just ended up in Don’t Panic, but felt that he lucked out. At your NSC, your counselor should be able to help. Others here may have more information about opting for one or the other.

Dr. Bassichis at Texas A&M actually created the Don’t Panic approach. https:/ amazon.com/Dont-Panic-Introductory-Engineering-Mechanics/dp/0962467146/ref=sr11?ie=UTF8&qid=1480570531&sr=8-1&keywords=Don%27t+panic+physics If you read the Amazon reviews you will see that people either love it or hate it.
University Physics is the more traditional approach.

@Beaudreau, I’ve heard so many wonderful things about Professor Erukhimova! She must be to Physics what Professor Amy Austin is to Math. @KohliTheBeast, concerning classes taken at CC, the credit transfers, but the grade is not factored into your GPA. Just keep in mind that the COE requires that you take two of your three freshman sciences (PHYS 218, PHYS 208, CHEM 107) at A&M.

@Beaudreau please know that I meant no disrespect to Don’t Panic Physics. I have heard great things about Professor Erukhimova and my son may end up in it,(e’s leaning towards AERO too) depending on is ability to get the classes he needs. Registration has been difficult in getting Math 152, since it opened up for him at 5:15 yesterday. No open sections or seats popping up. Physics was closed too but seats did pop open sporadically and he was able to grab a seat with Akimov. He’s up and at em this morning, trying to find a 152 class, since open registration opened at 6am.

@KohliTheBeast to have the credit transfer, you would have to take the Texas Common Course Numbering System equivelent of Phys 218. It is still engineering physics, although at JuCo, and still with no physics background in HS, you would struggle. You would be expected to know already more than you would.
because you have had no physics at all, you want to take a basic intro physics class. Can you take HS regulars physics this coming summer between your Sr year? Then after Sr. year, take a summer school higher physics course at JuCo that would equal an honors/AP physics class. This way, you have a good foundation in physics before entering into Phys 218.

What you are wanting is to get a good foundation for physics before going into 218. That way, you are set up well for success. That you are taking calculus BC is great. 218 is heavily calculus based. My son didn’t place high enough on the Math Placement Exam (25 of 33). He took it completely cold and on the day of the deadline. He thought he had done better than he did and made avoidable errors. *** Don’t do this***. Do the practice tests. So, his freshman recommended schedule had him take Chem 107/117 first semester. A&M recommends you do this if your MPE isn’t over 27, until you have a strong foundation in Calculus after completing Math 151. He’s making an A (is on track to before his Final on the 12th) so he will take Phys 218 second semester and has yet to determine how he will do 208.

Good luck to you!

@lee6666, can you please provide a source for this statement: “Just keep in mind that the COE requires that you take two of your three freshman sciences (PHYS 218, PHYS 208, CHEM 107) at A&M.”

@bctnin1059, It’s printed on this page for Class of 2019: https://engineering.tamu.edu/28784.aspx (my son’s class). “General engineering students are required to complete at least the following courses at Texas A&M University with a minimum grade of C or higher: …” Has this stipulation been relaxed for Class of 2020? My apologies if there has been a program change (of which there have been MANY).

@Thelma2. No offense taken at all. My point is that some like one style and others another. If I’m not mistaken, the majority of the freshman physics classes are in the University Physics style. I believe that the name refers to the textbook: https://www.amazon.com/University-Physics-Technology-Update-13th/dp/0321898028 I believe this book is to Physics as Thomas is to Calculus. My second son is studying engineering at Miami (Ohio) and they use the University Physics textbook.

@Thelma2 I’m not worried about the transfer credits as long I’ll have a good enough background for physics in college. If I was to take it the summer after junior year then it would definitely be the most basic physics class not the equivalent of engineering physics. I could take regs physics over e school or summer school through my district, that’s an option, but if I could take it at CC and be fine I’d prefer that. The way you’re recommending: taking regs physics this summer and at CC the summer before college, is that for the transfer credit?

I was suggesting you take something this summer, to get an understanding of physics and then take a summer school class at JuCo summer after senior year to equal having had AP/honors physics, but not the engineering physics. You will have to be the best judge of how challenging the HS summer school physics would be. When my son took it summer school, it was not as challenging as an AP or honors class would be and had he not had to go back to AP from IB, he would have taken a stepped up physics class at JuCo, as he didn’t think that summer school physics class would have prepared him at all for engineering physics.

@lee6666 those rules are not relaxed for class of 2020 https://engineering.tamu.edu/academics/advisors-procedures/entry-to-a-major/general-engineering-program/class-of-2020

Required Coursework
General engineering students are required to complete at least the following courses at Texas A&M University with a minimum grade of C or higher:

Engineering: Two engineering courses from the following list – ENGR 111, ENGR 112
For students who start in ENGR 289, the requirement is one engineering course.

Science: Two science courses from the following list – PHYS 218, PHYS 208, PHYS 222, CHEM 107/117, CHEM 101/111, CHEM 102/112.

Math: Two math courses from the following list – MATH 151, 152, 251, 253, 304, 308; CSCE 222 (Discrete Math)
For students who start in ENGR 289 or MATH 150, the requirement is one math course from the list.