Question--Minnesota reciprocity Deal

<p>If, and it's a huge if, the Madison campus gets independence should it move to get out of the deal with Minnesota to trade instate students. If all those seats where opened to full pay OOS students it could raise around an extra $50,000,000 plus in tuition revenue. Those from Minny who still want to go to Madison can go into the pool with all the other states. What does the UW or the state really gain from this deal? Some of the other uW schools are having a hard time staying full while Wisconsin sends kids to Minny schools other than Uminn that are not that different from the UW schools. Plus the state now has to send Minny a check for around $5 Million for the imbalance as more Wisco kids go to Minny schools than Minny kids come to Wisconsin schools. Just wondering. I understand it gives kids more choice but at what cost?.</p>

<p>Without reciprocity most of the students from Wisconsin who go to U of Minn-Twin Cities will opt instead for UW-Madison. There won’t be the huge increase in OOS tuition payments. Today’s HS students in both states treat both schools as comparable choices financially as well as academically, take away reciprocity and the instate numbers will increase to replace MN residents lost, negating potential OOS tuition revenues. Residents of both states are value conscience and money plays an important role, even for the well to do.</p>

<p>Do you have links backing up some of your statements? Which UW schools are having trouble staying full? The sources I find on the internet show more MN residents at WI schools.</p>

<p><a href=“404”>http://www.ohe.state.mn.us/mPg.cfm?pageID=816&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p><a href=“404”>http://www.ohe.state.mn.us/mPg.cfm?pageID=1405&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>They are a little dated so do you have something more current?</p>

<p>It was based on this chart. Wisconsin now sends over $10 Million to Minnesota to cover the gap. It may be more a tuition gap than headcount but it’s growing rapidly.</p>

<p>[Interstate</a> Reciprocity Payments, Academic Years 1975-76 to 2008-09](<a href=“404”>http://www.ohe.state.mn.us/mPg.cfm?pageID=817)</p>

<p>Several campuses were having trouble meeting OOS enrollment goals which is why the have tried lowering out of state tuition. This was just expanded by the UW BOR.</p>

<p><a href=“Colleges Reduce Out-of-State Tuition to Lure Students - The New York Times”>Colleges Reduce Out-of-State Tuition to Lure Students - The New York Times;

<p>[On</a> Campus: Tuition discount for some legacy students approved by UW Regents](<a href=“http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/education/on_campus/article_bfcae918-385e-11e0-b53d-001cc4c002e0.html]On”>http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/education/on_campus/article_bfcae918-385e-11e0-b53d-001cc4c002e0.html)</p>

<p>Right now around 700 Minn kids per year start as freshmen at Madison. If they ended reciprocity that would open up those seats. Would they all go to instate kids? That’s one question. If they all went to full pay OOS you get over $70,000,000 in tuition compared with $25,000,000 for all instate or $45,000,000 extra. Or you could split them with instate getting an extra 350 seats/year and the other 350 going to OOS bringing in about $22,500,000 extra/yr. Either way that’s not chickenfeed. </p>

<p>It’s just a brainstorming topic right now. But it seems many things migth be on the table that never seemed possible before.</p>

<p>Schools not meeting OOS wants and saying they are struggling to stay full are quite different things. Yeah, the payments are tuition based. I’m not sure how it’s calculated. WI kids at MN schools get grants reimbursed by WI to cover the higher MN tuition. It doesn’t make sense to me that because MN tuition is higher, Wisconsin should make up the difference. I think a factor would have to be the % of their school’s budgets covered by taxpayers in both states. </p>

<p>I think both with higher OOS tuition and elimination of reciprocity, the average stats of incoming Madison freshman go down a little due to more higher stats kids not being able to afford it.</p>

<p>I also think WI taxpayers aren’t going to be happy if OOS goes above 25%. You could see state support drop even more. MN kids aren’t ‘really’ out of state to us hicks, like say NJ kids. </p>

<p>If Madison drops out, then I think UMinn-TC would be excluded too, not something people living in the TC burbs in WI and NW WI in general would be happy about.</p>

<p>I still think Biddy is being played and even if not totally, I think there will be tight reigns on what she can do with tuition and OOS percentages.</p>

<p><strong><em>Without reciprocity most of the students from Wisconsin who go to U of Minn-Twin Cities will opt instead for UW-Madison. There won’t be the huge increase in OOS tuition payments. Today’s HS students in both states treat both schools as comparable choices financially as well as academically, take away reciprocity and the instate numbers will increase to replace MN residents lost, negating potential OOS tuition revenues.</em></strong></p>

<p>I’m not convinced this would be the case. Minnesota OOS tuition is not that high in the scheme of things - it’s only $4,000 higher than its in-state tuition. If we were talking about Wisconsin students choosing between UMich or UIUC and Madison, where the tuition disparity would be huge, then I think most would choose Madison. I don’t want to make light of the tuitiion differential between Madison and Minnesota, because for some students it IS significant, but it might not be determinative for many students. Also, I think Minnesota is easier to get into, and there are students who won’t be able to opt for Madison because they won’t be admitted. I’m sure in-state numbers would increase, but do you really think they’d increase to replace all (or even most) of the MN residents lost?</p>

<p>I am also wondering how long Minn can keep their OOS tuition low. It was lowered recently to help attract more OOS students as part of Uminn’s commitment to improving their national rankings (and passing UW which is their mantra/mania) But their state funding has been hit just like UW’s and they don’t have a huge endowment or other money to tap into so eventually they are going to have to go back to charging about what UW and the other B10 schools charge for OOS. Or cut classes and increase class size beyond the level it is now. It seems unsustainable and no state school can afford to leave millions on the table–many many millions.</p>