Questions on freshman course scheduling

<p>When will the professors be listed for courses for Fall 2013? Still may “TBAs” listed, especially in CH 101 (required for our D). I know that current students start registering for Fall 2013 next week. Although D won’t be picking classes until Bama Bound Session 3, it would be nice to know the professors to start penciling out her fall schedule.</p>

<p>CH 101 vs. CH 117 – thoughts?? Chem 1 and 2 are required for her major. She’s not Chem kid, so we were thinking CH 101 instead of Honor CH 117. We had also heard that CH 117 is a bit harder, and that the professor is important for either one.</p>

<p>MATH 125 vs MATH 145 – thoughts?? Although she will likely have AP Calc AB credit, she plans on taking Calc 1 to start anew (her major requires Calc 1, 2, and 3). We heard that either regular Calc or Honors Calc is fine, and that the key again is the professor.</p>

<p>With her other requirements, plus Chem and Calc, and hopefully one credit hour for AA or OA, she’ll be at 14 hours. Thoughts on adding a one credit Honors Exploration course (or maybe two of them)? Even though she’s on the NMF/Presidential scholarship (and could take up to 20 hours/semester), we’re thinking 14-16 credits should be the limit for a first semester freshman, with the whole HS to college experience/transition. She’ll also have some AP credits that she can use as well.</p>

<p>Thanks all!</p>

<p>I agree - I’d choose the professor over whether or not the course was Honors.</p>

<p>I’d also have your D add a GRADED UH seminar (not pass/fail). My son took Honors Years One. We did not realize it until the semester was over but HYO doesn’t count towards the six hours of seminar courses because it’s pass/fail. It’s hard to get those courses in as time goes by - if you can get one in now, that’s great. </p>

<p>You will not be able to register for more than one UH if they have the same course number.</p>

<p>Thanks! Good to know on the HYO courses being P/F. UH 120 selections are the Honors Explorations courses. There are several of them that she could choose, but we’ll tell her that she can only take one per semester.</p>

<p>We are also waiting on CH profs to be posted for CH231.
Son had McDuffy for CH101 and Street for 102. He says both are good.</p>

<p>Chem 1 and 2 are required for her major</p>

<p>What is her major? Does she have to take Gen Chem I and II?</p>

<p>I’m a ChemE major and I was wondering the same thing. Based on classes from the 12-13 school year, I had liked Street’s ratings for CH117, but the website lists two options at the same time with no professors for either. The same goes for some of my core ENGR classes…</p>

<p>M2CK - Physics/Astrophysics track. Yes, she is required to take CH 101 and CH 102.</p>

<p>Why would you want to be in a class with 200-400 students when you can be in a class with as few as 25-50? If you have earned the right to register for Honors classes, do not shy away from them. The experience you get will be superior, and the opportunities to interact more closely with other students and the professor are enhanced. IMO.</p>

<p>One can register for multiple honors courses with the same number, but will need a departmental override from the honors registrar. There is a limit to how many courses with the same number one can apply to a degree.</p>

<p>MATH 125 classes are generally on the small side. Other courses may have large differences in the number of seats in honors and non-honors courses.</p>

<p>I’m generally of the opinion that one should choose courses based on the instructor rather than if it’s an honors or non-honors course.</p>

<p>drw4taww: My son, who has a math minor, would say that if your student earns a 4 or 5 on the AB exam, go straight to Math 126/146 or Calculus II. Calculus I does not build on Calculus II. My son had a 5 on the BC exam, but because he took it as a HS sophomore, he worried that he was too far removed from the class. So he chose to audit 125/145. Big mistake. He knew the material. He’s already told his kid brother, who is taking BC as a junior not to repeat the classes if he earns a 4 or 5 on the exam.</p>