Quick Questions Thread

<p>Awesome thread! A quick question: I’m an incoming freshman who intends to major in math. I was told that there is a large difference between the honors and non-honors beginning math classes. I have a long history of being bored with math and really want a challenge. I’m a bit of a nerd. :slight_smile: Despite my nerdy qualities, I was rejected from the honors program. I was wondering if honors classes are limited to those in the program or if they are a separate thing. </p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>Honors classes are limited to those in Honors, unfortunately. And you’ll probably be quite bored with the required freshman math courses as well (Linear Algebra and Geometry) - they must be taken even if you scored a 5 on AP Calculus. Get through that though and you’ll find more interesting math courses to choose from later.</p>

<p>The good thing about Linear Algebra is that since it’s all online you can knock it out in a couple weeks if you want, and not having to worry about it again.</p>

<p>are freshman required to live on campus?</p>

<p>Technically I think they’re supposed to, but they always offer to pay off people to move off campus (in dining dollars) due to overcrowding.</p>

<p>thank you so much for the reply. so if i told them i was gonna rent an apartment off campus you think they would def allow it? and might even give some perks? wow, that’d be awesome!</p>

<p>I got into Newman Hall and I need info :)</p>

<p>Anyone have info on Slusher Wing - my son was assigned to a room on the 1st floor.</p>

<p>I was on the first floor of slusher wing last year. All I can say is it is hottttttt. There is carpet like stuff on the walls that just trap in the heat. I would suggest a high quality fan (or two/three/four). The first floor is also really long and narrow and rooms are grouped into little pods of about 6 or 7. Real easy to make friends as you are in close proximity. Its not really all that comfortable (HEAT) but the pod-like structure of the rooms makes it easy to meet people. In my experience it is not one of the nicer dorms on campus but hey…its only just for a year. I believe there are two RA’s on the first floor, a few small study lounges, and a big laundry room. The floors above belong to the WING program (people who want to “share” the freshman experience) and Hypatia (which is for female engineers). There is nice interaction between the floors, as in my case the RA’s tried to arrange activities and events. The wing is connected to slusher tower which is 12 stories high, and there is a great big lounge in between the two where one could watch tv or study with friends. Again, in my experience it wasn’t one of the nicer dorms on campus, but your experience in it is what you make of it. Hope this was somewhat helpful…</p>

<p>People are probably going to start looking at places to apply soon, so I’ll bump this up to the top for them.</p>

<p>Does anybody know if VT has ever released the 50% range for ACT scores? I don’t see it anywhere.</p>

<p>Have never seen the middle 50% range but believe I have seen the average composite ACT score is 28.</p>

<p>Nice, thanks! I have a 28 so hopefully that means I have a good shot.</p>

<p>Bumping for new admits/transfers/whatever</p>

<p>Our son has received a 4-year Navy ROTC scholarship to Tech. He has applied to Tech regular admission and checked the appropriate Corps of Cadets/Navy ROTC box.</p>

<p>Does the Navy notify admissions of his scholarship?</p>

<p>Apparently admission decisions are coming out now so here’s another bump.</p>

<p>hey chuy, im about to accept my offer to VT and i was wondering about the GALILEO experience thing. I think im a laid-back fun-loving engineer and i dont really want to be stuck with a dorm of all antisocial nerds, but i do think that it would be valuable to live with people u will be taking classes with cause u will all be in the same boat. Did u do that Galileo thing? what do u kno about it? what are the kids like in that program. does almost everyone (engineering) do it? any thing u could tell me about it would help a lot, thanks</p>

<p>Engineering is far too large for everyone to have done Galileo. Check for my responses in other threads (use the search) and PM me if you want more details, as I live there currently.</p>

<p>Keep in mind that Virginia Tech has a very large engineering program, so you’re going to have engineering students in every freshman dorm. The kids in Galileo aren’t going to be vastly different than the kids in any other dorm, but they’re all obviously engineers and are at least somewhat committed to the field.</p>

<p>If you want to do theme housing, do the Residential Leadership Community. You get some GPA-boosting courses and you get to live in the NICE dorms. Unless you’re seriously overloading your schedule you can handle two extra extremely easy courses each semester.</p>

<p>“Does anybody know if VT has ever released the 50% range for ACT scores? I don’t see it anywhere.”</p>

<p>I forgot what sports messageboard I was on (TSL, Scouts, Rivals) but someone said the AVG SAT was in the 1260s and the AVG GPA was a lower 4.0. You could call the admissions dept and I’m sure they’d tell you.</p>