Quick!

<p>Someone give me five reasons why Wisconsin is better than Michigan!</p>

<p>hahahahaha</p>

<p>less competitive
lakes.
good football AND basketball teams
in my opinion madison > ann arbor (college town wise)
about 10K cheaper.</p>

<p>I was contemplating michigan also but I'm glad I went with wisco.</p>

<p>Also, academic programs are completely comparable, imo.</p>

<p>Better in sciences
Better in foreign languages
Better sense of humor
Better town
Better student union.
Not a one sport school.
Better campus</p>

<p>Add to above:</p>

<p>Easier airport to campus access. </p>

<p>State Street.</p>

<p>Campus cares about the individual- there was a timetable for next fall glitch with 2 honors courses time conflicts and they switched one time within a day of my e-mail, I've had several instances with very nice e-mail or phone call information/help (and I'm a parent, not a student with insider access). Know nothing about Michigan's willingness to accomodate.</p>

<p>thanks for the responses everyone. What about girls? lol They've got to be better than Ann Arbor....</p>

<p>and wis75, as far as michigan's helpfulness etc., they are absolutely miserable in that regard-- when I visited and whenever I talked to someone, I felt like it was a privelage to even be applying to their "fine prestigous University." Also, one admission counselor I talked to said that she considered "Harvard, MIT, Yale" as "peer institutions to Michigan. Those were her exact words... HAHAHAH LMAO</p>

<p>Much Much Better. And way more fun.</p>

<p>can you say BUCKY?</p>

<p>I turned down Michigan solely for the reason that I found the whole process full of arrogance. People look down on applicants and accepted students. </p>

<p>Michigan employees (I'm not sure about the students) that I've dealt with seem to love to flaunt about how great they are.</p>

<p>
[quote]
What about girls?

[/quote]

They are great as GFs and even better as spouse that I married one! :) Truth be told, in small circle of friends, we have witnessed at least a dozen of Badgers-only marriages in the last few years. </p>

<p>I saw this thread @ UM <a href="http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/showthread.php?t=322132%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/showthread.php?t=322132&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Great places to visit on (UM) campus?
WizzyWigs (Overpriced Japanese stuff)
Zingerman's Deli
Bubble Island (assortment of bubble teas)
Pinball Petes (arcade)</p>

<p>Huh? That's all??!!</p>

<p>I was accepted at Umich but turned it down because...</p>

<p>Even though statisically Umich looks a little better on paper, they are kinda the same
10k cheaper
madison is a way better college town
people are more laid back and down to earth</p>

<p>fndrplayer8,
It is so nice to hear that you agree with me in this... I have talked to so many people about it and everyone seems to think that. It is remarkable that U of M is still considered such a fine institution seeing as how many people these days seem to be turning it down, sometimes for lesser schools like MSU, simply because they are so unbelievably arrogant and impersonal. They truly think that they are teh greatest thing since sliced bread, and want to make it clear to everyone. It seems that pushing this idea (as well as affirmitive action, ha) among people is more important to them then the future and well-being of their students.</p>

<p>In addition to all the above, Wisc has an extra something special. It's hard to describe. You could call it liberalism, but I prefer "toleration" or "idealism." It's just a very open-minded place and rarely does anyone hassle anyone else. Keep in mind that it was one of the most radical campuses in the country back in the 60s. The whole place is still imbued with a spirit of "do your own thing," "how can we make the world a better place," and "expand your mind."</p>

<p>I don't get the same feeling at Mich. The employees are very cold and the kids seem to be from the same Abercrombie-clad mode as the kids in our local high school.</p>

<p>"When you've said Wisconsin, you've said it all" - or some such quote that became popular after my time. I don't think of hot girls, I think of cool guys... And it's the kind of campus the not so hot girls could enjoy- who cares about all that high school stuff... so many different ways to be a part of the campus, and to define what's fun, just find/invent your niche and don't worry about anyone else.</p>

<p>"It is remarkable that U of M is still considered such a fine institution seeing as how many people these days seem to be turning it down, sometimes for lesser schools like MSU, simply because they are so unbelievably arrogant and impersonal." - Tainted2121</p>

<p>How much "lesser" is MSU to U-M if so many good students are turning U-M down for MSU?</p>

<p>That is a good question... </p>

<p>Right now, UM is still certainly the better school. They simply have too many great applicants to choose from to be able to mess that one up. In 25, 30 years, however, who knows.</p>

<p>Is great applicants the only indicator of greatness? Being better? Is what you’re saying is the school with the biggest megaphone is the best? Is it all about sheer populatiry... I'll admit, U-M had a lot of great qualities and has a better rep than MSU. But you can't deny that MSU is a very, very good school; excellent, really, because there are many aspects to measuring quality. And when it comes to the overall UNDERGRADUATE environment; quality of teaching; quality of resources; quality of campus; quality of living... Michigan State University is hard to beat...</p>

<p>... and despite the general feeling of U-M automatic superiority over MSU... Quality students are voting with their feet. And YOU KNOW quality students wouldn't turn down a top school, en masse, for another school if that other school wasn't very good, too. Really, in the same neighborhood if not the same league.</p>

<p>I applied to Michigan early on in the admission cycle, only to have them defer me and then waitlist me, with no contact whatsoever. When I called, the guy I was talking with was very stern and concise, but seemed very unapproachable. The campus was far too confining, and the kids in my tour group seemed overly anxious just to get into UM. As far as rankings go, and the Ross School of business, UM has yet to be beat by many schools. But in other, unquantifiable terms, such as student happiness both current and prospective, and overall feel, Michigan has itself caught in a quagmire of apathy and ostensible superiority. I am completely exhausted with dealing with UM, which suffers from the Harvard Syndrome (treats everyone like it's their divine privilege to attend the University of conservative snobs and numbers-happy maniacs). I used to harbor a great, albeit rankings-based love for UM, which many of the kids in my elitist east-coast school go to. Note that until two years ago, I lived in the quite normal Stillwater, MN. I figured I didn't want anything to do with my current school culture, which, quite frankly, would go hand-in-hand with UM's.</p>

<p>I am truly blessed to have gotten into UW. I have kids from Stillwater as well as all over coming here. I visited, and two freshmen were kind enough to give us an enthusiastic tour of the entire campus. Furthermore, staff were very accamodating, taking their time drawing a detailed map of out destination. Current students were more than happy to heap praise upon UW. The culture is much less highbrow and, like Berkeley, more laid-back. How many schools can give you lakeside dorms? I will try my best to thrive in this school, but I don't think it will be a problem.</p>

<p>P.S. If this seems like an angry rant, it is. Even without deferral/waitlist anger though, a pair of campus visits should more than convince anyone that UW is the better University, and will surpass Michigan in the rankings soon.</p>

<p>Well said, timmao. I've never been to UW and only know somewhat about it (like it's outstanding J-school and beautiful campus along Lake Mendota, for instance) but from what I do know, it's an awesome school that's doesn't quite take itself as seriously as some...</p>