Realistic potential colleges to look into(HUGE DILEMMA)

<p>Im a late-realizing African-American senior at a big, public school. Im president of the International club and local RedCross county chapter. I won honorable mention at the Model UN debate, and im fluent in English and Arabic. I have a 3.15 Cumulative GPA and a 26 composite ACT PLUS WRITING score. I have lived in 3 different continents and spent my freshman year in Africa. Ive been involved in soccer for 4 years(1 letter), Basketball freshman year, and Club Rugby for 2 years. 4 AP classes my senior year, 1 my junior year. I am a legacy at the University of Pennsylvania and plan on applying early decision.My strongest asset is my writing. I understand my "stats" are well below the standard of many people that write here. I have been getting those brochures and letters from just about every school, from Calvin Christian college to Princeton.</p>

<p>In short my mediocrity has landed me in a wierd place; and i dont know where i should be looking. Should i actually consider schools like Upenn and Princeton or should i reply to those "who" schools. </p>

<p>What im trying to ask is, "Whats my league? What schools should i actually be looking at, where i have a decent chance of getting in?" </p>

<p>God Bless</p>

<p>I have no problem in assisting a fellow player of the great game of Rugby. First, answer this question, “What school do I want to go to above all others?” Once you’ve answered that question, you’ll know which schools to apply too. You shouldn’t not apply to a school just because you think that your stats are mediocre, they might consider you because of your race, if you take less financial aid, or seem like you have an aptitude for learning. Apply to the schools you want to go to, especially Penn and Princeton. You never know, you just might get an acceptance letter.</p>

<p>They say that there is no “cut-off GPA” or test score for a reason. I had always dreamed of applying to U-Penn, because it was my favorite Ivy League school. Junior year passed by and then I was really starting to notice that there were more schools like U-Penn in many ways. My interest in U-Penn waned over months of my senior year. Even though I applied and got rejected with a 3.2 UW GPA I still gave it a shot. If you really have an interest in a school you should give it a shot. They must see you as an outstanding applicant in other areas if they want to accept you. I later on Applied to University of Michigan and what do you know. I got accepted even though my grades were far below the average. Similar to the U-Penn situation. Don’t look at your grades and test scores and let that stop you from applying. You absolutely never know. Take Harvard for example. Even though people that apply there have 4.0s and 2400’s Harvard accepts less than 1 out of 10 applicants. They are looking for something beyond scores. However my teacher once put it another way. They look at your scores and grades first. If you don’t meet a criteria they throw your application out. Then they look at recommendations/essays and continue further dumping out applications. I’d say apply. But know that 9 times out of 10 that you aren’t going to get accepted. Just be hopeful and be positive. Your Essays, recommendations, and Extra Curricular activities have to be PERFECT!</p>

<p>I can’t give you a recommendation on schools that would fit your criteria because I’m not sure what you want to study, what matters in terms of location, and how you view other aspects of the college life.</p>

<p>Both of you gave great advice, really. Im rather frantic at the moment because it seems like my entire future has been decided because of the poor decisions i made when i was 14/15. lol The system is fair in its own way, and it obviously has its negatives as well. You guys really cleared things up for me. Thanks alot for your sagaciousness, both of you.(im sure you guys can tell this was my first post)</p>

<p>I agree with the above sentiments. It is your prerogative to apply to any schools which you are interested in, but it is to your detriment to only apply to those with low acceptance rates. As long as you have enough safeties and “matches”, the amount or type of schools that you apply to is completely up to you. I would advise for you to work on your standardized test scores. If you don’t test well on the ACT, take the SAT as well to see how you fare. Make sure to have your SAT II subject tests done. A lot of people get automatically rejected for their failure to take these required subject tests (at least that is what I was told by somebody in the admissions office).</p>

<p>The combo of legacy and under-represented minority at UPenn give you a better chance than you think. You need to realize that your legacy only “counts” if you apply early decision at UPenn. If I were you, I’d apply ED to UPenn, and if you are not accepted, apply Princeton and some other matches /safeties. However, I will not be surprised at all if you get an acceptance letter from UPenn!</p>

<p>Thanks a lot for the optimism, its tough finding that around here and i vehemently appreciate it. And I bet you two know what your talking about, seeing that your both from Dartmouth and Penn, respectively. Good luck and thanks again great advice.</p>

<p>What would you consider a match school, is what i am also essentially looking at. If anyone could help, that would be AMAZING.</p>

<p>What state do you live in?</p>

<p>Here is a list of some match schools:</p>

<p>Howard University
University of Maryland(College Park)
Rutgers University(New Brunswick)
Moorehouse College
University of Pittsburgh
SUNY Binghamton
Drexel University
Syracuse University
Fordham University
Michigan State University
University of Delaware</p>

<p>There is roughly a pretty long list. Apply to the best public university in your state. Unless you live in California, apply to UC Irvine, Santa Barbara and San Diego.</p>

<p>Your the **** lol thanks, i was already applying to 3 of those schools.</p>

<p>roll the dice. kids of all different stats get in at all kinds of places. you should just take a shot in the dark, and if you don’t get accepted then you’re in the same position you are in now, not accepted.</p>