Reject Train Going Full Speed

It’s not the green card that is immediate but the relationship - parent to child = immediate where brother to brother doesn’t. The IR visa means Immediate Relative, not immediately issued a green card.

I don’t think he can do ROTC until he has some kind of legal status, beyond DACA.

Did you apply to any of the meets full needs schools like Berea or schools with a lot of FA like Alabama? If not, take a gap year and reapply.

The auto-correct on my phone is awful.

I meant do you qualify for full-ride scholarships anywhere and is your PSAT score high enough for National Merit?

http://automaticfulltuition.yolasite.com

This hasn’t been updated so some of the scores to qualify may be different these days. In particular, you could look at the AL schools. UA-Huntsville is known for STEM.

@HKimPOSSIBLE :
VERY IMPORTANT: YOU DID NOTHING WRONG.
Your record is stellar and this, by any standard.
What is hurting you is your status. Not your application nor your achievements.
Obviously you wouldn’t get into all these universities but you had a serious chance. But your status changes that:
If the university places you in the “international” pile your odds just go down to such a low percentage that it’s like playing pool with your left hand and a scarf on your eyes.
If the university considers you a permanent resident because you graduated high school, then things are a bit easier, but your odds are still about 1 in 20 to 1 in 15, like for all US applicants.
But you were right to apply to these schools since those would be the only ones that would be affordable due to your income situation.
(Did you apply to Pomona? If not, keep it on your list for next year if nothing pans out- anyone who graduated from a US HS is treated in the same way for Admissions and Financial Aid.)

You’re right that you’re better off taking a gap year: if you can get your green card by the end of October, which as a minor/under21 child of a permanent resident should be possible timewise, you will be able to re-apply to many colleges as a resident. In fact, once all your decisions are in, if you’re not admitted anywhere affordable, email the admissions counselor for your area at each college and let them know that you’re still extremely interested and are about to get your green card, will keep them updated. Applying as a legal resident will make things much easier.

If you take a gap year, would the lab you’ve been working at keep you in a paying role?
(I think a lot of stores have been increasing entry level wages to $15 an hour to find workers, it might be possible to find such a job?)

Fingers crossed for the rest of your applications.
But remember: you only need one affordable acceptance.
You never know. Sometimes that acceptance happens right at the end, when you thought you’d get zero. (I’ve seen it happen). So, don’t despair, but plan ahead. Be ready for the best as for the worst - but the worst is still, staying in the US, getting a green card, and trying again next year with much better odds of success.

Your stats would allow you to get full rides in several states. If push comes to shove, the CC community will help you find these universities for next year, too, so you have these “meet full need without loans” colleges on your list alongside “merit for stats” and “competitive merit” universities.

Thank you to everyone who has given guidance so far!
@privatebanker For ROTC, I believe I can join ROTC, but will not be eligible for any of the scholarships or the full course completion due to my status. If there was an option to join the military and get my status, I would do it in a heartbeat (not literally, but you get what I mean) and as a bonus, I’d lose some weight too :stuck_out_tongue:

@PurpleTitan For UA I’ve asked my College Counselor and poked around myself and I’m not sure if those scholarships apply to “internationals”.

@Mwfan1921 My aunt actually does not pay me, but she does help with my parents’ (again, which I use to refer as my single father) bills and some living expenses - my brother does the majority. My aunt helps me a lot with clothing and of course, I get some bubble tea and treats while I work there. There’s really not much to “save” as there is to quickly pay the bills.

@MYOS1634 Thank you so much. I’m not really sure how the Ivy League schools see me as a DACA (am I international? Probably? But then again, Columbia asked in the common app whether I was a DACA recipient or not which might have something to do with the pooling). As for what they say, I’m just not sure what to believe. Colleges, especially like UChicago, claim to be full on DACA supporters and make themselves sound like a “sanctuary” (not saying I’m entitled or anything, I’m not) when in reality they consider us as internationals and are need-aware for us. As for Pomona, no I haven’t. In fact, I kept that as an available option for next year, since I was told that private universities won’t accept or change a prior decision unless what I accomplish is “grand” (though I’m not sure to what extent that is true)

I just really hope Case Western pulls through for me as I know their pre-med program is stellar and the Ohio clinics are top notch for building my experiences.

(Sorry for the late replies, was eating dinner)

Have you considered Berea College? The application deadline is March 31, and it would be affordable.

@dadof2d That is very interesting and I haven’t looked into that…but I’m sort of skeptical on how that is even possible and if there are any hidden fees, caches, and or obscure details not covered in what they advertise. Also, if tuition is free, I’m not sure how much they dedicate to opportunities for research and just faculty in general. This may be me sounding too privileged, but I’m not sure if this may be the best option for me as a STEM/pre-med prospect.

I’ll definitely look into it and it’s something I’ll have to discuss with my college counselor as I hope he might know better.

It’s free because all students there have high need and it’s their main hope, sometimes their only hope, of going to a good college. So, when they graduate, they remember and donate, hire grads, etc. The college is free to students because donors generously insure it can continue its mission. It doesn’t mean it’s run for “free” . In addition, all students owe work hours to help the college operate, which keeps costs low.

1 Like

Regarding the UA scholarships:
Yes, they are open to Internationals. @paul2752 is an International who graduated from a US HS and he was able to go to college because he was fortunate enough to hear about the UA scholarships.

Regarding Berea: Beggars can’t be choosers (and life’s not fair, but right now, you’re not a citizen or permanent resident). Anyway, it’s actually one of the richest schools around on an endowment/student basis. Also set up specifically to allow poor kids to go to college. Pretty certain they send their fair share of grads to med school.

Regarding pursuing an MD: I believe MD-PhDs are funded but very competitive to get. Any decent STEM PhD would be funded and they are open to Internationals.

1 Like

Don’t lose your hope. People have already said this, but you are qualified to get into the schools you applied to. You still have quite a few schools you’re waiting for and therefore still have a chance. Remember, each school is different and admissions is seemingly arbitrary–people get rejected by Harvard yet get into Yale. Just keep your head up. Even in the case that things don’t turn out the way you wanted, there’s always hope for the future.

@HKimPOSSIBLE and others.

The program I am saying to look into is not simply rotc. It is a national guard program. You join now. And DACA status is certainly eligible to join the army. But you go to school and receive rotc benefits and to have normal guard requirements while I school. Monthly drill. Annual Training over the summer for two weeks.

You become a commissioned officer in the army guard at some point used to be after two years of college or aa degree it might be a full four now. Then you are an officer in the guard and go to school. There’s tuition benefits and actual pay like a job. When you graduate your options are full time army or stay with the guard for some period of time.

I don’t remeber the name. I went through the usmc version of this called PLC but it works a lot differently.

My suite mate just made his first star. He went through the guard program I described. State school. Very poor. Now he’s a general.

@privatebanker Please help me look into finding the one for the army (I will be looking too).

@privatebanker, I know that any IL National Guard member may attend any IL public tuition-free after 1 year of service but are you sure the IL National Guard is open to DACA recipients?

If you Google “DACA National Guard”, you will find numerous news stories highlighting DACA recipients who aren’t allowed to join the National Guard.

@PurpleTitan

No. I only asked Hkim to look into it. With mnavi program for regular army op’s brother used thought it was worth a shot

But was concerned the op talked about rotc.

He has to call Illinois guard.

I haven’t read through the thread yet, but I would want to admit you on creativity alone, based on the name of this thread.

I think your temperament will get you through this and at the perfect school for you (or you will make it perfect).

I have read this thread and briefly looked at your stats… You are AMAZING! I just do not honestly get how some colleges decisions have been going down in admissions offices, nor do I work for a college, so I have little insight. This said, what is your intended major? STEM? Though I think you will get an acceptance from one of the other schools you have yet to hear from, if you are STEM applicant, I would suggest maybe looking at and if you like what you see contacting Rose-Hulman in Indiana. https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rosehulman-institute-of-technology-1830

Great advice here and I just want to say I’m rooting for you and I’m fully confident you’ll start a fantastic college journey either this year or next year.

If you have to take a gap year and reapply, CC will be here to help you put together a stellar list and approach for finding the college and resources you need. Chin up – it will work out one way or another and I’m sorry this has been so disheartening.

In regards to Berea if you have any questions please ask. There are no “hidden fees, caches, and or obscure details”

My daughter is a student at Berea and absolutely loves it. Plenty of Berea graduates go on to medical school. In fact my daughter is on an athletic team and one of her teammates is graduating this year and going on to med school. She has offers from 3 med schools and is trying to decide which one to accept.

My daughter is staying for the summer term and was just offered a research position over the summer.

It is a small but beautiful campus in the mountains, so if you are looking for the big city it would not be for you.

Berea can provide you with internships, research opportunities, and med school if that is what you are looking for without “catches.” The only catch, if you want to call it that, is that every student is required to maintain a job on campus, which you are paid for. After the first year you have to apply for and be interviewed for any position you are interested in. You get an evaluation by your supervisor every semester and at the end you graduate with a 4 year employment resume.

Two follow up items—

-I assume you accepted a waitlist spot at MIT? Make sure to send a LOCI to MIT’s general admissions email…demonstrated interest is not really a thing at MIT but can’t hurt to send a LOCI

-Did you make sure that the rec letter your lab mentor wrote, that was sent for your HPME app, also went to your regional AO? I don’t know the nitty gritty of the 2 app processes, but they used to be somewhat separate, with many hands in the process. I know it’s late, but just want to make sure your regular NU app (and AO) has that rec letter.

:frowning: Waitlisted by CWRU…this was supposed to be a low reach match for me.

@Mwfan1921 No I don’t think they have this. How would I make sure the NU has my HPME recommendation?

^ Hardly any schools are need-blind for Internationals, so you have to take that in to consideration when comparing with how well American citizens/permanent residents do in admissions.