Rejected from FSU w/ AA due to high credit hours [transfer applicant currently at USF, 2.57 college GPA with 100 credits]

Applied as Junior transfer with 2.57 cumulative & 3.05 AA degree. 100 hours exactly. Met pre-requisites of exercise physiology program I applied to except for 2 (science course + lab). I communicated with admissions and advisors at FSU multiple times about this in advance and they said it would be okay to apply for Fall. I was denied and informed “100+ attempted credit hours and history of D/F” (1 D & 1 F, retaking both this summer and fall) were the concerns of the university. I’m going to take classes at the community college in Tallahassee and hope to reapply for Spring. Is this worth it? Will I ever have a chance of being admitted into FSU? Am I only being denied because so many credit hours and if so then where can I finish college? It seems like if FSU denied me, then no other university would want to accept me either for the same reasons. I have 3-4.5 semesters left of major coursework and have steadily increased my grades and GPA from a 1.9 freshman year. I have no qualms about finishing college as a 5th year and however long it will take to get into FSU in the mean time if anyone is wondering.

Three to 4.5 semesters left ? That’s a wide variety.

Have you read this ?

I can’t answer your question but FSU is a top school. 7514 applied for transfer. Only 2381 were admitted. While I can’t find the necessary gpa, I’d imagine your record just didn’t cut it.

You might ask a transfer admissions counselor to meet to get further guidance.

https://admissions.fsu.edu/transfer/WWLF/

https://ir.fsu.edu/commondataset.aspx

3 Likes

Are you aware of the excess credit hour surcharge and could you afford it? Perhaps you should consider private universities that will take your credits and offer transfer scholarships if the excess surcharge costs will make finishing a degree at Florida publics unaffordable even if admitted.

“In 2009, the Florida Legislature implemented Section 1009.286, Florida Statutes, to encourage students to complete the baccalaureate degree as efficiently as possible. It established what is known as the Excess Credit-Hour Surcharge. The law requires universities to add a surcharge to every credit hour taken in excess of the total number of credit hours required to complete the pursued degree.”

https://registrar.fsu.edu/records/excess_hours/

If FSU accepted your 100 hours, you’d only need 20-25 credits to graduate. FSU doesn’t want to issue a degree to someone who got the majority of his education at a different school.

Go to the transfer adviser at your community college and ask what to do. The answer may be to stop taking community college credits! There are a few community colleges in Florida that do issue 4 year degrees but I’m not sure what majors are available.

Ask the adviser if there are any programs that might allow you to finish your undergrad and get a masters at the same time. That may help with the too many credits problem.

1 Like

Couldn’t they simply just not accept all the hours so the student would have two years to go?

I wonder if the issue was GPA. I posted admit stats above - with less than a third being accepted, perhaps it’s as simple as “Applied as Junior transfer with 2.57 cumulative & 3.05 AA degree” didn’t cut it.

That maybe a W Florida or FAU or UNF might be more in order??

I think OP can ask FSU and as you said, their CC counselor.

1 Like

Thank you for all your responses. I communicated with a transfer officer at FSU this morning and she stated that reapplying for Spring would probably not give me enough time to demonstrate a new pattern of better grades (A’s) and that 2-3 semesters of consistent better grades in classes at TCC synonymous with my current major might give me a better shot but obviously no guarantee as it’s ultimately up to the higher hours committee over. I scheduled to talk to an advisor at my current university and another advisor at TCC. The transfer officer didn’t really address my GPA’s at all, she really seemed to emphasize the high hours were the turn off but I’m sure a 2.5 doesn’t cut it either with FSU’s competitive nature as some of you said.

I would have around 40 left. I’m a pre-med who switched majors after a year so I’m barely halfway through my major. I still have organic chemistry, physics, calc 1, bio 2, anatomy/physiology 2, microbio, and genetics + labs to take. Thank you for your recommendation though

I do think you’re not cut out for FSU - sorry - but it’s reality.

I’m not sure of the GPA cut offs for a Western Florida or FGCU or FAU, etc. but you need to look at the schools that aren’t the big four - UF, FSU, UCF, USF. Or you might look OOS if you can afford - schools like Valdosta State or Ga Southern or South Alabama, etc.

Also, for pre-med, based on what I’ve read on many other threads, it’s highly unlikely you’d have a chance at a medical school with these grades.

Best of luck.

2 Likes

I currently go to USF. Thank you for the response and honesty

What - you go to USF?

So why would you leave to go to FSU. I thought you were in a community college.

OP- if you are currently at a four year institution, forget about transferring and just buckle up, fulfill your major requirements, and graduate. You are describing a VERY long path if you transfer…

Perhaps you should sit down with the Health Sciences counselor (forget the transfer officer) and map out what your program needs to be, how you are going to get there, and find out if you are a realistic candidate for medical school??? And if so- what you need to accomplish in the next two years?

The clock is going to run out at some point…

7 Likes

Apologies, I probably should’ve mentioned that much earlier. I’ve wanted to go there since a little kid. I love the tallahassee area, campus, sports, and school spirit much more. I want to go into exercise physiology and work with their sports teams as a student-volunteer. USF has poor sports standing so I don’t think it would be as great of an experience. Also want to continue a deep family legacy

Understood. I have scheduled an in-person sit down with a health science advisor so I will cover the pre-med track as well like you suggested. Thank you

The school’s standing or athletic excellence don’t diminish the need for trainers, etc.

Careers and lives are long. If you want to be in Tallahassee, you can get there - but maybe not today.

You need to get educated, qualified to do what you want to do - then hopefully you can find a way to do it where you want.

But whether the football is 11-0 or 0-11, they still need trainers, etc.

1 Like

Thank you

OP-- you are likely at a crossroads.

Either your desire to become a doctor is number 1-- in which case, there will be a very clear path in front of you, where the quality of the sports program is completely irrelevant. Or, you want to be in Tallahassee- and you can meet your professional goals by becoming an occupational therapist or any one of many satisfying allied health careers.

But you are putting some unnecessary roadblocks in the way if you transfer. And adding YEARS to what is already a very prolonged educational path to becoming a doctor. And tens (or hundreds) of thousands of dollars.

I’m not making a value judgement- you do you. But you are already off to a very slow start on the path to becoming a physician… and I’m worried that nobody in your life (besides the transfer adcom’s who rejected you) has given you anything close to a reality check.

1 Like

I am at a crossroads, yeah. I understand I’m significantly behind on the path to becoming a physician and that if I go through with my decision to pursue FSU at all costs that it could be even more prolonged.

My logic was that I have a significant amount of years (2-3) of schooling left to complete my pre-medical track regardless of where that is so why not do everything I can to get into the school I’ve wanted to go to for a long time, especially considering my unhappiness at my current school. TCC offers the majority of my remaining pre-med classes so I figured I could do 2-3 semesters and make progress on my major there and reapply with much better and consistent academic standing and prove that I am up to par of the students accepted at FSU and those on the pre-medical track.

I know that right now I am not viable for any medical school at all but I’m turning things around with A’s and B’s in pre-med courses this summer so I’m aiming to continue that for the rest of my education and compensate with a high MCAT score, great statements, and diverse clinical experiences.

Even if it may seem I’m blowing you off, I’m not. I do appreciate your honesty and concern and taking all these opinions into consideration.

I totally get your logic.

I just hope that after sitting down with the Health Career Advisor (or whatever it’s called) you spend a tiny percentage of the time you’ve invested in getting in to FSU, into coming up with a viable plan B.

Maybe you’ll get in eventually- or not.
Maybe you’ll do well in organic chemistry and the other “gpa busting” courses you need to take- or not.
Maybe you’ll prep for a long time and do really well on the MCAT- or not.
Maybe you’ll be a credible medical school applicant- or not.

But at the end of the day- you still have the rest of your life and career ahead of you, and it might make sense to invest a tiny bit of time and energy exploring alternative paths.

Just a thought.

I fully understand what you’re saying and I will spend time making a quality backup plan. Your thought is not being disregarded.

I accepted a while ago that I’m going to have a very untraditional path towards medical school and that’s okay. Again, I appreciate you taking the time to share your input and answer this thread- you don’t have any obligation to do so but it’s nice to know I’m not being ignored.

I’ll come back if I have any major update or questions I can think you guys can shed some light on.

2 Likes

If I were you, I’d stay at USF and get the best grades you can. Then I’d get a masters at FSU, starting with a fresh gpa.

I’m afraid I don’t know of a person who took the MCAT who wasn’t hoping for a really high score. It’s a hard exam.

2 Likes