Renter's insurance

<p>My son will be living in his first apartment off campus this fall in Madison. I was wondering if anyone out there knows of a good renter's insurance policy that perhaps their student has used. My older son who attends college in Colorado has inexpensive renter's insurance and with his apartment, we were able to purchase one renter's insurance policy for the apartment and he and his two roommates were able to share the cost of the policy. I am interested in something similiar to that for my younger son attending UW Madison. Anyone know of a good renter's policy in which all three roommates can be on the same policy?</p>

<p>I doubt you would want to share the insurance. Check to see if your homeowner’s policy will cover your son. See if you can bundle it with car or homeowner’s insurance if not already included. We never had separate insurance for our son at UW, never heard of trying to bundle it with others.</p>

<p>My son just finished freshman year and is also moving into an apartment – we had signed up for about $1000 in property insurance with CSI last year, basically to cover his laptop and phone. Looking at the renewal form, there is also additional property insurance available, as well as liability coverage. You might take a look at that.</p>

<p>Just call State Farm and get a basic renter’s policy for about $100. I think it covers $25,000 in property loss. Make your son the only named insured. You can also get identity theft for another $25.</p>

<p>I had State farm. They were fine on first claim.</p>

<p>Note that some Madison prop mgt companies require that renters show proof of renters insurance, Steve Brown being one. Cost should be no more than $125 per yr.</p>