“Repeat” French 2 with Dual Enrollment over summer, or self study to place into French 3 in fall

S24 (homeschooled) took 2 years of French online. For a few reasons (deccided he didn’t like the online program for learning a foreign language, thought the French 3 meeting time conflicted with an AP class he wanted to take, wasn’t sure he wanted to continue with language) he didn’t take French 3 this year. Then he decided a few months ago he missed it and started practicing/reviewing on his own, but not super intensely.

He is going to do dual enrollment classes for his senior year, and would like to continue his study of French. At this point, I don’t think he could place into a college level French 3 class. Do you think it would be better for him to:

(1) Take French 2 as dual enrollment this summer

• would be an organized class that keeps him on track
  • has a least some speaking practice (but is online)
  • counts as college credit (and if he goes to our state flagship they require homeschooled students to have 27 units of college dual enrollment credit or to take the GED)

(2) self study over the summer to pass placement

• he can use Modern States & his book from French 2 (they only covered the first half :roll_eyes:), so cheaper than DE
  • doesn’t have French 2 on his transcript TWICE, or I could put it in his transcript as French 2.5 or something

I think he’ll learn the material either way, but dual enrollment will be easier to keep on track. And I don’t know how bad it will look to repeat French 2.

HS French 2 and college French 2 are not the same class, and every AO knows that.

Personally, I would opt for the DE course. While I’m not a fan of online FL courses, I’m even less of a fan of self studying FL, and TBH, it sounds like he needs the structure of a class.

3 Likes

DE French 2 is equivalent to HS French 3. He should review before taking it because it’s going to go very fast.
Typically summer sessions are 6 weeks and would cover the equivalent of 1 year of HS French (new stuff for him) so if your DE college offers 2 summer sessions, I’d take DE French 1 for review during the 1st session then DE French 2 in order to take DE French 3 or HS French 4 in the Fall.

2 Likes

The college has full summer (9 weeks), and half summer terms (5 weeks). The language classes are all the full summer term. I do need to do a bit more research on it because it looks like they co-teach the French 1-4 classes. They are all online at the same time with the same teacher. I’m not sure what that means. :confused:

But it sounds like colleges won’t be concerned that he did 2 years high school French, and then placed at French 2 for the dual enrollment, so we will go with that plan. Even if the class isn’t ideal, I do think it is better than him only self-studying.

Thanks!

A 9-week term for a FL is better. It’s still a lot of work but more doable. :slight_smile:
Yes, you’re right: colleges know that College French 2 is not at all like HS French 2.