Researching Nursing Programs

Has anyone run into this? My daughter is looking at 5 programs which she has been accepted to. She has asked admissions or a contact in the nursing program things like the number of students who start the program and how many make it through, the curriculum by year, if there are any pre tests students have to take to sit for the NCLEX exam, and an estimate of lab/clinical fees for the program. The colleges my daughter is interested in have been able to answer most of these questions, except for one…Sacred Heart. She has emailed multiple people including the nursing dept. who just tell her to come up for the admitted student day…is this crazy? I can’t believe she cannot get answers to basic questions via email. This is one of the schools she likes…so don’t know if I should step in.

Who is being emailed at Sacred Heart? Maybe you need to find another person to email. I remember my daughter had trouble getting answers from an admissions official, and then we found out later that he was in the process of quitting.

Most colleges do not publish that info but will provide it if there is a direct question to them.

A college is dong their graduates a favor by making them take pre-tests and test prep. However, some have been overly restrictive in what standards they use in letting their graduating students take the NCLEX. Some make a student come back for another class, which extends their education for another semester or another year.

You can see the number of graduates who took the NCLEX on the table of NCLEX pass rates by institution, which is posted online for most states. If you know how many entered the program, it can provide an interesting comparison. However, at some colleges, they accept some transfers into the program.