Residency comes next

The funyy part is that D. has much harder time deciding on her #1 for Prelim year. She sent her preference to specialty and gave herself today as a deadline for the Prelim.

Specialty list will be hard in the middle. I believe that it is more or less clear for 3-4 at the top and definitely for the bottom 2.
I am glad that we will be on vacation for 2 weeks right before Match week. D. keeps herself busy with rotations and other credits to fullfill her hours hopefully earlier.
Actually, March 20 in my mind is not as important as March 16.
No “love” is received from any programs, I do not know even what it is.

“Love” from programs can take many forms. Like an follow up email from a PD or interviewer–not asking about medicine topics, but a “How are you?” or “I enjoyed talking with you” or “I read a book recently and thought you might like it” or something similar. (Making promises or relaying specific information like “we’re ranking you, are you ranking us” is a match violation.) Or a highly positive/encouraging comments made to the applicant during interview sessions. Or someone told someone who told someone and the rumor mill went to work and it got back to one of your child’s advisors/your child that a certain program was impressed by or liked her/him. Lots of intangible, indirect stuff.

OK, you made me feel a bit less wrrying, WOWM.

Mine have been more of handwritten or emailed notes that (paraphrased) say “I hope you enjoyed your time at Our Program. You made a great impression and are a strong candidate; it would be great to see you in June!” I’m unsure how much stock to put in them so I err on the side of caution and don’t put much stock in them unless I can tell they are highly personalized, which most have been. One came through ERAS and started with “Dear Applicant” which didn’t really impress me much!

These tactics seem to really vary by specialty. Friends going into other specialties, who are on par with or have better numbers than I do, haven’t had similar experiences. I’m mostly happy that the programs I’ve liked the most have also eventually reached out to me in a reassuring way.

^Thanks, Kristin for your your specific examples. D. mentioned none of this type. On the other hand, she has sent her “love” to her top prelim and specialty programs. Well, I liked one saying that I heard on TV yesterday: “Show up, do your best and forget the rest”. Nothing else D. could have done, I am sure that she is done her best in everything so far. At least she is busy and does not have much time to focus on this.

I hope that everybody else feels this way also. I am very sure that everybody is done their best!

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/another-34000-people-are-about-to-put-their-future-in-the-hands-of-an-algorithm/

Did you see this interesting article?

Well, while it is a lot of people, D. and we care about 500+, which was an average number of applicants at the programs that she applied. Still way too many for the “regularly” available 2 spots and even too many for “large” programs that offer 4-6 spots, which is not that usual. There are cases of strong applicants with relatively large number of interviews (considering that 10 is a goal on average, say they got over 10, like 12) who simply fall thru the cracks of this algorithm and they have no other options whatsoever, but wait for another cycle (they may consider some fellowship Research positions, but everything that they do while being productinve and enhance their experience and application, just postponning their original goal)

Today is the last day to submit or update ranks lists!

D1 has had some positive developments on the post-residency employment front

D1 was just offered another job this week (contingent on her completing residency). She now has 3 standing job offers --including one from a hospital program she really likes. 

You have got to be kidding, err - I meant Congratulations!

what area of medicine?

not posting for reasons of privacy

PM me if you really want to know.

Thats ok, just curious what residencies are in such demand that a job gets offered before someone starts a residency.

I suspect it has a lot to do with the location rather than specialty.

Now I get it!

The deadline is 2/25 at 9PM EST
I don’t know where you got the date of 2/20? Perhaps it is a school-imposed deadline.

'Twas D1 what told me when I talked with her this weekend-- but lots stuff in that 20 minute conversation: current rotation tales (almost all of them grisly), her next rotation (hand clinic?), graduation date and who gets invitations, Match night dinner plans/reservations, her upcoming travel, my recent trip, dogsitting request (which swore I would never do again) along with instructions on how to deal with said dog, taxes, job offer, her latest match list revision, issues dealing with her sister-as-roommate (still have managed not to kill each other—but the year is young!), car repairs, explanation about some of my lab results mean (I see my PCP Monday so she’s not trying to treat me–just answer some of my questions so I can hold an informed discussion with my doctor), whether she got the 4 boxes of GS cookies I left for her, what she thought of my new choc chip cookie recipe (liked old one better)

it’s possible I misunderstood.

I simply could not convince my D. to push that darn “button” or whatever it is. But she did after I told her that it will make her dad and me feel better, she did it for us. She could not bring herself doing it, although her lists (both prelim and specialty) were finalized. And now she has a problem of “getting loose”, so she decided to come home for a “change of scenary” so to speak. We will be happy to see her for few days right before we are flying to our 2 week vacation.

She loves her current Emergency Medicine rotation (AI), the only complaint is a ton of free time that she is used to spent “socializing”, but everybody is on different schedule, so she cannot catch anybody. Doggy is her company mostly. She loves to “stich” wounds and she had more practices now, she says that it is just another “art form” for her in addition to few others in her life.

Looks like NBC created a show called late shift which seems to be a poor successor to ER.

What’s funny is that most of its ‘on location’ hospital scenes (those not filmed at I-25 Studios) are all filmed at the hospital right next door to my work site. (My site and the hospital share a parking lot.) When Night Shift’s tent city and trailers are blocking my egress when I’m on my way home, I’ve often thought about sneaking into their craft tents and snagging some lunch/dinner. Least they can do for the inconvenience they’ve caused me.

Other ‘on location’ hospital scenes have been shot at the med school campus/hospital, another hospital close to downtown and the VA hospital (which is also adjacent to my work site).

The hacienda/ranch scenes are filmed at home about a half mile down the road from my boss lives. (The real ranch belongs to my boss’s former boss–who is a communications/media mogul.)

I watched a few eps to play “spot the real location”, but the show isn’t all that good.

D. enjoys her Em Med. rotation. She loves to be busy. The only downfall is that she struggles to cope with lots of free time between her shifts. Her brain is not going into “right” direction during this time, as there are no social outlets since all in her “crowd” of friends are on different schedule. She is actually looking forward to be on the shift every day, so that her mind will focus on the task at hand and not on the future which is only 2.5 weeks away.
As far as TV shows, I like “Untold Stories of ER”.

Maybe Doug Ross inspired me to be a pediatrician.