Rice Early Decision for Fall 2022 Admission

Rice University offers Early Decision but does not offer Early Action for freshman admissions.

The Fall 2022 admission Early Decision (ED) deadline for Rice is November 1.

All ED1 applications should receive an admissions decision by December 15. Last year, Rice admitted 408 of the 2,628 applicants who applied early decision. The acceptance rate was 15.53%.

For more information visit the Rice University page on College Confidential.

See updates and discuss results with other Rice applicants.

Are you planning to apply early to Rice University? Why Rice? What questions do you have about applying early? Comment in the thread below.

To discuss other Rice topics visit the rice-university tag on CC Forums.

Have more information about Rice Early Decision?

This post is a wiki and allows CC members to edit and update relevant information - just click the Edit button in the lower right corner. (You must be a registered user with at least Member level privileges to edit wikis).

1 Like

The deadline for Rice Early Decision is NOVEMBER 1 NOT NOVEMBER 15. First Year Domestic Applicants | Office of Admission | Rice University. Good luck to all of you applying to Rice early decision.

Do we know when the decisions will likely be communicated?

For the past 2 years, Rice Fall ED has come out the 2nd Thursday in December. So if I was betting, I would expect decision next Thursday, December 9th.

Is your son/daughter in Texas, Out-of-State, or International?

2 Likes

That’s really helpful - thank you!! We are in Texas.

1 Like

Good luck to you.

Hey to everyone applying ED. We are from Kentucky. I was completely addicted to this site when my D19 went through the college application experience. I’m surprised there hasn’t been more activity on this thread. My son is a Rice ED applicant and while I’m not the lurker I was back in 19, I’d love to hear from some folks waiting for the big day! It’s been super quiet.

2 Likes

Hello! Currently studying for my physics test and simultaneously excited for the big wait! Honestly kind of concerned with my application and I hope Rice does take my circumstances into account. Good luck all!

Good luck to you all. Looks to be another competitive year and so we’re all hopeful but at the same time, trying to be grounded that a lot of great, well-qualified, hard-working students will simply not get in… And that will be okay. In the long-run, everything works out. Good perspective to have during the next few humbling weeks of EA/ED decisions.

1 Like

Does anyone know if Rice sends out an email letting us know when the decisions come out? Or do they just send an email on the day decisions are released? Also, has anyone seen if they released a letter with the stats or is that usually done later on?

1 Like

Normally decisions are posted to your portal account at 4pm central time on “announcement day” without an accompanying text/email.

2 Likes

I’m not sure they publish a lot of stats about ED applicants besides acceptance rates. Last year there was an article about the acceptance rates for ED in the Rice paper about 10 days after acceptances went out. Not sure if any other type of letter went out. But, I could be wrong!

1 Like

Nice to see some activity here! I know everyone is nervous about the pending decisions, but this site is great for support and compassion (most of the time!) What I’ve noticed over the years is that the decisions process becomes a family experience. We have visited and analyzed and played out different scenarios…ultimately our visit to Rice in October sealed it for my Son22. We had a really good visit to Lehigh about two weeks after - loved the campus and the people - but Rice was the love he couldn’t shake. I think that is what helped him decide to do ED; even though he loved Lehigh - he would still choose Rice over a campus that was super appealing. Did anyone else have that experience when deciding on ED? Or did you just visit Rice and immediately know?

1 Like

Does Rice send “ Likely letters” this year?

Son22 applied ED without visiting campus. He did talk to 2 current students who are family friends about their experiences which solidified his decision. We’ve asked him multiple times if he would like to visit, but he said he would only if he gets in. But I do know that after visiting UC campuses this Summer on a 2 week road trip, he decided he wanted a smaller campus and Rice certainly is the perfect campus (at least on paper). After talking to our friend’s two sons, he was sold.

I believe, that at this point, ED decisions have been made and just waiting to be uploaded. So just trying to enjoy the process knowing that there’s nothing anyone of us can do at this point but wait… Personally, I vacillate between thinking he has a good chance to thinking that he probably won’t get an ED offer. Hard to be objective knowing how hard he worked on his application but we’re trying to keep the right perspective that he’ll end up where he is supposed to be and he’ll make great friends, get a great education, etc. no matter where he goes…

Same here. Rice sounded almost too good to be true. I have a daughter at a t20 research university, and my son wanted to have more of a campus experience than she has had. But never in a million years would I have guessed he’d ED to a school in Houston! He really doesn’t love the heat. So for Rice to win him over despite the distance and the heat…well, it was worth the ED decision.
I vacillate between the sobering statistics and the hopeful belief that he was able to say something memorable in his application. I know all the applicants are super qualified and deserving. You’re right - the decisions are made - and I believe we will have some answers very soon.

for regular decision yes. but there is no need to send a likely for ed as the student is already binded to admission if accepted

I heard from my counselor that decisions might come out Thursday so hopefully that’s true

Rice just announced decisions will be released Thursday good luck to everyone!