Riverside Dorm furniture arrangement ideas

<p>My daughter will be staying at Riverside. The website says that the beds can be raised to a maximum of 33". What ideas are there to maximize the space in the room? Can you fit the dresser under the bed? Is there any other furniture we should bring? Book case?</p>

<p>I’m sewing her bedding but I think I may wait on sewing the bed skirt until I know how high the bed will be.</p>

<p>i think lots of kids put the dresser under the bed and then they use the other space to add plastic drawers or something. to me it seems like a bookcase would be a welcome addition.</p>

<p>my DD might put her desk under the bed, too. she rarely works at a desk, so she doesn’t really need access to the top of the desk. she might position it so she could pull it out if she needed to work at it, but keep it under the bed when not needed.</p>

<p>The dresser will fit under the bed if the bed is raised to its maximum height. That said, your D may want her bed to be lower so that it is easier to get in and out of without having to climb up the bed frame or jumping up to the bed. I prefer to use the top of the dresser to set things. like a printer, toiletries, etc. My room at home is a similar size to the ones at UA, so I don’t feel like I have less space, but if anything I would suggest the plastic sets of drawers that are $10-$20 at Target or Wal-Mart if she needs extra space. The closet will have a couple shelves in it, along with a clothes rod, so that may help.</p>

<p>I think that it’s really cool that you’re sewing the bedding. At home, some of my bedding is UA-themed and was sewn by my mom and I really like it. Remember that the bed is a Twin-XL, so there is that extra length you have to deal with. I’m not sure if you are planning a bed skirt that goes to the floor or just a foot below the mattress, but I would think that it would easily get caught in the drawers should you put the dresser under the bed.</p>

<p>Extra furniture is optional and besides a garbage can, you don’t need much extra unless you need to store things. While admittedly I don’t bring large amounts of stuff to school, I do find that a couple boxes (plastic or cardboard) are useful and that the cupboards in the bathrooms and kitchen can hold the things that need not be in her room like food, cooking implements, and cleaning supplies. A bookshelf is a good idea if your D has a lot of books she wants to display.</p>

<p>I don’t know how far you have to travel, but remember that everything you take you either have to bring back, put into storage, donate, or throw away. You’d be amazed at all the stuff that gets thrown away unused.</p>

<p>My kids have put their dresser under their lofted bed.</p>

<p>They’ve also have put a 3 drawer plastic stacking set (from Wal-Mart) under there for off-season clothing and other stuff. </p>

<p>They’ve also have stored cases of water/soda/snacks, etc that they aren’t sharing with the suite. LOL </p>

<p>Some kids put their own little fridge under there - for those who have mooching suitemates or visitors.</p>

<p>My son bought three, stackable plastic drawers from Target and fashioned them into a night stand. He kept his desk and drawer together, using the dresser top to hold his printer and TV. He also had a three-shelf bookcase that folded up. He had his bed at the maximum height, as he stored things under it.</p>

<p>My son has had his bed lofted both years and has never put the dresser under his bed. We did purchase a tall bookshelf from walmart and put it together back at his dorm. We take the top section off for easy transport each May when we store his stuff in a storage unit for the summer (we live in Ohio). He keeps a couple of large storage bins under his bed along with his luggage. The original boxes for his tv/monitor and printer are kept in the hall storage unit. He uses a multi shoe pocket unit on the back of the door in addition to a cubby style shoe holder in the closet (for ties, belts, etc). He keeps his mesh style collasible hamper in the closet. The narrow side table sits next to his bed. Both years he has had to place some part of his bed in front of the window. Keep in mind, the funiture placement will be dictated by the location of the cable and computer jacks in the walls. </p>

<p>Your kids will adapt to their new surroundings.</p>

<p>After Bama Bound D decided she wants the lowest level since she had to pretty much pole vault into bed at night. Also, she wants the counter space afforded by the dresser when it’s left out.</p>

<p>Timeflew: If your daughter does have storage bins, make sure they still can slide under the bed when it’s left at the lowest level. Storage units have very different heights.</p>

<p>Yes, target has some colorful plastic crates very similar to the old milk crates that used to be ubiquitous in college dorms. I think they will fit, but we’ll adjust the bed as necessary or possibly use the floor space in the closet.</p>

<p>Timeflew: my D had decided she wanted her bed lofted to the highest possible level so she could use the space underneath. DH & I didn’t think that was a good idea since she just had knee surgery this winter. When she got to Bama Bound, it was lofted to the highest point; she ended up pulling the mattress onto the floor. Let’s just say that she’s changed her plans for the fall :wink: We’ll be doing some measurements when we look at underbed storage next week…</p>

<p>I had a really small dorm room so when I had people visit me I had my friends use a “bed in a box” hideaway bed. It was great for when people crash or if you have a really small dorm room. I found mine at <a href=“http://■■■■■■/aZdqpo[/url]”>http://■■■■■■/aZdqpo&lt;/a&gt;. It was cheap and good quality. I could fold it up when I wasn’t using it so it was easy to store.</p>

<p>We purchased two stackable, foldable three-shelf bookcases that have proven to be invaluable storage solutions for my son. Here’s a link to a pic of them, standing atop his dresser in one of the super suites at UA: [The</a> University of Alabama - Videos, Photos, and Visit Reports](<a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/vibe/the-university-of-alabama/?entry=image_0_67jlsusl]The”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/vibe/the-university-of-alabama/?entry=image_0_67jlsusl)</p>

<p>My son chose not to loft his bed, but there was still plenty of room underneath to store stuff. Here’s a link to a pic that will give you an idea of the space underneath his bed: [The</a> University of Alabama - Videos, Photos, and Visit Reports](<a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/vibe/the-university-of-alabama/?entry=image_0_lqdp5sy6]The”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/vibe/the-university-of-alabama/?entry=image_0_lqdp5sy6)</p>

<p>And, just for fun, if you’d like to get an idea of how beautiful it is at UA, here’s a link to a pic of the view from the living room of my son’s dorm: [The</a> University of Alabama - Videos, Photos, and Visit Reports](<a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/vibe/the-university-of-alabama/?entry=image_0_2fwom2vg]The”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/vibe/the-university-of-alabama/?entry=image_0_2fwom2vg)</p>

<p>My son lofted his bed, and placed the dresser under the bed. The top of the dresser is used for the printer and paper storage. If you put the front of the dresser flush with the front of the bed, you then have storage room behind the dresser. We put a narrow tall plastic storage bin back there with cold weather clothes. Next to the dresser is a collapsible hamper and a small 3 shelf movable cart (on casters). There is also additional storage space behind these two items. Think in terms of front/back storage. Upfront: items you will use daily. Behind: items used less.</p>

<p>Also, Don’t forget the walls as vertical storage. With the help of removable hooks, you can hang items such as hats, scarves, etc.</p>

<p>The inside of the closet doors can be extra vertical storage with the use of a pocket organizer. The clear plastic ones are especially useful as you can visualize what is in each pocket and organize accordingly. place one on each door and double the storage.</p>

<p>Be creative and flexible. All of the above suggestions should give you plenty of options but actually being in the room will make it easier to adjust ideas.</p>

<p>my DD has her bed on the highest setting. it is kind of a tradeoff. do you want more floor space or an easier time getting in and out of bed. </p>

<p>she has all her other furniture under the bed (2pc. desk and dresser).</p>

<p>doing it this way allows her to have room for a chair and a bookshelf.</p>

<p>we used the over the door closet organizers, as well.</p>

<p>Seriously though, especially when comparing to having the fit two kids in a similarly-sized room, these rooms have much more space than needed. I can’t really imagine anyone having space issues here :)</p>

<p>^^^Exactly right, AL34. Even without lofting his bed, my son has plenty of room/floorspace. And there is room left over in his closet despite the fact that he brought more clothes than he will probably need. The super suites are the finest college dorms I’ve ever seen.</p>