Roanoke, VA Amtrak Station?

Good info @OspreyCV22 but we are in NYC. There might be some carpools going to and from VT but the train seems like the best option, especially after navigating I-81 and I-78. Sheesh, lots of big rigs and crazy drivers.

We spoke to a couple of NYC kids at Hokie Focus who use the train and they said it’s the best option for them. And they had NO IDEA that a Roanoke station was opening this year. Glad I was the bearer of good news. :smiley:

Getting to DC and then catching a bus or train would open up more travel options and scheduled departures from DC.

I did not consider that @NoVADad99.

Thanks.

We took a flight direct from LaGuardia to Roanoke and drove in on 81 - 40 minute drive. We were home in CT in 4 hours. Not bad at all. The worst part was getting to LaGuardia from CT. My only wish would be a direct flight from Bradley International or Tweed. Perhaps a thought is a cab to train station and then have him hop on train to New Haven, CT instead of the the drive to and from LaGuardia. There is a bus service offered by VT for students back and forth to Roanoke - I want to say something crazy cheap like $4.00? There is a whole page dedicated to travel to and from VT that I found. Being that my S absolutely loved it there and it has taken over the top spot, one more admitted students day to go, I am in the process of checking travel options. I will be dedicating a whole lot of time to this so I will share everything I find :slight_smile: I know there is Greyhound bus service from certain destinations too, depending upon where you live. Flight seems shortest but obviously may be not cost effective enough for many. I will also contact my inside info at Amtrak and try to get an update on the Roanoke platform.
Everyone, I would appreciate your knowledge and info regarding getting back to CT in addition to what’s already been shared.
Also, while we are at it, maybe this is not a good string but I did learn for the first time at Hokie Focus that basically housing is off campus after freshman year. Would love to hear thoughts on that? Perhaps a new string is best.

@STEM2017 …" And they had NO IDEA that a Roanoke station was opening this year. Glad I was the bearer of good news."

I tried to look for a bigger news source but the proposed federal budget will cut Amtrak from 23 states and close 250 stations. I would guess it would affect the proposed Roanoke station. Roanoke was founded by the railroads at a crossroads. And doesn’t still have train service.

http://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/2017/03/16-trump-budget

@xaviermom2017 Maybe start a new thread on off campus living so future VT people can find it in the search tool. If you look at Craigslist for Blacksburg you can see there is a glut of student housing. I’ve seen some places that would be $350/month if shared. My son lives in an Living-Learning community and they are guaranteed on campus housing all four years if they want it. Look on the VT website under housing for info on how to apply. A good perk is that he has an elevator and A/C.

The Roanoke stop would be part of the “Northeast Regional” run so hopefully it will be spared from the cuts.

Let’s hope Roanoke keeps moving forward on the Amtrak schedule. Amtrak is pushing for it so it will be up to the budget. I will keep trying to gather more inside info on this.

They’re definitely working on it today!

http://www.roanokerailcam.com/

Thanks for sharing the link @STEM2017 I live in Roanoke and go downtown quite often but its cool to see the construction. My only worry is the parking in that area is pretty bad. I have internship in the tower seen in the left of the video (Wells Fargo Building) and I have to get my dad who works nearby to move the car frequently because it is only 2 hours parking around that area and all garages are quite expensive.

Edit: Just realized that yesterday my car would’ve been parked in the bottom right of the video. I walk across the bridge to get to the building.