ROSE HULMAN, PURDUE OR NEU

I am an international student got admitted to Engineering Undergraduate - Rose, Purdue and NEU. NEU cost more @68000, Rose @55000 and Purdue @43000. I am so confused. Could you please help me to take a right decision. Rose is best school- I have seen posts comparing it with MIT, Michigan and any other reputed engg colleges but international reputation lacks, Purdue well reputed but very large school- one number in the crowd where as NEU pricey but with Cooperative education and moderate reputation. But very dynamic, keep on attaining new heights… We are ready to pay for the best…

IMO Purdue’s degree in engineering will open more doors - nationally and internationally - than the other two choices. You are correct that Purdue will not hold your hand and will present you with an incredibly challenging experience, but that is exactly why the degree is so prized. As your cheapest option, Purdue would certainly be my choice among these three.

A different perspective here. Rose Hulman is an undergraduate engineering school with close to 100% emphasis on undergraduate education. Purdue and NEU are PhD-granting institutions where faculty are expected to allocate only 1/3 or their time to undergraduate teaching/learning, the rest is allocated to graduate students, research and service. IMO, unless you really want to conduct undergraduate research that Purdue or NEU are known for, from a purely (engineering) learning perspective, Rose Hulman comes on top where professors are not distracted with graduate students and conducting research on non-education related topics.

Thanks for the responses. Now I am more confused. As an international student I am looking for an institution which gives me a well rounded balanced education with ample of opportunities to do internship/coop which later can help me to secure a job… at the same time value for money…I am looking for an Engineering plus business combination

Rose Hulman, while an excellent engineering college, does not have a business program. That should narrow you down to Purdue vs NEU.

But Rose is offering good Entrepreneurship/ Economics minor. I have seen many positive sides for all three institutions but I cannot enroll together. However, I need to pick the best option…

Most schools provide you with industry connections for internship and co-op opportunities. Schools like Purdue, however, naturally have more visibility in this regard. 100s of companies show up on campus each year wanting to recruit engineering students. Most upperclassmen who want summer internships probably will be able to secure one, though I am not sure to what extent international students (with no work permit) would be able to take advantage of off-campus work opportunities; you need to looks into it.

If you are interested in business/entrepreneurship programs, Purdue is a good option. It gives you more exposure and connection opportunities.

What do you mean by a well-rounded balanced education? Per ABET accreditation requirements, engineering curricula in most US colleges follow the same road map. You will be taking the same general science, engineering science and design courses as well a few humanities/social sciences electives. There is very little room for pursuing other academic interests, unless you want to extend your undergraduate education beyond four years.

If you want to balance your academic life with a rich cultural and social life, you best option is NEU in Boston.

I am looking for a school = (Purdue+ Rose Hulman)/2. Capturing all aspects . I was aiming WPI but could not secure admission there. I requested for Financial Aid. Also, thanks so much for your valuable recommendations and spending your time to help me.

What did you choose from those schools? Because I am dealing with the same situation… Rose Hulman VS Purdue… Both good schools, rose focuses more on its undergraduate students but it is much more expensive than Purdue…

Purdue. But was very difficult decision. But now I am happy with my decision.