Rushing Fraternitys

Hello, I’m considering attending the University of Alabama this coming fall and I have a few questions about rushing a fraternity, if someone would not mind answering. I’ve been told that letters of recommendation are needed to join a house? Is this true? Second, I’ve read that houses have a GPA cutoff at around 3.0 - 3.3? I will have a 2.9 - 3.0 ( sat score makes up GPA), will my GPA have all the houses automatically cut me? Overall, I’ve been reading that it’s extremely competitive rushing at Bama, I’m just nervous, because I would like to be a part of the Greek system and that my GPA, and not having any letters of recommendation may hinder me from getting a bid.Thanks so much.

I want to add that I would be coming from Colorado, greek life isn’t as competitive and just a different vibe.

All that is true of Alabama sororities…but NOT fraternities. Nobody waits for formal recruitment to pledge a fraternity. What you need to do is e-mail the fraternities NOW (list is on the UA IFC website http://alabamaifc.com/main.html) and tell them you are interested in finding out more about their organization. Then when you are in town for Bama Bound, try to visit as many as possible Hopefully they will respond and invite you to come by when you are in town. The fraternity method is to issue bids and pledge a bunch of guys and then sort them out during pledging. But if you don’t get a bid right away, don’t worry - pledge of guys pledge second semester or even as sophomores. Be friendly, meet lots of people. The best way to select a fraternity is to pledge where you have friends…so you’ll want to make a bunch of friends when you get here. In addition to fraternities, there are lots of sports and interest groups and clubs. You’ll get a chance to explore them during Get On Board day, very soon after classes start. Good luck, and Roll Tide!

Thank you so much @Southlander for your response, it was very helpful, have a terrific day!