Out of State Fraternity Rush

<p>Hi CC,</p>

<p>I’m definitely rushing a fraternity in the fall, but I’m worried that since I’m from out of state (West Coast) and don’t know anyone who is currently in a fraternity at the university, that it will make getting into a fraternity difficult. I am wondering if there are certain ways I can get my name out there and on potential new member lists. Should I email rush chairs, or is that not the thing to do? Thanks!</p>

<p>First, there are a LOT of fraternities at UA. Some have grand mansions, some have older fraternity houses, some have the small houses owned by the university, and some have no houses. Second, yes, there are some fraternities who won’t look at you without you knowing somebody in the chapter, whether you’re out of state or not. But that’s just a handful. Third, it’s OK to e-mail rush chairs, but wait until midway through second semester - say, end of February. Officers are new, or not yet installed, and they won’t be thinking about fall rush until well into second semester.
THEN…e-mail…if you don’t get a response of any kind, wait a couple of weeks and e-mail again.
There is a formal fraternity rush, but MOST of rushing is done during the summer. There are get-togethers at the house (or apartment), as well as in locations around Alabama. If you are here during the spring, let them know and see if they invite you to come by for a visit. When you come for Bama Bound, contact them, let them know you’ll be in town, and see if you don’t get an invitation to go by. Bids are often issued both during the summer and just as school starts. Finally, if you don’t pledge in the fall, it’s really not that big a deal. Some of the fraternities have spring pledge classes. Most are known to consider sophomores. It’s all about that personal contact. It may be an very old friend, or it could be somebody you talk briefly to on the phone or at an event of some kind. If you don’t pledge right away, meet lots of people, girls and guys, and keep your eyes and ears open.</p>

<p>^ Amazing synopsis of + advice for the guy-rushing process! It just sounds SOOOOO much less stressful for a guy… ;)</p>

<p>It is indeed!</p>

<p>Have you visited a UA? If you are planning on visiting, make contact with the fraternities and ask about a tour while you are there.
Also, another option is attending Early College for just one semester over the summer. Even in Summer II they invite some of the guys to events. It’s a great way to get a head start with your UA credits and meet people. They have generous scholarships for EC students. You live on campus all in one dorm, mandatory study hours and curfews. This is because some EC students are still in high school. My daughter loved it and we plan on our second daughter attending EC as well. She went to a few fraternity events as the date for the guys in EC with her. </p>

Most of the Old Row frats have family connections. Not to say you can’t get in without, but the majority have them.