Safety Precautions

<p>I’ve been to UA a few times and it strikes me as a safe place. Is there anything to be aware or any special precautions one should take? Are there issues around game day, particularly on the strip? Is there any special advice I should give my S? My wife was concerned that he has a first floor suite, but I don’t see that as a problem. He probably should be careful to make sure he closes his window though. She’s from a big city with a lot of theft so she’s more concerned but potential issues than I am.</p>

<p>I think the biggest thing to be aware of, especially on game days, is intoxicated people. Sometimes you just have to completely ignore drunks haha. Other than that, I’ve never really experienced any safety problems. Also, maybe tell him to be careful about leaving laptops and textbooks unwatched at libraries and places like that. Of course, the closer one is to campus, the safer it is.</p>

<p>Do not wear orange. Ever.</p>

<p>I don’t think he has any orange in his wardrobe, lol. We’re dragging him on a clothes shopping spree this weekend, so thanks for the heads up.</p>

<p>My cousin and uncle are UT grads. UA isn’t playing the Vols this year, are they?</p>

<p>Yes. October 26th.</p>

<p>Ah, my son has the other package. Will the Tennessee game be a tough ticket? If he’s able to get a couple of tickets my cousin may be able to go, but she’s pretty loud so he may not want to sit next to her.</p>

<p>When your cousin hears Rammer Jammer at the end of the game she’ll know the true meaning of loud, rip. ;)</p>

<p>I’ll be attending this one. Can’t wait to get back to Bryant-Denny.</p>

<p>With respect to safety, a referee’s whistle (e.g. Acme Thunderer) can be an effective way to attract attention/help when needed. Small, discreet, and loud as . . .</p>

<p>I (true to my over-protective tendencies) put a cute pepper spray in D’s Christmas stocking. Not sure if they are legal on campus but wanted her to have it. When I helped pack her up, I came across the pepper spray still in its original packaging. I think D feels safe on campus. In fact, D felt safe enough to walk by herself from the CBH lab to her dorm at 3 or 4 AM, which she later agreed was not the wisest decision.</p>

<p>I sent my D with a weather radio. I think a weather radio or a weather app for the smart phone is a good thing to have. Maybe a different kind of safety than what you were thinking about, though.</p>

<p>Contrasting this with the other hot thread on CC today: <a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/937855-bad-things-about-university.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/937855-bad-things-about-university.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>While no campus is perfectly safe, I think safety at UA would be high on the list of “GOOD things about the university”. It was a big factor for us when considering/comparing the famous engineering university in our state.</p>

<p>Re the Pepper Spray. Heard today from the campus police at the Early College parent meeting that Pepper Spray IS allowed. However, Mace is illegal on campus as it is considered a “weapon”. </p>

<p>As for the electronics, these are typically crimes of opportunity no matter where one is. Even in a suite if you go to the bathroom have them locked up. Your roomie might be fine but you don’t know the roomies study friends or friends that are there. At the library don’t walk off and leave, in the words of the UAPD, “don’t go to the bathroom and leave your $1200 laptop, $300 phone, and $500 worth of books sitting there.” With your friend to watch, okay. Both of you don’t go at the same time.
Sad, books are worth money now. They can sell them for a few bucks.</p>

<p>How do you lock up a laptop in your room?</p>

<p>Lock the door. Each bedroom door in the suites locks. If one is in a traditional dorm then invest in a safe. Today at our meeting Dr.Causey told the EC students to always lock their bedroom door any time they leave their room. Going down the hall of your suite to shower, lock the door.</p>

<p>D will be in Tut for the fall. We have told her that even if she is running to the bathroom across the hall, lock the door!</p>

<p>I always thought locking ones door while they are in the bathroom 10 feet away was a little extreme, provided that the front door of the suite is locked. Granted, some people have different ideas of what is safe and what isn’t. </p>

<p>When walking late at night, be aware of your surroundings. Some have the philosophy that talking on ones phone or taking to oneself very loudly will scare off any would be thieves and such. </p>

<p>Also, there is an advantage to not bringing very many items of value as there is less stuff of value for others to steal. </p>

<p>It’s important to teach your students that not all drunk people act the same. Dealing with an angry drunk is different from dealing with a sad or overly talkative drunk.</p>

<p>riprorin, some people buy laptop locks, but such locks are often not used by the students and come home at the end of the year unopened.</p>

<p>I purchased a laptop lock for S, with a huge long 5’ wire thingie for about $25. Never used it. Since he does not take his LT w/ him anywhere, I might (at move-in) chain it to the desk before I leave, because I know he won’t.</p>

<p>I don’t know where he is going to study, but he’s a CS major so I’m sure he’ll be lugging a laptop around for school work or LAN parties.</p>

<p>It’s a gaming laptop, but it’s a beast - big and heavy. He has a tablet too though and will probably have a smartphone soon too.</p>

<p>The locks are very useful if you’re in a library and can chain it to a table/desk.</p>

<p>at the entrance of the university</p>

<p>Have you been to many large universities? If you have, you’d realize that they aren’t fenced, and they don’t just have one or two entrances.</p>

<p>Colleges aren’t like theme parks where the whole place is gated and there are a few controlled entrances. Colleges often have public streets running thru them and there’s no way to control who comes onto campus or not.</p>