Say it here cause you can't say it directly- the get it off your chest thread (Part 1)

Dear bill collectors: “Rufus” has not had this phone number since AT LEAST 1998. I don’t know who he is or where he lives. Quit calling me!

Mean girl behavior isn’t any more fun in middle age than it was in middle school

One of my D’s has a best friend who is depressed and suicidal since a family trauma a year ago. My D prevented one attempt by urging her to get help when she was contemplating acting. More recently an attempt was made, but not successful because my D kept her on the phone while an ambulance was called and help arrived. The girl was in the hospital, and tgen transfered to a mental health facilty where she’s been for a few weeks. She seems to be only getting worse. She calls us a few times a day and I have never heard her so despairing.

My D has been in counseling since her friend’s family problems started. Her first therapist moved, and her current therapist is changing jobs in the near future. They have been great but now we’re going to have to find a new one. And it therapy doesn’t completely help when the calls are coming in everyday.

This is one of the situations you never thought to find yourself in as a parent or see your kids in. My D is only 13, and has been in life and death situation. It is such a burden for her to carry. How do I handle this as a mom?!!

I love my D, I love her friend, and I love her friend’s family. Turning our backs on this isn’t an option, but it’s been really hard.

No, a sugar free, paleo, keto, vegan, whatever diet you read about will not solve his problems. We have to wait 52 days to get more tests and more insight and for the love of god it might be ALS so just stop telling me he seems unwell and does he take Advil because you’ve heard that’s bad. We’re exhausted. Shut up.

I am SO ticked. D receives some funding from out state. Despite our checking throughout the semester, her school did not timely bill the state. Student affairs person left. D talked to new person yesterday.

School has a 4 year history of not billing the state correctly for this, and having multiple screw ups in dealing with it. Despite all the paperwork and authorizations, D receives a nasty email at 7 pm tonight, her last day of classes, that they will withhold her degree at graduation. Of course, that person does not pick up the phone at 7:01.

This is an extremely small school. They depend heavily on alumnae and parental support. Not feeling the love. I’m a person who has ducks in a row. Definitely not happy they ruined D’s weekend. And mine :frowning:

You are even giant-er idiot than I originally thought!!!

Wasn’t planning on being on house arrest today, but whatever. Thank God for Netflix and Amazon Prime.

Hey, Dr.- so glad I researched options before going with your plan for an open surgery. Learned that robotic laparoscopic surgery has been the standard fix for years, with recovery in half the time and less risk. Funny how you never mentioned an alternative; makes sense given you don’t perform them, though. I am appreciating the difference every day.

What should be fun is nothing but stress! Please follow through!

To whoever decides each year to drop off domesticated geese on our pond - probably thinking they’ll have an idyllic farm life - I just want to let you know they’re tasty. If the foxes don’t get them (they do most of the time), then we enjoy them for dinner. If you would ask first we’d tell you, but no, overnight sometime you just drop them off. They have no idea what to do in the wild. They get attacked by the wild geese who don’t want them near too - but hey - you don’t care about that at all right? In your dream world they live a perfect life. You obviously love hatching and raising them -why?

A modification of that can go to those who think dropping off kittens is humane too. We don’t eat them, but other critters do - or just kill them and leave the bodies.

Just. Stop. Talking.

Yes, I recognize that you feel offended. But please recognize inside of that offense that you are now informed.

Dear friend: I am worried about you. You sound so depressed. I reached out to you on your birthday like I have for the last umpteen years. You responded with a litany of things that you don’t like or don’t like to do, the things that are going badly for you/your kids, the things that don’t interest you, that you keep in touch with no one from our old days but me (and to be honest the “Debbie Downer” responses are getting hard to swallow).

When I expressed concern and suggested some ways to perhaps find some joy in your life, you say you aren’t depressed; just introverted and prefer alone time. Well, even introverts have something positive to say… about something! You sound very depressed, but if you don’t think so, I can’t help. I don’t want to think you are just a curmudgeon or a sourpuss. It sounds like your DH travels with his friends (because you won’t) to have fun and a quality of life. You sound miserable, and I am sad for you. But the first step to fixing a problem is recognizing that there is one.

well THAT was a wild horse race result!

With all the talk of officials impacting sporting results, its now come to horse racing too. Who would have thought?

DS just got a jury summons in Austin, where he hasn’t lived since 2011 (he had to withdraw from UT due to his mental illness). Sigh, something else to deal with…

And thus ends my long tradition of watching every single Kentucky Derby since Secretariat in 1973. It’s amazing how one bad call can change a person’s love of something and turn it into disgust.

On the plus side, I can attend FDIL’s graduation without worrying if I can escape to watch the Preakness.

Not exactly sure why people get all bent out of shape regarding the number of colleges that a student applies to. You do you and don’t worry about others.

A poor score on an AP test or a final is not a fiasco. Getting a few bad grades in high school hasn’t ruined your chances of success in life. Not getting in the colleges you wanted most is a setback, not an end to all your hopes. Other people getting into schools that denied you isn’t a personal tragedy. A poor recommendation isn’t the end of the world. A bad fit in college or a lousy first job can be overcome with some thought and effort on your part. Life is long and your life will be wasted if you view it all as one long race that you can only lose because bad things will happen… and someone will always be ahead of you. I really wish people preached perspective as fully as they preach the fine points of competition.

Yes, I am going to be difficult about this. Until you come up with a better work-around for the challenges with the organization’s email system, I will be using gmail.