scholarship appeal (University of Utah)

I have the flagship scholarship to university of utah right now which is worth $20000 over 4 years. I was really hoping to get the presidential scholarship (worth $35000) but I appear to have been just short of it. I have a 1480 on the SAT 3.98 GPA and I am currently in calc 3. There is a kid I go to school with who got a 34 on the ACT and has a 3.96 GPA who got the presidential scholarship. I was wondering if anyone has appealed their scholarship to university of utah and what the best way to go around doing that is. It sucks I am losing $15000 due to a couple of missed questions on the SAT. I currently have a full ride to UVU and Utah State but University of Utah is my #1 choice and I won’t be going there unless I can get some more aid. Also I will graduate high school with my associate’s degree so I will only need to go to school for 2-3 more years for undergrad. Just wondering what my chances of getting bumped up to the presidential scholarship is and how that would be possible, thank you

Don’t know the answer but am curious if you can appeal the offered scholarship. OOS D has 1560 SAT 35 ACT 4.0 UW GPA tons of leadership/clubs/community service, NMS and didn’t get the Presidents. Full tuition minus fees is still a great scholarship and makes it very affordable but a little surprised not to see the Presidents scholarship. I guess you needed to have perfect ACT.

@rose135 The cutoffs for OOS are much higher than in-state. I can confirm that last year Presidential wasn’t awarded to 4.0UW/35ACT OOS either, despite the NPC showing it would be. But Eccles is more holistic, so try that.

OP, not sure if an appeal will get anywhere, I’m aware of someone who tried last year (for a different scholarship) and wasn’t successful. I suggest your best bet is to apply for Eccles, which as I noted considers more than just the stats.

@Twoin18 - does admissions spell out stats for the scholarship or is it up in the air based on the applications received each year? OOS S20 has a 4.0/35 but it sounds like he likely would not receive the presidential. Any idea as to what those stats normally receive since the NPC is not quite accurate?

@mountainmomof3 It was the OOS Academic Excellence Scholarship (four year full tuition minus fees) last year and apparently the same for @rose135 this year too (https://financialaid.utah.edu/types-of-aid/scholarships/freshman/academic-excellence-scholarship.php). It isn’t spelt out but from the info in the acceptance thread it will hopefully be possible to reverse engineer the table of awards.

Thanks, Good to know @Twoin18. And D had 1530 not 1560. She will apply for the Eccles. Is your D enjoying Utah?

Ok - thanks! With NPC being off I was confusing the different programs. Yes, trying to reverse engineer the stats required. Still sounds quite generous. Thanks for all of the insight!

@rose135 Yes she loves it there. The MHC dorms are gorgeous, and the facilities are great. She’s enjoying the skiing at the moment too. SLC is a very nice town, and really convenient, and she’s made a lot of friends in her sorority.

@Twoin18. Thats great. My son is graduating from the U in May. He has loved his 4 years there and may end up living and working there after graduation. It went so fast (for us anyway) He was in MHC for 2 years then off campus. The skiing is great, expecting 30" tomorrow! This East Coast parent would love to have both kids in Salt Lake next year!