Scholarship application for what?

DS has been accepted, and has received the presedential. The UA site says that once accepted, you need to apply for scholarships. We thought that was for departmental, but today he received a letter awarding the engineering scholarship. So now we are wondering what is left to apply for? I’ve read through most of the posts, and maybe this is answered somewhere, but I didn’t see it. Are there scholarships for OOS students beyond the two he’s already gotten? Or does he have to do the scholarship app to confirm what he’s already been awarded?

And to piggy back on the question above, what is the current decision on stacking? Can the $2500 per year Engineering Department Scholarship Stack with the National Merit Finalist Package or Presidential Elite Scholarships?

Reference " Merit scholarship awards will not exceed a semester’s tuition" it would appear department scholarships are moot for those with Presidential Elite or NM awards.

Also, @ChattaChia , if I recall correctly the “scholarship application” was like a one page addendum. I bet he already did it possibly.

@DavidPuddy No, he and I discussed it when we thought it was for Engineering. He hasn’t done it yet.

@mom2collegekids Any insights?

We went back and looked. DP Jr. submitted a scholarship application, so it now says “Thank you for submitting your scholarship application to The University of Alabama for the 2018 - 2019 academic year. Should you be awarded any scholarships you will be notified by letter in mid to late March.”

It also listed by name the one specific scholarship applied for , which we don’t recall selecting, and which is no better than the Presidential Elite or National Merit Finalist Package anyway.

So, it would appear, departmental awards (like the engineering one) are not tied to submitting the additional scholarship application. It would also appear there was no point in submitting the extra scholarship application for DP Jr.

Still outstanding, can departmental scholarships be stacked, although they answer there appears to be “no”.

I know it can be stacked with Presidential, not sure about NMF

My son completed the additional form. It only takes 5 minutes so we figured why not. He got an additional award on top of the Presidential award. No idea if it was related to him filling in the application but how would we ever know?

Interesting.

I’m positive that I’ve seen the engineering scholarship combined with presidential conversation in the Alabama threads. Plus, my son already got both letters of award…you may not know about the NMSF until it’s announced and Alabama knows. I’m sure @mom2collegekids would know. I’m hoping to draw her in to this thread…haha.

We will fill out the form, I just wondered what scholarships are actually offered from that app. We need to do the honors app too.

Eng’g stacks with Presidential.

Eng’g no longer stacks with NMF.

<<<
ACT: 30-36 composite score
Old SAT: 1330-1600 critical reading + math score
New SAT: 1390-1600 score on redesigned exam
These awards are automatically offered to freshmen entering fall 2018 directly from high school, regardless of residency. Engineering Scholarship Program awards will stack on top of scholarships offered by Undergraduate Admissions (excepting National Merit Finalist packages). Students must be formally admitted to UA by December 15, 2017; and must declare Engineering major by May 1, 2018, to qualify.

Should a merit scholarship recipient be named a National Merit Finalist, their Engineering Leadership Scholarship will be replaced by the National Merit Finalist Scholarship Package.
<<<

As for submitting the scholarship app… if you’ve already received the Presidential and eng’g, then it’s unlikely you’re going to receive anything else unless there’s something that you’re uniquely qualified for. It’s a short app, so just fill it out.

@Britchick1 - Dow much was the award? Is he majoring in engineering?

@Windows16 DS is majoring in Mechanical Engineering. I can’t remember the value of the actual award but we were notified of it in response to a couple of emails we sent in to the Director of Admissions. It is stackable on top of the Presidential award.

The engineering award is $2500

DS also received the Presidential (letter yesterday) and applied to engineering. Hoping for the extra $2,500. @ChattaChia do you mind sharing stats? He has 33 ACT, 4.7 weighted and top 3%, we are OOS.

Sure, he applied with a 34 and 3.9 unweighted. We just found out that the retake of the act that his school had all seniors do in October resulted in him getting a 36. We will be submitting that as soon as the scores are online along with a revised transcript showing weighted GPA, hoping to get the elite. He will also be applying for honors, hoping for cbhp (under its new name).

@ChattaChia that’s amazing. What an accomplishment. Good luck with the elite!!