Scholarship Questions

<p>I was accepted to Alabama in September, and currently qualify for the UA Scholar scholarship. I received a letter recently informing me I would be receiving an additional $2500 per year for tuition from the college of engineering, provided I maintain a 3.0. I am taking the SAT one final time in December in hopes of raising my score to a 1400+ to get the Presidential scholarship. Assuming that I am able to raise my score to 1400, what would happen to my $2500 scholarship?</p>

<p>It will ‘stack’ on top of the Presidential scholarship, so could be used towards room, etc. </p>

<p>The Presidential scholarship zeroes out the tuition line item on your MyBama account.</p>

<p>You get the $2500 scholarship for each year you remain in the engineering college and maintain the 3.0. Roll Tide!!</p>

<p>If you already have an ACT 30, and you’re an eng’g major, then Eng’g is giving you an add’l 1/3 tuition PLUS 2500 per year. this is on top of UA Scholar.</p>

<p>If you get the ACT 32, then you get the Presidential and the 2500 per year.</p>

<p>As an engineering major there is no monetary change. If you are getting the $2500 you are also getting full tuition. Getting the Presidential would allow you to change out of engineering to any other major and still keep your full tuition but you would lose the $2500 if you left engineering.</p>

<p>My son is planning to attend the University of Alabama in Fall 2014 and major in engineering. It is my understanding that since he scored high enough on the SAT (1530) and has a 4.3 GPA, he will be awarded the Presidential scholarship. (We live out of state.) And as an engineering major, he will also receive $2500 per year. My son has applied for an ROTC scholarship. If he were to be awarded the ROTC scholarship, does anyone know if the ROTC scholarship could be “stacked” with the other 2 scholarships? Thank you.</p>

<p>How much does the ROTC scholarship cover?</p>

<p>I’m not sure what the answer is. In the past, the scholarships did stack. And, I know that those with GI benefits also got the merit scholarships. however, no one here has asked about ROTC.</p>

<p>My daughter receives the presidential and GI bill benefits. I would guess that your son would receive ROTC scholarship and his admissions scholarship. ROTC only covers tuition plus stipend correct? The admissions scholarships are written so that they can be applied to cover costs outside of just tuition.</p>

<p>Collegerealsoon: Is your son’s ROTC scholarship Army? If it is Army you can use the ROTC scholarship to cover room and board instead of tuition. AF and Navy do not allow this. Also, I believe in the past UA has allowed ROTC recipients to use their Presidential scholarships to cover R&B, thus stacking the scholarships no matter which ROTC scholarship one had.</p>

<p>Note that an AROTC scholarship used for R&B rather than tuition becomes taxable income.</p>

<p>M2CK - The ROTC scholarship is going to cover full tuition, a book allowance and a monthly stipend. The book allowance and stipend varies by branch.</p>

<p>So, am I understanding this correctly…</p>

<p>The ROTC scholarship is Tuition plus Stipend.</p>

<p>If so, then Bama will award the Presidential and Eng’g scholarships to the student’s acct to be used for whatever…housing, meals, etc.</p>

<p>What I’m not sure of is what the military will do…I’m not sure if they’ll reduce any of THEIR money IF they see that Bama is giving you so much money. Obviously, the $25k per year from Bama covers more than R&B. Don’t know what the military will then do.</p>

<p>The ROTC scholarship would not be reduced, outside scholarships are allowed to cover expenses outside of those covered by the ROTC scholarship.</p>

<p>^^</p>

<p>I agree that outside scholarships can be used to cover other expenses. However, what if the COA is $45k, and the ROTC scholarship is $35k, and the Bama scholarship is $25k? At that point, the student would be getting $15k over COA. Would that be a problem for the ROTC? Maybe at that point, ROTC would reduce to get the total down to $45k? I’m just wondering…I don’t know.</p>

<p>Do departmental scholarships used for R&B become taxable income?</p>

<p>Carcode, basically yes (to the student).</p>

<p>ROTC is going to pay the tuition and stipend. It will not be reduced. They are not going to be concerned with any other scholarships that a student has.</p>

<p>Do departmental scholarships used for R&B become taxable income?</p>

<p>Scholarships/grants used for tuition (and I think fees) and books are not taxable to the student. </p>

<p>So, if you’re using the Eng’g scholarship for fees and books, then not much would be used towards R&B.</p>

<p>And a student really doesn’t “pay taxes” unless his total taxable income is over about $5000 (not sure of the exact number). </p>

<p>The housing scholarship, even if used for honors housing, is not valued at that high. It’s valued at about $5,000.</p>

<p>Thank you all for your responses. My son has applied for an Air Force ROTC scholarship. There are 3 different types:<br>
Type 1 - Full tuition for 4 years
Type 2 - 18K per year for 4 years
Type 7 - about 13.5 K per year for 4 years
All types also pay for books, fees, and a stipend. And at this point we do not know which type, if any, he may receive.</p>

<p>I didn’t realize that any extra money would be considered taxable income so that is good to know. </p>

<p>If the value of these scholarships is more than the total expenses, what would happen then? Thank you.</p>

<p>the value of these scholarships is more than the total expenses, what would happen then? Thank you.</p>

<p>Normally, when it just regular scholarship money, it’s given to the student. However, we’re not sure what ROTC does.</p>

<p>AFROTC pays first. It will go to the tuition as room and board is not an option for AFROTC. Any “extra” money would be from the UA scholarships. Some schools pay any overage to the students as cash and others will only pay up to the costs. I do not know UA’s policy on this.</p>

<p>A type 7 may only be used instate or at a school that will charge you instate tuition. It will pay the full amount of instate tuition. A type 7 may be converted to a type 2 for three years. A type 2 can be used instate or out of state but they only pay up to 18k. A type 1 can be used anywhere and there is no upper limit on tuition.</p>

<p>[U.S&lt;/a&gt;. Air Force ROTC - College Scholarships and Careers - Scholarships - For High School Students - Overview](<a href=“http://www.afrotc.com/scholarships/high-school/overview/]U.S”>High School Scholarship Types | Scholarships | U.S. Air Force ROTC)</p>