Scholarships

Does anyone know whether scholarships stack? So for example, could my D get the Chancellors and a department scholarship?

just n=1, but I was able to stack scholarships.

I was able to stack scholarships as well. There’s a chance that you get turned down from some further scholarships because you already won the Chancellor’s scholarship, but only some scholarships look at financial need, and I don’t know if any asked about scholarships you already won. If you have a scholarship that is worth more than the semester tuition bill, the school sends a refund check. This is most common with a year-long scholarship that gives one lump sum a year instead of two a year. In any case, you should definitely keep applying to scholarships and try to get multiple awards.

I am not sure about housing since I don’t know anybody who had a large enough scholarship to cover tuition and housing. UW housing is it’s own company so the housing bill is different than the tuition bill.

As a reminder, if grants and scholarships exceed tuition, fees, textbooks (“qualified education costs”), the excess is taxable income to the student.

Consider asking the donor organization to send an outside scholarship check to the Bursar in the following tax year if there won’t be an excess that year.

See IRS Publication 970.

Re: the housing thing, you can use the refund money to pay for it. Eg. if you received a full ride, the university would calculate estimated living expenses, automatically take out the portion meant for tuition and then refund the estimated living expense money to you for you to use at your own discretion.