Schools with scholarships or merit aid for Journalism?

<p>Wondering if you are aware of any schools that are generous with merit aid for journalism majors.</p>

<p>My daughter is an above average student (will likely end up 3.8 GPA, 28-30 ACT). We have told her that we can afford to send her to an in-state university such as Michigan State - although she would very much like to NOT attend college in Michigan.</p>

<p>Just wondering if there are any OOS schools we should consider that have a solid journalism program and could perhaps offer scholarships or merit aid to bring the cost down closer to our in-state publics. We don't qualify for need-based aid.</p>

<p>Thanks for any suggestions!</p>

<p>wdaveo, My son will be attending Chapman University in Southern CA in the fall, specifically to major in broadcast journalism (part of their well-regarded Dodge College of Film & Media Arts). He received both a Dean’s Scholarship and a separate journalism scholarship, which made this fairly pricey private school very affordable for us. </p>

<p>Both the U of Oregon and the U of Missouri also extended generous merit aid, including separate journalism scholarships.</p>

<p>My S just finished up his sophomore year in sports journalism-broadcasting at Marshall University in Huntington, WV. Yes, it’s off the beaten path, but its programs and students win awards from organizations such as the National Broadcast Society and the Society of Professional Journalists year after year after year, often beating out larger “brand name” schools. My S has had opportunities there he never would have had at a larger school. He went to the sports department meeting his first week of freshman year and was on the air doing color for minor sports a month later. They do offer merit aid - S has gotten $2,600 over the past two years in addition to his West Virginia PROMISE scholarship - but at $13,480 per year for OOS tuition and fees, it might not be as much of an issue as it would at, say, Syracuse. You and your D should check it out.</p>