Science at Bama / NMS

<p>Anyone out there who is (or has a kid who is) a Presidential scholar studying the sciences at Bama? Would like to know how the rigor of the programs are, and if there are any subject areas that are particularly strong. Also, whether many of the courses are taught by TAs rather than the professors.</p>

<p>Thanks in advance. Just starting to learn more about Bama since the NMS notification and getting mail from them.</p>

<p>Re: Science majors (STEM) and Grad students/TAs teaching</p>

<p>I don’t think any of the science classes are taught by TAs.</p>

<p>My older son (NMF) graduated last May in Math and the only grad students he had were for a jogging class and a conditioning class…a prof isn’t needed for that. lol</p>

<p>My younger son has the Presidential scholarship and he’s a junior in Chemical Engineering and he’s pre-med. He’s only had a grad student for an Italian conversation class. </p>

<p>Grad students are used to help during labs, to tutor, to grade papers, and proctor exams.</p>

<p>You should visit Bama. You’d be amazed. :)</p>

<p>You know, it’s interesting. When I went to college for Chemical Engineering, I was actually happy to get a TA teaching…because most of the professors could not communicate or speak English well. It sounds like the professors at UA are actually good educators. That’s great to hear.</p>

<p>Certainly thinking about a visit. It’s a lonnnnnnng way from home for us. Son is a classic nerd and proud of it; loves the sciences but also has strong humanities interests. Likely bio major but not pre-med – aspiring scientist. Not a sports fan AT ALL. </p>

<p>He definitely wants to be in a community where he would be amongst his people. Sounds like the honors college could be that, despite the potential for huge culture shock going to a big “rah rah” school so far away.</p>

<p>Your son sounds A LOT like my son. My son will be studying Computer Science but he seriously considered History for awhile. He is a musician and does NOT like sports at all. I don’t think my son would be considering UA if not for the honors college. </p>

<p>I highly recommend you visit. We were going to wait until April to visit but decided that we needed to get to a decision point sooner. My son is definitely leaning towards UA…it may only be the distance that holds him back, but I don’t see that happening.</p>

<p>*Not a sports fan AT ALL. </p>

<p>*</p>

<p>Older son was as far from being a sports fan as possible. No interest at all in football before he went to Bama. He went along with a roommate to a game (he did have the frosh football pkg which I insisted upon) and became a fan. I’m not saying that will happen to your son, but don’t be surprised if it does. A Bama gameday is more than just football…it’s music, singing, dancing, food…it’s full entertainment.</p>

<p>However, if your son never catches Bama Fever, that is fine. While many kids go to games, many don’t as well.</p>

<p>bookmobile,</p>

<p>My son is a biology major freshman at UA, plans on getting his Phd and doing original research for a career, and is not a sports fan. So far, he has had tremendous opportunities at UA and is enjoying his time there. You really should visit UA and see if it sells itself to your son just as it has to so many others who post here.</p>

<p>That’s good to hear. Our info-seeking is in its early stages so I know very little about the outcomes for bio/science students at 'Bama. My son too talks about a PhD.</p>

<p>UAB (Birmingham) also in the University of Alabama system… offers nmf full rides too. (dont get an ipad though) UAB has a very strong sci/tech honors program as well… if you would like more info please pm me as uab doesnt have its own forum…but if interested in sciences it would be worth it to also look at it. Different vibe, different campus, but known for its strength in sciences and health related majors… </p>

<p>sci tech program gives you research from freshman year and pays for 2 years of your phd</p>

<p>I about fell out of my seat when my ‘sports-hating’ son stated that he might actually go to the games. This was during University Days. Let me tell you…if there was ever a kid who hates sports, it’s my son. He was particularly happy to hear that there is a special section in the stadium for honors students (is this true?) He really hates crowds, noise and obnoxious kids (his words…not mine).</p>

<p>Special section in stadium for honors? That is a riot if true. </p>

<p>Parent56, I will have my son look more closely at both the UA and UAB sites. Thanks for the tip.</p>

<p>Here’s what I found on the website about honors seating at football games (not sure if anyone really cares, but this seems important to my son.)</p>

<p>Home Game Tailgates: Join other Honors College students on the Quad (in front of Nott Hall) for a fun and exciting tailgate leading up to Crimson Tide football games! Free hot dogs, chips, and drinks. Watch the game under our cool tent if you do not have a ticket.</p>

<p>Student Organization Seating: Following our tailgate, head over to Bryant-Denny stadium to sit in reserved Honors College seating. These prime seats are located in the center of the South Endzone.</p>

<p>Away Game Watching Party: Cheer on the Crimson Tide alongside other Honors College students at the Zone (inside Bryant-Denny stadium). Game watching party will be hosted once every football season for one of the Tide’s away games. Food and refreshments provided.</p>

<p>Many STEM PhD programs are fully funded. Older son (NMF Bama grad '11) is a PhD student at a Top 20 university…all fully paid with generous stipend.</p>

<p>Every PhD acceptance came fully funded.</p>

<p>^^thats true, my S2 probably wont use it, but some kids might…just like some already have an ipad some dont :)</p>

<p>My son is an engineering major at Bama, in the computer based honors program, but his first college visit was to UAB, which he really liked. It is definitely worth a look if you’re heading down this way to visit Bama and have time. Son’s interest is biomedical engineering, so he intends to go to grad school, and having the NMS package, plus research opportunities, is a big plus.</p>

<p>Another science-focused NMSF (4.13/2290) on the way to Tuscaloosa (thanks to M2CK for invaluable assistance along the way)… </p>

<p>Confirmation<br>
Thank you for submitting your application to the Honors College. Please check your Crimson email for confirmation of receipt of this application.</p>

<p>My daughter is a freshman bio major, with concentration in molecular biology, who also plans to go on to do original research after getting a Ph.D. in genetics. She plans to go to UAB because everyone accepted into their grad program is fully funded. She’ll probably consider any school that will fully fund her (especially if she could get to New York City by attending Columbia). </p>

<p>She’s also minoring in music (flute) and has also just decided to minor in psychology. Just in case she doesn’t like genetics research as much as she thinks she will and she decides to go into neurobiological research instead. She definitely wants to be a research scientist of some kind, though, and has no plans at all for med school.</p>

<p>She’s not a big football fan, but she enjoys the games as she’s part of the Million Dollar Band this year. Probably her last year in band as next semester and next fall she’ll be part of the Emerging Scholars program and heavily involved in research opportunities, which she hopes to continue through all her years at Bama.</p>

<p>Wow, BAMAMom2Be, congrats to your brilliant daughter for finding her niche in Tuscaloosa; it is great to see smart kids getting to spread their wings.</p>

<p>She’s smart, but she puts in an awful lot of hard work and effort, too! By the way, I just got off the phone with her, and she’s thinking of adding a second major to the above list: marine biology. I think she may be certifiably insane at this point!</p>

<p>Then again, when I was in school, I remember having lists about twenty miles long of all the classes that sounded interesting. I could have happily been a student for my entire life, if I’d just been independently wealthy!</p>

<p>For all those wondering if UA could be a good fit for them, UA is the only school to which my D would even consider applying. I tried to get her to branch out, but she wouldn’t even consider it.</p>

<p>She did have the benefit of being on campus for competitions with her high school band, attending Crimson Camp, Honor Band, and All State Orchestra, so she already knew she’d found her people.</p>

<p>She also had a lot of upperclassmen high school friends who went to UA that she kept in touch with, and headed how much they continued to love their campus experiences. </p>

<p>She always has a large circle of friends, and can make a new good friend in about five minutes. If any of you newbies go down for a campus visit and would like to try to meet her and talk with her about her experiences, send me a PM. I’ll be happy to check to see if she’s available to meet with you.</p>