Science Classes?

<p>How many students are there in the science classes, on average? (Specifically for pre-med)</p>

<p>100 level courses are in the 150 range, 200 level courses 30-50 and 300 level course can be 10-30 depending. Is that what you meant??</p>

<p>Thanks a bunch! :)</p>

<p>NarissaBabie. I also don’t know if you have heard yet, but if you or someone is thinking about premed, UM offers the Prism program. This program is designed for premed students and has very small accelerated classes where students integrate math heavily into the science curriculum. The program has its pros and cons but as a premed student if you are looking for small classes, that is a way to find them.</p>

<p>Thanks, Oceanchem! I’ve heard about it, and I’ve gotten mixed reviews; some people love it, while some people are sore since they don’t let you AP-out of any class except maybe calculus. </p>

<p>Do you know when they choose people for the prism program? I was accepted early decision and meet the criteria. :)</p>

<p>I was offered the option in early March after being accepted EA. I got a letter one day in the mail. I have also heard mixed review due to the fact that they don’t accept many AP’s in the program. The classes themselves are very well structured from what I hear and the professors are top notch but the trade off is the chance of having to repeat material you did in high school.</p>

<p>Thanks! :slight_smile: Personally, I’d much rather repeat those classes cause college is structured differently than high school: especially the science labs. Plus, they’re GPA boosters! :)</p>

<p>^I wouldn’t go so far as to say they’re GPA boosters. From what I’ve heard, PRISM is a GPA killer, solely due to the fact that you’re basically taking all your core science and math courses in the first two years. As a person who was in a PRISM class but is not in PRISM, I can say that the classes are better taught and it is more of a learning community than taking normal classes. However, not being able to use AP credits and having essentially 90% of your schedule as math and science courses for the first 4 semesters are pretty big turn-offs, especially if you’re on the pre-med track (known for being very competitive GPA-wise). The decision is up to you, but I would advise you to seriously look at how many credits you’d be coming in with and whether you could handle that many science and math courses in your first two years.</p>

<p>Thanks for the advice, Marinebio44! I’m actually taking two AP sciences this year (physics C, both mech and E&M, and chemistry) along with AP calc and AP literature. People have deemed my workload “unbelievable,” but I don’t actually think it’s so bad. In fact, taking all math and science courses for two years is exactly what I’d see myself doing anyway. That way, I’d be able to take my MCAT before or during my junior year. :)</p>

<p>Will you know your AP scores before the deadline to accept the PRISM invite? I can’t remember when you had to accept or not… If the deadline is after the release of AP scores, I’d say wait on it. 5’s on Chem, Physics, and Calc would give you 19 credits that you wouldn’t have to take if you weren’t in PRISM, which is a pretty hefty number of classes that you’d have to re-take. My situation is a bit different, since I’m also a Foote Fellow, but because of my AP credits in combination with that I’ve been able to add a major and a minor to my already double major, and I’ve been able to take upper level electives and interesting courses early in my college career. Like I said, I’m not telling you one way or another, I’m just saying to weigh your options.</p>

<p>Thank you! AP scores don’t come out until the first or second week of July, which seems a bit late. Congrats on being a Foote Fellow! May I ask your stats from high school?</p>